Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

Yes, you can install a single purchase on multiple computers (e.g. desktop and travel computer).

It is technically possible to simultaneous play in off-line mode on multiple computers (although possibly this will be against the license agreement). It is also possible to plan on a LAN while in off-line mode (although the FAQ doesn't specify whether this requires multiple licenses). It is not possible to simultaneously play on-line from multiple computers with a single license.

It's within the rules to install multiple off-line games and play them, the idea being that you can't distribute/pirate the game this way without giving away your Steam account. You could technically get other family members to play it for free, however I hope they'll just ignore this possibility as not worth countering, especially since you can't play online like this.

Its not within the rules, its specifically against EULA rules and is therefore illegal, the reason the limit's in place on Steam do not prevent such activites is not because they are allowed but because to further extend the limits of the DRM they will impeed on genuine customers who use the offline mode because they lack an internet connection.

2k Certainly does not promote using the Steam software incorrectly, the only way to legally play with friends and family on multiple PC's is to buy multiple copies, Steam/2k Is well within thier rights to stop the abuse of the easy-going offline mode by impeeding on genuine customers legal use of the offline mode I hope they don't however just because of a few criminals who think its thier right to break the law.

Guys, guys, we're on the same side here. The question was about whether you can install the game on two computers (that is, a home desktop and a travel laptop) at the same time. In my post I indicated that while it's technically possible to do simultaneous single player, it's probably against the license agreement. Let's not drag this into a wide ranging debate on the finer legal points of an EULA that nobody has read yet. That isn't the point of this thread and that wasn't the point of my post.

Will it be possible to play multiplayer civ5 without broadcasting one's SteamID?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Will it be possible to play multiplayer civ5 without broadcasting one's SteamID?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

I doubt that, your Steam ID is the foundation of the Steam user authentication system. Same as your Gamespy ID name was.

CS

Please note: This is not a rant - I know that in an emotionally heated debate, some readers might perceive it as one, but this is not my intention. I'm trying politely (if a bit desperate) to get an answer to my question, and to describe a state of affairs that strikes me as particularly dissatisfying. The matter should become clearer in the post, unfortunately it has to become a rather large one for this, for which I apologize in advance. The essential question follows at the bottom of the post, in boldface.

On Aug 14th, I asked some questions. I got contradictory answers from two community members. The 2K community manager did not clarify (or reply in any other way). The last time that he showed up in this thread at all was more than three weeks ago, with this post.

Four days later, I replied to an already existing discussion with another post about a similar issue, and asked another question. This post was immediately removed from this FAQ due to the no discussion in this thread rule, and put into a second, non-stickied thread. In this second thread, discussion is actively discouraged by the first post of the community manager:

The community manager himself hasn't shown up in this second thread since this post from more than six weeks ago.

Meanwhile, factually wrong information is piling up in the FAQ thread and does not get removed, I've also refrained from correcting it since I was afraid that this would count as "discussion" again.

I still have my question. I'm unsure whether it's okay to write this post here, but between a forum rule not to open new threads on Steam, a thread where "discussion" posts will be moved away from, and a thread where discussion is discouraged in the first post, I really don't know what to do. I'd like to state that this state of affairs is pretty dissatisfying.

Anyway, here's the question I'd still like to have answered by an official source:

As a collector who often plays games a long time (sometimes decades) after they have been released, and often a long time after their publishers and developers have ceased operating, it's important to me that I keep control over my purchase, i.e. I can't accept a situation where a game that I bought becomes inaccessible due to events not under my control. Such an event would be (for example) Steam ceasing operations (I know that they seem to go strong right now, but so have Atari, Microprose, or Lehman Brothers, so it's not out of the question, especially in a business as volatile as the video games market, where companies lasting more than 10 years are the exception.) In such an event, if Steam's validation servers are taken off-line, I won't be able to reinstall and play the game I purchased anymore.

This issue is known to Steam and 2K, and both parties have stated that they would "presumably" remove the game's DRM in such a case, so that their customers can still use it. However, this is a very vague statement, and it's not legally binding by any means. If push comes to shove, I'd have to depend on a then-bankrupt company that already has my money, to keep a vague promise and remedy the situation. It's of course possible that such a promise is kept - but it's also possible that a statement like this one gets issued: "We would have liked to remove the DRM of your games, but due to contractual obligations with our old and new business partners, we regret to inform you that we are not in a position to do so."

