The Sword of Islam 0.4.0 Discussion

No I don't mean that,I mean this:
Then I thought he must be very young
Though I came to a conclusion in myself that he is probably young
But why can't I build war elephants as non-Indian civs?
Even if I have all the requirements?

No I don't mean that,I mean this:

But why can't I build war elephants as non-Indian civs?
Even if I have all the requirements?

Listen Civciv5, for a the "Grand Emperor of Asia", you don't seem to understand Asian history very well. First off this mod is based on history, but allows you to do your own thing (rather than vanilla version for example). But because this mod is rooted in history, civilizations that historically never got elephants, horse archers, heavy cavalry, will never get them in game, but have alternatives. Also you should be able to understand the border/core provinces idea. Basically ONLY build/conquer cities in places that are your border or core provinces, and you will be safe. Check out your civilizations provinces, and you can get a better feel of where to expand to, and where not to expand to.

Elephants are special units for civs in India, they replace Lancers like UUs (in latest SVN version, they replace Horse Archers/Horsemen instead). Like The Turk said, it's the same as with civs like Kingdom of Jerusalem not being able to build Horse Archers. Historically it wasn't their type of warfare.

However, if you have a city in India, you can actually get Elephants as any civ, including Yemen, by hiring them in the Mercenaries screen.

About the URVS:

Sunni URV is moderate in diffculty due to the different GPs; spreading Sunni is also quite easy, but requires some work. The easiest part is becoming Royal Saint, perhaps the last decade (90-100) could be twice as hard to climb? Or then some relics could be required at some point.
The multiple GP requirement is great. Spreading Sunni and becoming a Royal Saint are too closely related though.

Shia URV is usually a lot of fun, since while spawning Great Saints you usually have rage around for some relics. Making Shia the dominant religion can be easily linked to the relic hunt. Best URV in my opinion.
Agree, this one is good all-round fun.

The Orthodox URV is the most complex due to the befriending, while planning to backstab your friends. Also you can do the cathedrals first and hope that they don't get destroyed at any point, like I did in my Byzantine game. Becoming Royal Saint is really easy once again.
The befriending requirement needs to be tinkered so that Vassals' attitudes are correctly displayed, this is annoying. The cathedrals one is a bit boring, but a hard challenge for Armenia/Georgia to pull off.

Hindu URV is perhaps the one I like the least. All the goals are pretty simple and you can easily turtle in Hindustan. Getting Dwarka to produce 100gpt is really easy to accomplish via the abundant different strategies.
Agree again. This URV appeals so little to me that I haven't actually seriously attemped it.

Catholic URV is quite difficult and requires you to really build up an army and fight your way to it. Basically it really differs from the other one, which makes it good one as well.
Definitely a challenge. The flavour feels right.

I was playing with the Mughals and was wondering, what is the earliest time I can research the tech for my unique unit? It seemed to me it's very late in the game, I didn't have it when there were only like 50 turns left. I know I could've done better, but I still managed to conquer the needed regions with heavy horse archers and cannons (well, even without cannons, in a mongol style).

Also, I had a problem in that the Mulwa sultanate became vassal to me and I couldn't attack them and thus failed the UHV. Could there please be an option to declare war on them? Thx.

You don't have to accept when they offer to be your vassal. Next time, suggest you just click NO.

You don't have to accept when they offer to be your vassal. Next time, suggest you just click NO.
Yes, I thought so - just it was a bit unnerving to find it out after a very long time has passed...Also what if I wanted them to be my vassals at earlier times (so that I can focus on other civs)? (Of course if attacking vassals would be implemented,it should incur some diplomatic penalty with others or the like)

If you capitulate a civ to vassal status, you can aggravate them enough (via diplomacy) to get them to declare war on you. Or if they get big enough on you they can declare on you if they are upset enough too.

But if you voluntarily accept them, they're stuck with you until they collapse or are eliminated. So you could perhaps try to get them to switch civics a lot via bribery and see if you can't collapse them, that's about all there is available to get rid of voluntary vassals.

