Civilization 5 Rants Thread

The game is fun at the very beginning...
After the exploration phase (the scout unit is the only unit with the right/useful early promotions) + planning your 4-5 cities the game will become very boring and repetitive.

the AI is really terrible, they just cheat.
There's absolute no hope this will change in the future and yes the AI gets at all levels a 40% happiness discount.
I've played several games at Emperor level and gave the AI the same level of happiness as the human player, it opened my eyes to see the horrible game design of civ5.
Expansion (vertical + horizontal), research and economy are tied to the happiness mechanic, while the AI can't handle combat because of 1 upt.
Both game mechanics are failing miserably.

No patch or DLC can save this civ version if those 2 game mechanics don't change.

Oh well, I too think the AI is just terrible and the diplomacy doesnt work very well. But I found a way to enjoy ciV a litle more.

I play on deity with only domination victory. By doing this, you will have a real challenge fighting wars without having to rush your end game because someone is going to win diplomatically.

You can use the world builder on the first games to make sure you will have a nice start location until you have the knowlodge to play on random maps.

Oh well, I too think the AI is just terrible and the diplomacy doesnt work very well. But I found a way to enjoy ciV a litle more.

I play on deity with only domination victory. By doing this, you will have a real challenge fighting wars without having to rush your end game because someone is going to win diplomatically.

I dont think I have ever played civ5 with all the available winning conditions selected, from winning conditions I always just select nothing but the domination victory paired with random map and marathon speed. All I can say is that we need better AI, MUCH better AI.

I belive the player with the most points still wins the game even if the "Time" winning condition would have not been selected. What the heck does it even do in the winning conditions selection?

Sorry, I was supposed to edit this in my last post but I suppose i pressed the quote instead of the edit button, I found it out too late :)

Also, AI is so terrible at fight that it's one of the main reasons why multiplayer is more enjoyable than singleplayer. 1up makes very interesting wars against humans.

Other important thing : too many exploitative moves we can do against AI. Hence mp>sp again.

You're not doing anything wrong; you've summed up the shortcomings of the game nicely.

The recent patches have made it playable, but it's still a deeply flawed game.

Unfortunately, that ain´t nothing but nothing but true.

ok your're not going to like my post but I feel I have to say it anyway:

Of course the AI have massive happiness bonuses! How else are they supposed to compete? Do you really think it's possible to program AI to be as smart as a human player in a game of civ's complexity?? This isn't chess with a limited number of moves & variables. Hasn't every single previous version of civ relied on massive bonuses to support the AI??

Here are the ridiculous AI bonuses for civ 3: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=37490

And for civ 4: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=158130

I also honestly think that refusing outright to buy the DLC is hurting your chances of enjoying the game. Polynesia, Inca & Mongols are all extremely fun to play with. Babylon can be skipped IMO. I'm not saying I fully support the DLC business model, but c'mon. If that's what they gotta do as a business, 5 bucks every couple months is just not that big of a deal. I spent 5 bucks at dunkin donuts today for chrissake...and that was gone in 10 minutes. Compare that to the ~25 hrs I've logged as the Incans alone...

Hi boys and girls and others Civ5 haters, hehe. Actually I don't hate Civ5, I just got bored with it so fast that i could barely make an impression about it. Never happened before with a Civ game, and I am a player since those days of Civ1! :O

Yes, I didn't feel that urge for one more turn, so I went back to play BTS and having a good time. BUG + Better AI mod is very challenging... Maybe that's why I got bored so fast, it seems they made the game too simple... no religions, no health, no spionage... As many people said it looks like a dumbed down version of a strategy classic.

Not everything was crap I most admit. I like the hexes, and well, that's it. 1upt could be interesting if they allowed armies, but as it is now it just doesn't work.

Well, please let me know when Firaxis has managed to make Civ5 a worthy game.

civ5 eee yeah there's no civ5 diplomacy. maybe that's why. no matter what you do the AI is just an obstacle to be rid of.

The DLC ruined the game for me. I just can not get past that.

Why
You would still have to pay for an expansion pack

I'd agree, except i'm guessing there will be bigger DLC "Expansion" packs more like Civ IV:BtS coming eventually.

Still, I can't see the big deal. Yes, Civilization V could have been a better game, but you have to credit the designers with a few things. They obviously care enough to spend time to constantly improve the game through packages that can be automatically installed onto your computer. That is fantastic and Civ V has come a long way since the release. I despised it at first. Now, I think it is pretty decent. I'm willing to throw $5 here and there to support a company that is willing to do that. If they stopped releasing free patches while the game still has problems? Yeah, they wouldn't see a dime.

Top Bottom