Therefore, I'm asking whether Steam and 2K acknowledge a legally binding obligation to remove the DRM from their customers' games, should the validation servers become unavailable.

I have checked the licenses of both Steam and 2K, and so far it doesn't seem so.

From the Steam License:

From the Take2 EULA:

Since this concerns me due to the reasons stated above, I repeat my question:

Is it true that, should Steam become unavailable, there is no legally binding clause in either (Steam / Take2) license that prevents them from simply abandoning their customers, and leave the customers with a DRM that doesn't let them activate their purchased games anymore?

I think you will find that there will be reluctance from the companies part to answer your question. Using common sense, you will be aware that no company will be interested in them having a liability for an old product 20, 30, 50 years down the track.

While this seems to get you riled up, when you think about it, its not really that bad. No companies have selling entertainment software have are forced in any legal way to update their software. Its really on a companies goodwill that we get patches for our games. Sure there is an expectation but there is no legal obligation.

Steam itself is an interesting app and I don’t think it is one that is going to go away anytime soon. It is larger than both Xbox Live and PSN in terms of a multiplayer platform. I can’t say I have had any trouble with steam in the last 5 years of using it.

Also as a collector of old games you might be interested to have a look at the games catalogue available on steam. I brought X-Com: ufo defence not so long ago for $2.

I registered for Steam for another game ages ago. I have forgotten my login etc. I am worried my email address may be registered to an account. Can I create a new account with the same email address.

I registered for Steam for another game ages ago. I have forgotten my login etc. I am worried my email address may be registered to an account. Can I create a new account with the same email address.

Yes. In fact I did this yesterday. However you get warned that a person should not have more than one account. Take this advice at your own risk, as it's probably against the terms of service.

Thanks for that. I went through the procedure to re-activate my account. All done. Quite painless and worked well.

Now await Civ 5 - with glee.

I installed my STEAM in C:\STEAM as opposed to the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\",

Will "Retail version Civ5" be installed there, or will it be installed where I tell it to. i.e. "C:\GAMES\CIV5"

I installed my STEAM in C:\STEAM as opposed to the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\",

Will "Retail version Civ5" be installed there, or will it be installed where I tell it to. i.e. "C:\GAMES\CIV5"

I assume Steam will install Civ5 to where it normally installs games (like Civ4). My guess would be to Steam\steamapps\common\

Q. Are there any regional restrictions, or can I purchase Civ5 from anywhere in the world and still be allowed to play online/get patches from Steam/add mods/etc. from anywhere in the world?

This question should be relevant not only to those of us who travel, but to the Civ players in places like Australia and New Zealand as well. Link Link

[pimp]
Finally, after nearly week-long struggle due to time zones difference I've got the answer from Vince from Steam Support:

Disclaimer:
I'm not a native speaker, so perhaps to you it'll be all clear after his first answer, dunno. I have to admit, I did struggle with his answers, and it took me several attempts to finally comprehend them:

1 « Message by you on Thu, 9th Sep 2010 11:52 am »
Greetings
I would like to know if it is possible to pre-order Civ5 now, pay for it from an UK-registered credit card, and on a release date install it while being in Poland.

It's a quite important issue to me, since I'll be staying in Poland for at least six months, but I'd like to pre-order the game now. I'd be thoroughly disappointed if due to some strange regulations I'd be unable to play my favourite game series abroad.

Are there any restrictions I should be aware that would prevent me from installing/patching/playing Civilization 5 during my stay in Poland?

I'm looking forward to your reply,
Peter.
2 « Message by Vince on Thu, 9th Sep 2010 1:22 pm »
Hello Peter,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

As long as you have internet access you will be able to download the game once it has been released in the region you purchased it from.
Looks promising, but I'm still not sure:
3 « Message by you on Thu, 9th Sep 2010 11:40 pm »
Hello Vince

Thank you for your answer.

I'd appreciate if you could elaborate a bit.

If I understand your answer correctly then as long as I'll have Internet access in Poland to validate CD-key during installation, then it won't be a problem if the game will be pre-ordered in the United Kingdom, right?

I'm basically concerned that I might buy the game in one country (UK), and I'll be unable to play it in another country (Poland)

It'd be great if you could explain that for me, I'm a bit ignorant in digital downloads section ^^
4 « Message by Vince on Fri, 10th Sep 2010 9:40 am »
Hello Peter,

The version of the game is only dependent on the territory it was purchased in.

That includes when the game is released.
:think::huh:
:deadhorse:
5 « Message by you on Fri, 10th Sep 2010 9:46 am »
Hello again,

If so, then could you please define the "territory" for me, as my poor brain still can't understand whether I can buy the game in the UK and play it in Poland or not?

I'd love something like "Yes, you will be able to buy Civ5 in UK and play in Poland, since it's all a part of EU", or "No, if you've purchased your game in the UK you can download&play it only in the UK. Sorry".

Could you answer in that style for me? Sorry for the trouble :)

...And so the weekend has started, and communication has ceased. But then, on a Sunday evening (don't worry about the actual time, it had some weird time settings, it was like 20:00, not 9:31am xP:
6 « Message by Vince on Sun, 12th Sep 2010 9:31 am »
Hello Peter,

If you purchase the game in the UK you will be able to play the game when it is released in the UK, regardless of your location at the time.
:D
A-HA! That I can understand. Still not the answer I've asked him for, but understandable enough!
:whew:

I thanked him, and closed the ticket.

Now it's clear, and I'm off to D2D to buy that Digital Deluxe deal off them :groucho:

Yeah, that whole "territory" stuff was rather unclear. Maybe they still consider Australia a "territory" too. You never know. ;) But it's good to know that your UK bought instance will run all over the world. It's not as generic as we'd have liked, but since the UK offer is the cheapest on the planet, this should mean that any UK (or US) purchase should also be valid in Australia, or anywhere else.

Nice detective work. No restrictions at all with regard to location, huh? Isn't that interesting!

Who saw that coming, really?

(Me, I saw it. What did I tell you Sahkunder thormodr etc)

Nice detective work. No restrictions at all with regard to location, huh? Isn't that interesting!

Who saw that coming, really?

(Me, I saw it. What did I tell you Sahkunder thormodr etc)

Bold by me.

While I admire your unswerving devotion to your corporate support viewpoint that is not what he was told - and after he had to ask three times no less... :lol:

If what you claim is true then why didn't/won't 2K Greg say there are "No restrictions at all with regard to location"? I asked my question July 26 on the first page of 2K Greg's own FAQ thread. I'd love to hear your latest excuses for the behavior of the 2K corporate PR staff.

There are also two parts to my regional restriction question:

Part A: Will Steam restrict a game purchased anywhere in the world from being activated from anywhere in the world?

Part B: Once any game is activated will Steam restrict that game from logging on from anywhere in the world to play online/get patches from Steam/add mods/etc.?

Bold by me.

While I admire your unswerving devotion to your corporate support viewpoint that is not what he was told - and after he had to ask three times no less... :lol:

If what you claim is true then why didn't/won't 2K Greg say there are "No restrictions at all with regard to location"? I asked my question July 26 on the first page of 2K Greg's own FAQ thread. I'd love to hear your latest excuses for the behavior of the 2K corporate PR staff.

There are also two parts to my regional restriction question:

Part A: Will Steam restrict a game purchased anywhere in the world from being activated from anywhere in the world?

Part B: Once any game is activated will Steam restrict that game from logging on from anywhere in the world to play online/get patches from Steam/add mods/etc.?

I agree. This question has still not been adequately answered. 2K Greg promised me an answer and he still hasn't delivered.

While naturally you have the right to maintain that there hasn't been a clear unequivocal statement from 2K Greg that you can buy anywhere and play anywhere, and technically that is not invalid, consider:

Exhibit A: The UK version is the cheapest on the planet (comparing US, UK, EU, AU on Steam)
Exhibit B: Steam confirmed if you buy in UK you can play anywhere.

That pretty much confirms to me that there are no regional restrictions on any of the more expensive regional prices.

Basically, from what I understood the only limitation is the release limitation. There are two regions for the release - US and international. So if I'll preorder the game in Australia and then go on a trip to US on 22nd of Sep I won't be able to play the game, since in the country of my purchase the game is not out yet.

...:think:
Which brings an interesting question:

If I'll ask my friend to buy Civ5 for me from an US IP, does that mean that on 22nd I'll be able to install&play it while being in Australia? :eekdance:

I have a question about multiplayer compatibility among the numerous different releases of ciV:
I have the Steam special edition with Babylonian civilization included, and I play against my friend who bought the pressed DVD version. Will I be able to play as Babylon against my friend online, even if in his version of ciV Babylon is not included?

Top Bottom