But voluntary vassals can quit on their own, too (peacefully). I'm not sure what controls it, and I'm afraid it's more when they think you can't provide sufficient protection to them, but maybe annoying them works, too.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0107.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0107.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 300
I´ve played as various civs until I thought it might be fun to try the Mamluks. So I´m off to a glorious start, assimilating and conquering my way to Antioch (the Levant being 1 of the UHVs), when all of a sudden there´s an event message telling me some Malinese high roller goes to visit Mecca and distributes 100 pound of gold among my native population, giving me +100 % inflation. So my measly income drops to below zero and EVEN WHEN I´M RUNNING ZERO TAXES INCOME STILL GOES DOWN. (If I didn´t have some cash in reserve all of Mamluk Egypt would already be totally bankrupt.) Anyway, I now have 0 research, I can´t build anything but economic improvements, hoping to get income back into positive, and meanwhile I´m at war with Byzantium and Antioch.

So I´m curious as to WHAT THE HELL THE POINT IS OF THIS EVENT. I mean, 100 % inflation? Really? :aargh:

EDIT: @Civciv5: City name may be missing, but you picked the wrong spot. 2 tiles to the right you´d have had 2 resources instead of 1. (Which is what I did, and I got my city named.) ;)

It's supposed to make you ragequit :D

Seriously though, the Mamluks would be overpowered without it. Your economy does improve again over time, though; just build gold buildings and build wealth during the early turns to hold on to your treasury. I've been able to return to 60% research without deficit relatively quickly.

Does the event happen to all factions? iv only had the event as the Mamluks but do other civs owning mecca also get the event?

Also, does it happen at a certain date? would it be possible to hold off on invading mecca untill after the mali king as done the Hajj before claiming the city or does it always happen to the player that owns it?

It happens to you even if you don't hold Mecca. Owning a city in the way of the Mansa Musa Hajj is enough (from egypt to mecca, including medina), and therefore all Egyptian civs can have that event (and most of the time, will have that event).

It's supposed to make you ragequit :D

I did stop playing, because it´s been 10+ turns where I can´t build anything while being at war.

Seriously though, the Mamluks would be overpowered without it. Your economy does improve again over time, though; just build gold buildings and build wealth during the early turns to hold on to your treasury. I've been able to return to 60% research without deficit relatively quickly.

I was playing lowest difficulty and had just captured Tyre. At that point I made peace with Antioch, as my units had run out of steam (capturing Levant and Hedjaz not being the only UHV, as the Mamluks also need to have Cairo get the biggest city in the world - which means serious health problems in their capital).

If you switch to only building cash buildings, that still doesn´t solve the 100 % inflation. If you switch all cities to Wealth, that will solve the income crash, but you still can´t build anythign of use. My point is: ONE HUNDRED PERCENT inflation is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

If you switch to only building cash buildings, that still doesn´t solve the 100 % inflation. If you switch all cities to Wealth, that will solve the income crash, but you still can´t build anythign of use. My point is: ONE HUNDRED PERCENT inflation is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I just completed the Mamluk UHV on the Emir difficulty.

The inflation crippled me to the point where i had to keep my sliders all set at 0 for awhile... but my production was still excellent so i could still churn out the troops for my conquests, although mecca was the last place i invaded for the UHV goal ( i took it around 1300 or 1350 or so) so i had nearly all of my cities with economic buildings in already.

After awhile i was able to bring my science slider up to 10-20%, although in terms of techs that i needed, i was so far ahead by the time i got the event that i didnt really need any more aside from the one to get the Mamluks UU, which i didnt really need anyways.
Won the game with all the UHV land, plus Yemen, the Kingdom of Cilcia's land, and a bit of Makurias land :)
although i was lagging in tech in the end compared to the Mughals.

