Unit Preview: Legion Etranger (French Foreign Legion

pi8ch

Union's Guard
Legion Etranger (French Foreign Legion)

Because I need a Legion Etranger for my MOD, I thought I simply try to make one.

Everything I did until now was to repaint the Infantry. I deletet the Backpack, and then paintet the typical white hat.

If I get some positive responses I will go on to work on this unit...

This is a more modern division than my unit will be, but you can see the hat!

Attachments

• legion_01.jpg
    legion_01.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 360
And now, my civ unit...

Attachments

• legionetrangerdefault.gif
    legionetrangerdefault.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 361
This is another picture of a more modern parade soldier, but here you have a good view of the hat!

Attachments

• legion_02.jpg
    legion_02.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 345
cool, how about making his u completely tan, white hat, and black web gear. when i trained with them in the 80's thats what there desert u's looked like. if you plan on keeping it for france alone and not for the rest of the civ's.

keep up the good work.

Thank's for the responses!

cool, how about making his u completely tan, white hat, and black web gear. when i trained with them in the 80's thats what there desert u's looked like. if you plan on keeping it for france alone and not for the rest of the civ's.
Sound's cool.. But i will make mine not as modern... I need it for my ww2 MOD
And in Combat I think they don't wore the white hats anyway, so it'S more just to see tha'ts it's Legion Etranger...

I didn't found any good pictures of them out of the ww2 era, but I keep searching...

BTW: I prefer to keep the Civ color, even if it's supposed to be a french UU, but I personally noticed that I like it more, if the units have civcolor ... You simply see faster to wich Civ it belongs...

About modern Legion Etranger...

When i finished this one, I could make a modern one based upon Balou's Light infantry if he doesn't has anything against it.

I would only repaint the hat...

Hey......good idea :goodjob:
Looking good.
Sometimes just changing the hat "does the trick" HAT TRICK :lol:
I can say that because that's basically what I have done for the Reiter and Grenadier :D

ah yes, very good looking unit, around what time frame was this unit around, I want to use it to replace the musketman, rifleman, or infantry, but not sure what would be the most realistic. Thanks, Shramj!

Hey, a Kepi Blanc! Outstanding pi8ch.:goodjob: Thank you very much. Any chance you might also make an earlier version with red pants, blue coat and a neck curtin for the kepi?

I have a small suggestion... Make the upper corners of the hat slightly rounded... At the moment they just look like a square on top of his head when it should be a cylinder. Take a can and look at it from a 45 degree angle if you don't know what I'm babbling about. Here's an image I took and blew up to show what I'm talking about.

Attachments

6.5 KB · Views: 280
for the attack animation he shouldn't have to reload after every shot. mabye he can reload after about 3 or 4 shots, because those rifles could hold around 6-8 shots, especially the M-1 Garand which could hold 8 shots. Also after he is done firing you can make the clip fling back with a *kling* sound, cause in WW2 that was a very familiar sound and the enemy can find you easily when the clip flung out and back.

just a tip cause the standard infantry is from WW1.

Sometimes just changing the hat "does the trick" HAT TRICK
Youp.. :D but i will repaint the pants too...

ah yes, very good looking unit, around what time frame was this unit around, I want to use it to replace the musketman, rifleman, or infantry, but not sure what would be the most realistic. Thanks, Shramj!
I want it for ww2 area, so between Infantry and Mech Infantry, but I didn't found any usable pictures of this time..
In fact on every picture of legion Etranger they are looking different, the parade hat is the only thing that remained nearly unchanged in all the pics...

Any chance you might also make an earlier version with red pants, blue coat and a neck curtin for the kepi?
Hmmm.. Why not.. I would only need to repaint the Rifleman....

for the attack animation he shouldn't have to reload after every shot. mabye he can reload after about 3 or 4 shots, because those rifles could hold around 6-8 shots, especially the M-1 Garand which could hold 8 shots. Also after he is done firing you can make the clip fling back with a *kling* sound, cause in WW2 that was a very familiar sound and the enemy can find you easily when the clip flung out and back.
just a tip cause the standard infantry is from WW1.
Yeah I know!
About hte reload.. The only thing i could do is to scrap reload. The problem is there is one animation where he shoot once - then there is another animation where he reloads once.. They are loaded in line..
The only thing i could do is to make a "big" attack FLC where he shhots three times, but the problem is that the frames are limited, and i fear three shots would be to much...

I have a small suggestion... Make the upper corners of the hat slightly rounded... At the moment they just look like a square on top of his head when it should be a cylinder. Take a can and look at it from a 45 degree angle if you don't know what I'm babbling about. Here's an image I took and blew up to
show what I'm talking about.
I know exactly what you mean.. That's a point where I tired different things yesterday..
(i had much arts at school - I know of perspective things :D)
The problem is that the "round" edge of the hat is only one pixel.. and if I made those edge pixel invisible, the whole hat looks like a ball... that's the problem if you paint at this size...

I tried out several hats with shadow etc but this version looks the best, even if I'm not 100% satisfied with it. In fact this was the reason for my preview... :goodjob:

Here i show you what i mean..
left the "square", right with "rounde" edges

judge yourself... BTW: i can't make the hat bigger, it's bigger than original anyway...

Attachments

• legionetranger_show.gif
    legionetranger_show.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 260
The version on the left, with the square hat look's much better, more Legion Etranger.

Jo!

Another preview!

I'm just working on the Default. I figured out that it looks better with backpack... I startet to repaint the pants...
(knickerbockers are far to British :D )

What Do you think?

Attachments

13.7 KB · Views: 242
Yeah I forgot about the limited pixel thing... It does look better square and I only really noticed it when I look really close... It's good work by the way :)

Thank you!

Yesterday i finished the default...

It's based upon the infantry.. I used the backpack - I personally think it looks better...

I repaintet the hat and the pants (I don't like this wide knickerbockers!)

I know it looks kind of static if the hat doesn't move, but the problem with the square hat is that a moving of 1 pixel to the right or left would look very strange...
You can't animate this sqare hat in this size, becase it doesn't look Legion Etranger if it isn't cubic...
But i hope this won't be a prob in the game...

BTW: I think I will make the reload FLC as victory FLC!
Then It looks as if he only has to reload once after the battle!

here a previev of the default:

Attachments

33.2 KB · Views: 231
Top Bottom