Viking Berserker issue

Yamato

Warlord
I play the Beyond the Sword version of Civ 4, usually with the Better Bat AI mod. One thing I've recently notice is a problem with the Vikings "Berserker" unit. It doesn't look right. The Vikings have an Axeman that swings a big axe and has a horned helmet. The "Berserker" has a shield (it looks a lot like the Spearman, but with an axe rather than a shield). Only the "Axeman" has the Viking-esq horned helmet. I wonder if the unit graphics are backwards and that the graphics for the Berserker and the Viking Axeman are backwards.
Either way, the Axeman looks more unique than the very pedestrian Berserker unit. Is there any way to reverse the unit graphics? I do a bit of playing around in Civ 4 files, but I have not idea how to change or switch unit graphics.

I assume you are referring the icon on the city screen's build buttons. The BAT mod does have a few quirks with the some of the unit icons on those buttons. Not sure if that is BAT or the submod it uses. Ofc, it is just aesthetic and doesn't affect anything. The units themselves should look fine on the map.

Lemon Merchant may pop by soon to give more thoughts on the matter and let you know if she has time to update her mods. OR you can post over in the BUG forum.

The icon itself is the regular "heavy footman" icon too, but I mean the actual unit itself, the one in play. It looks very similar to the spearman, but with an axe. The unit that is the "axemen" is very unique looking, it has a horned helmet and a big two handed axe. Now, I could be wrong, and this is supposed to be the Viking axeman unit, but the Berserker is just such a bland unit and so similar to the spearman that I thought it and the axeman somehow got switched.

The icon itself is the regular "heavy footman" icon too, but I mean the actual unit itself, the one in play. It looks very similar to the spearman, but with an axe. The unit that is the "axemen" is very unique looking, it has a horned helmet and a big two handed axe. Now, I could be wrong, and this is supposed to be the Viking axeman unit, but the Berserker is just such a bland unit and so similar to the spearman that I thought it and the axeman somehow got switched.

It's very possible that it somehow got switched. I use the Varietas Delectat mod in Better BAT AI and the BAT Mod unedited, meaning that I don't change anything. Perhaps Avain, the author of VD, made an error. I'll look into as I'm thinking of releasing a patch in the near future. For now, though, I will just beg your indulgence until I get it fixed. :)

Well, I checked out the artwork, and the art for the Berserker is correct. I looked up various sources for the art and it seems that Berserkers used any weapon, they were not just confined to axes and hammers, though they did use them. In Varietas Delectat, the unit carries a sword because it is a replacement for the Heavy Footman. I would have preferred that the unit use a hammer, or something to distinguish itself better from the Swordsman, but unfortunately, I am not an artist.

As for the horned helmet, that was primarily a Wagnerian operatic theme and was not based on reality (much). Some Vikings may have worn such a helmet, but it has not been established that it was commonly worn by a lot Vikings. In other words, it is not the Viking's standard military issue helmet as far as I've been able to determine.

With that in mind, unless an artist comes forward who is willing to put an axe in the hands of our Berserkers, I won't be changing anything. Sorry.

Top Bottom