Well, good for you then, but the inflation event hit me like 10+ turns after I started. (I had maybe 1-2 techs researched, when I got stuck.) By the way, if the Mamluks are overpowered (I couldn´t really tell in my game), the inflation is off the scale. Even the huge influx of silver from America didn´t hit Spain with 100 % inflation.

It happens to you even if you don't hold Mecca. Owning a city in the way of the Mansa Musa Hajj is enough (from egypt to mecca, including medina), and therefore all Egyptian civs can have that event (and most of the time, will have that event).
Really? I thought it only affected the Egyptian dynasties. Gotta be careful when I conquer Egypt next time.

I did stop playing, because it´s been 10+ turns where I can´t build anything while being at war.

I was playing lowest difficulty and had just captured Tyre. At that point I made peace with Antioch, as my units had run out of steam (capturing Levant and Hedjaz not being the only UHV, as the Mamluks also need to have Cairo get the biggest city in the world - which means serious health problems in their capital).

As I said, be patient, the effect of inflation gets less over time.

Well, good for you then, but the inflation event hit me like 10+ turns after I started. (I had maybe 1-2 techs researched, when I got stuck.) By the way, if the Mamluks are overpowered (I couldn´t really tell in my game), the inflation is off the scale. Even the huge influx of silver from America didn´t hit Spain with 100 % inflation.
That doesn't sound like working as intended. But the Mansa Musa gold did collapse the Egyptian economy. 100% inflation is just the game terms way of making that happen.

Really? I thought it only affected the Egyptian dynasties. Gotta be careful when I conquer Egypt next time.

Well I'm not 100% certain, but IIRC it happened to me with the Abbasids after I had taken Medina, although I'm not entirely sure. Or perhaps it was when I had conquered Egypt, can't remember... Probably Egypt.

As I said, be patient, the effect of inflation gets less over time.

I beg to differ. Here´s what happened:

1308 inflation hits
1362 science rate at 10 %
1380 science rate at 10 % (so from 1362 to 1380 again 0 science - note that Wealth can´t be built, because it hasn´t been discovered yet)°°
1432 science rate at 20 % (so first real improvement takes over 70 years)
1450 science rate at 10 % and plague hits
- Mamluks declared wealthiest state in the world (at 613 gold reserve)
- science rate at 20 %
1488 science rate at 20 % (so from 1472 to 1488 again 10 % science)
1507 Medina taken
1513 Mecca taken (Mamluks have conquered Hedjaz, part of the 1° UHV)
1520 (or thereabouts) Portuguese appear and 1° rebel army appears near Aswan (these will continue to appear from there on, although they make no attempt to take any cities - they just go stand on some resource and do nothing)
1542 3 cities running on Wealth (advance finally discovered)
- Antioch DOWs on Mamluks :lol: (I was planning on DOW them, but OK)
- 4 cities running on Wealth
1565 science rate at 20 % (so from 1488 to 1565 again 10 % science)
1568 science rate at 30 %
1575 Damascus taken
1597 Damascus almost lost but Antioch collapses (they had taken Baghdad, way out of their league)
- science rate at 20 %
- 6 cities running on Wealth

But wait, it gets better:

1616 Safavids take 1° place, Portuguese down from 2° to 7° place
1622 Portuguese collapsing
1624 Portuguese lose Goa (their capital)
- Antioch taken (Mamluks complete UHV)
- science rate at 30 %
- Mughals come in 2° place
- 9 cities running on Wealth
- still 38 turns to go to Navigation (which only gives +1 sea movement), so I´m stuck with Caravels trying to sink Carracks...

°° By the way, Ibn Battuta´s Embassy only revealed the map, no contact was made with all civilizations (which might have boosted the Mamluks economy a bit)

That doesn't sound like working as intended. But the Mansa Musa gold did collapse the Egyptian economy. 100% inflation is just the game terms way of making that happen.

Right. So you´re stuck with like ZERO SCIENCE FOR OVER 125 YEARS. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom