FfH 2 Manual

Xienwolf, I'm not sure but I think that Breweries give +2 xp to Dwarves built in city. It was like that few versions ago. It is not documented in FfH2, but it was like that from FfH1 where Dwarves had their own unitclass.

Damnit, already 2 days into working on the new manual and all I have managed to do is finish the BUILDABLE units. :( New format won't require much for me to update, but it sure takes ages to create :(

Anyway, Probably won't be jumping straight to a 2.0 release like I wanted to since I REALLY want to get it out before I jump back into school. So I'll just clip out the sections which aren't complete when I release it.

I've been thinking about the idea of including a section on "Bugs & Glitches" like the WoC hang-ups. But basically all I would be able to say is "It happens, too bad" since once the cause is found it is typically fixed quickly. So I do not think I'll include that.

And someone requested a Lightbulbing chart in Greyfox's thread, but I am sad to say that is the LAST item on my personal list, since it requires quite a bit of work to sort out the exact priorities and I don't generally lightbulb, hence don't know ANY of the paths yet. But if someone else compiles one and I just have to cut/paste & Format I'll happily include it.

Hi Xienwolf - great manual but a couple of things missing I, as a semi-new player, couldn't find.

- No explanation of what tech brings the Infernals into play
- No explanation of graveyards
- Sheelba says I lack grace - what is that plz (if I was completely new I would ask that - I think maybe it's because I'm male??)?
- Why couldn't I build Rosier when I was Hyborem but I could before as Malakim?

I'll edit this as I play. Great manual with great aesthetics and layout!

Hi Xienwolf - great manual but a couple of things missing I, as a semi-new player, couldn't find.

- No explanation of what tech brings the Infernals into play
- No explanation of graveyards
- Sheelba says I lack grace - what is that plz (if I was completely new I would ask that - I think maybe it's because I'm male??)?
- Why couldn't I build Rosier when I was Hyborem but I could before as Malakim?

I'll edit this as I play. Great manual with great aesthetics and layout!

I'm no Xienwolf, but maybe I can help.

- I believe Infernal Pact is the tech that summons the Infernals. If you are the one to research it first, you are allowed to shift to Hyborem if you choose.

- Graveyards are brand new, and poor Xienwolf is always trying to keep up as it is. They're similar to goody huts, only they can release nastier swarms of enemies if you're unlucky, and give much better techs if you're lucky (I heard of one players getting Bowyers without the prereqs...)

- Sheelba wouldn't know grace if it smacked her in the face. Os-Gabella would have said that though, and yes, it's because you were a male leader.

- Assuming your Rosier problem was within the same game, then Hyborem couldn't build him BECAUSE the Malakim did -- he is a hero, which is classed as a world unit, meaning it can only be built once per game, and never replaced if lost.

Grunthex is right on all the points :) And thanks much for the feedback on the content.

I am actually busy doing a huge overhaul of the manual, but lacking in time so it is taking quite a while. The new one makes it perfectly clear how to get Hyborem and Basium though, and will explain the Graveyards completely. I hadn't thought about the Special Diplo Penalty for Os-Gabella, so I'll add that into my notes :)

To build Rosier (if this is a seperate game and you did't build him as your prior Civ), you must have Ashen Veil as your state religion and know Corruption of Spirit. Both of which should always be the case for Hyborem though... There is the small chance that one of the AI beat you to building him.

Oh, and please just make new posts as you play :) Editing won't bump the thread so I will never notice the new information :(

NP. Weird thing is I wanted to build ROsier straight away as Infernals but I couldn't. Malakim built him a bit later (but well after I tried checking for him). Don't know what I did wrong...

More Questions from a semi-newbie:
- Why can't I upgrade to e.g. Bronze weapons? I have copper! (The bronze working tech but not mentioned in the manual or pedia) EDIT: Also it might be worth explaining why you can have apparent access to copper but not have it as a resource! To a newbie I think that's confusing.
- minor spelling error p8 Kael's notes - there should be replaced with their

I'll be sure to discuss how the weapon upgrades become available clearly for people, and probably shall be re-writing everything in the manual just so it doesn't match what you can get from the Civlopedia :)

My best remaining guess for the Infernal problem then would be that in some small way the game still considered the Malakim Cities to be yours or your Ally, thus since they were working on building Rosier it wouldn't allow you to attempt it as well. You should see the same problem for any World Wonder as well, but I imagine that if that was the case it would have been fixed when you reloaded (at the moment you change Civilizations things go a bit buggy in the game, like it will reset all your options to default, even though your options screen shows no change).

Nice work xienwolf. I haven't worked on my manual since I was last online, I've been too busy working on my mod, looking for a job and doing internships.

It's good to have someone with a stable connection who can work on this, I would love to help if I only had internet at home.

And I agree with what Kael said above:
It is a pretty good. I really liked Grey Fox's version because instaed of listing the UU's and UB's he detailed them a little more with the civilization.

Thats the big value in my eyes, having one place a new player can go to for information on all the details about a civ in new player understandable terms. Even Fox's version is a little lacking in this regard, for example he does a great job of drawing out the Firebow as a UU for the Amurites and lists that it starts with Fire I and Channeling II. But that doesnt mean much to a new player. I would love it that next step was taken to say "Firebow's can spend a promotion to learn how to cast fireball" with that unit and really make it meaningful.

Aye, Somewhere I posted a Version 1.5 that is using Open Office because Kael sent me yours and I began to see how much better that was than making it in Word/Excel, then touching it up in Adobe. Thanks for the compliments :)

Ooops, I have deleted my post, wrong thread...
(how do you fully delete the post with Vbulletin?)

I consider myself a beginner after playing FFH2 for 6 months.

I have no clear idea yet concerning point 2, and even less for 3/4/5 as I am still overwhelmed by all the information!
This pdf does not make any competition with the online pedia as I am most of the time not connected. It is a very useful off-line pedia!! It is also more accessible than the regular in-game pedia: The links allow me to go faster than the internal pedia, especially when I have to take a decision and the current window does not allow me to access the F12 pedia!
I used Grey-Fox's guide, even if I did not read it fully (hence my mistake for point 2.a...9, and switch now to Sezereth's manual, because of point 1 (hyperlinks), and more strategy advises.

1. Yes, I do use the links !!!!! It is for me an essential tool!!
Actually, the pdf is open in the background and when I play, I often Alt+Tab for quickly getting info on a civilization or unit.

2. The "strategy part" is essential! When you start a new civ, leader, etc, you wonder/wander about how to proceed without wasting too much turns, units and pleasure.
  1. By instance, I tried last week for the 1st time to play the Infernals. It is after about 80 turns with them that I discovered that food does not matter (I know...). When I discovered this, I had DIS going to a 99 population! However, I still do not understand why DIS revolt every 3 turns or so, with the infernal being at 99% in the city... I found nothing in the offline & online pedia and the pdf.
  2. Also missing for a civilization some advises concerning which civics should be optimum with them (of course, it is perhaps relative, but a clue is often needed).
  3. the unit chart is wonderful: it is printed and stay in front of me when I play. Thank you! But, with current version 0.31(d), I am attacked by a lot of Shadows and do not know how to find and destroy them! Missing a section (or column ... but how as the sheet is already filled with columns...) where there is an explanation about how to counter best this unit or spell.
  4. each top/bottom page should have a link sending you back to the index page (currently page 2)
  5. no spell chart? I have the one (FFHII 0.30f, version 1.1.4) found in a jpg, but did not find one in the manual (except if I missed the page!)

3/4/ ?

5. spell chart? basic strategy divided in 3 parts: starting the game, middle game (ex.: for advanced start), end of game (with the counter >=60...?)?

And thank you for making this manual! ... and placing all links into your signature rather than chasing the various threads!!!

I consider myself a beginner after playing FFH2 for 6 months.

I have no clear idea yet concerning point 2, and even less for 3/4/5 as I am still overwhelmed by all the information!
This pdf does not make any competition with the online pedia as I am most of the time not connected. It is a very useful off-line pedia!! It is also more accessible than the regular in-game pedia: The links allow me to go faster than the internal pedia, especially when I have to take a decision and the current window does not allow me to access the F12 pedia!
I used Grey-Fox's guide, even if I did not read it fully (hence my mistake for point 2.a...9, and switch now to Sezereth's manual, because of point 1 (hyperlinks), and more strategy advises.

1. Yes, I do use the links !!!!! It is for me an essential tool!!
Actually, the pdf is open in the background and when I play, I often Alt+Tab for quickly getting info on a civilization or unit.

2. The "strategy part" is essential! When you start a new civ, leader, etc, you wonder/wander about how to proceed without wasting too much turns, units and pleasure.
  1. By instance, I tried last week for the 1st time to play the Infernals. It is after about 80 turns with them that I discovered that food does not matter (I know...). When I discovered this, I had DIS going to a 99 population! However, I still do not understand why DIS revolt every 3 turns or so, with the infernal being at 99% in the city... I found nothing in the offline & online pedia and the pdf.
  2. Also missing for a civilization some advises concerning which civics should be optimum with them (of course, it is perhaps relative, but a clue is often needed).
  3. the unit chart is wonderful: it is printed and stay in front of me when I play. Thank you! But, with current version 0.31(d), I am attacked by a lot of Shadows and do not know how to find and destroy them! Missing a section (or column ... but how as the sheet is already filled with columns...) where there is an explanation about how to counter best this unit or spell.
  4. each top/bottom page should have a link sending you back to the index page (currently page 2)
  5. no spell chart? I have the one (FFHII 0.30f, version 1.1.4) found in a jpg, but did not find one in the manual (except if I missed the page!)

3/4/ ?

5. spell chart? basic strategy divided in 3 parts: starting the game, middle game (ex.: for advanced start), end of game (with the counter >=60...?)?

And thank you for making this manual! ... and placing all links into your signature rather than chasing the various threads!!!

well, i think you meant xienwolf ;)
i dont have time to maintain a manual, i prefer doing the units ;)

Sorry!!! I like to read both of your posts (Sezereth & Xienwolf), and appreciate very much how you are both dedicated on providing us with tools and great graphics, By the way, thank you Sezereth for having done the "dark style" of civ's background -among many other things- (I hope I do not make another mistake with someone else! Anyway, perhaps should I drink less milk in the morning.).

Excellent manual. I love the direction of this new version. Thanks a lot for the effort :)

Just one thing:
  • In the Spells section you can read: "[...]adepts with body 1 can cast Haste, which will give all units in their stack". I think it'd be nice to clarify that just only affects living units.

And a couple suggestions:
  • Add the unique unit and building charts of a particular civ in their own section too.
  • Put the altar progression chart also in the Victory Conditions section.

I think it'd be nice to have all the essential info about a topic in a single page or section, including the charts.

Yeah I look for xienwolf's signature whenever there's something I want to know! :goodjob:

@jprc: Well, you'll love version 2, there are WAY more links, EVERYWHERE now :) I switched to Open Office, so when I export to PDF all the links are kept. Previously I had to print to PDF and then manually add all the links and it took me nearly 6 hours to do it (thus I would NEVER make a minor revision under this old format!) Also the pictures in the corner of each page are set up to link you: "Evil" (red one on top) links to the Table of Contents, "Good" (white one on top) links to the beginning of the current Section, and "Neutral" (strange one on bottom) links to the beginning of the next section.

I'd be interested to know if you ever found out why the Infernal were going into rebellion every 3 turns, because I have absolutely no idea how it was happening to you. Unless Loki was sitting in your city.

@kenoxite: Unique Units and Buildings in the Civ section is what I am currently placing on the new manual, and as soon as I am done it will replace this manual permanently :) I have yet to fill out all of the details for the spells, promotions, Civics & Technologies, but I assume people would enjoy the manual even with those missing for the moment.

Concerning riots in DIS, no, I strictly have no idea of what happens.
I do not know if it is a bug, I don't think so, and did not report it into the 0.31d bug thread. I guess it can be nice to know why it riots for setting up a good counter strategy, and this can be useful in your manual, perhaps.

Here is a print screen of DIS just the turn before it riots.:
Note that Loki is dead, long ago, and even a 2nd copy of him (which would be a bug) is not visible in the city.
Spoiler :

and now the general screen when rioting:
Note that Loki has been killed long long ago.
Spoiler :

and DIS's status for this riot:
Note that the population felt from 45 to 41 in 1 turn! I do not understand as before rioting, the ration was 44food-45food (starving by 1 only).
By the way, the unhappy population says "viva la resistance" (it should be "Vive la résistance" if in French, or "Viva la resistancia" if Spanish...)
Spoiler :

Constants:
DIS always riots for 3 turns.
It did it also in another game, with Balseraphs not on the map (no Loki)
It does it on a pretty regular cycle, about every 10 turns or so in my other game where it was up to 99 population.

Reproducing the problem:
load the saved file (file attached below), end the turn. DIS should riot.
I also tried starting a Golden Age using my Great Merchand, but to no avail: DIS still riots.

I am sure there is a simple explanation, and too much sun on my head is the main reason (it is now 28c in Maputo, 11h22am, and in 4 hours end of work and I can make a long walk on the 8km sand beach with my little dog...)

Attachments

• Hyborem AD-0291-befoe riot in DIS-Loki already killed.CivBeyondSwordSave
    495.3 KB · Views: 213
Top Bottom