Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Somewhat/Cautiously Optimistic

Votes: 53 28.0%
  • Somewhat Pessimistic

Votes: 68 36.0%
  • Completely Pessimistic

Votes: 48 25.4%

• Total voters
I have always liked both civ 5 and civ 6 and am so far very optimistic about civ 6. Disregarding the fact that even numbered civs are better I really have faith in the lead designer of civ 6, due to his previous work on board games and the civ 5 expansions that made the game somewhat good. The team has really recognized a lot of what went wrong in civ 5, and a lot of what went right. City states, although they could have been implemented a lot better, were a good addition as they increased the complexity of the diplomatic landscape without adding a whole other civ for the map size and processor power to deal with. 1upt wasn't a great idea but they seam to be making it work. Most importantly they've removed the idiotic global happiness system and hopefully the science penalty for large civs so you can once again found cities without worrying about being punished for it.

I wish they had re-implemented the slider system for your budget. With the new cultural and technological treas it could have created some really interesting decisions.

I watched a promotion for the game on Youtube by a famous Let'sPlayer, whose name I cannot remember.

It gave me the very unpleasant impression that the team behind Civ6 tried to make a beautiful game...
... From there, I'm absolutely certain they missed the point of strategy. I'll probably never try it.

Most notably the interface in a strategy game needs to be simple. And fast.
--> no 3D (do we need to buy a machine along with the game ? Does it run on laptops ?)
--> no layers (accessible under layers of layers ; did they get that idea from Paradox a la Europa Universalis ? Or from Sega a la TotalWar ?)
--> no stuff (shinies are a distraction, brand marketing in all its got of despicable, trying to seduce you, making you think shiny is smart)

An excellent balance between very basic mechanisms makes for a good strategy game.
Promising endless options in management is a vain lure if the premises aren't satisfying.

:goodjob:

My thoughts...

Positive/don't-care:

Don't care about graphics in a game, so I don't mind the new look. I love the district thing, love city building/management. New 1-3 UPT mechanism looks promising. Working now, will edit this soon-ish... Edit: New civic/government system seems good, though it's hard to tell now.

Negative: Still miss classic leader traits. Religion seems like Civ V, which is disappointing. Don't like the whole faith system. There's not much in particular, I just have a bad vibe...

Probably better than V, but not IV, unfortunately... If IV came out later (more modding support and such), it'd be perfect.

They need to Bring back stacks of Doom >_< ..... Or ... maybe go like HOI IV and have 4 - 8 units per tile! ;) (they can just pick a number ... anything but just ONE!!!! )

I think we few who prefer IV over V are just going to keep playing IV. Firaxis isn't going to make another IV. It looks like VI is more like a better V. Most of us who have been playing IV for as much as 10 years have developed a bias against things that aren't IV, and no game is as much like IV as IV, of course.

I think we few who prefer IV over V are just going to keep playing IV. Firaxis isn't going to make another IV. It looks like VI is more like a better V. Most of us who have been playing IV for as much as 10 years have developed a bias against things that aren't IV, and no game is as much like IV as IV, of course.

To me and others, what's disappointing isn't that we aren't getting Civ4.5 (although I would personally love Civ4.5), it's that instead of getting a true Civ6, it feels like it is really Civ5.5.

Civ5 and Civ6 never needed to be Civ4.5 for me. But as been said by us Civ4 fans, they made it so that it was worse in many ways compared to Civ4.

Every Civ from 1 to 4 felt like a natural progression and steady improvement. With each newer version, you never wanted to go back because the newer version was overall better. But Civ5 broke that progression. They made a lot of changes in Civ5 and while some changes were fine overall it felt like a downgrade.

Keep it fresh with mods - that's my advice anyway. RFC DoC is a lot of fun if you get bored of the standard epic game.

Every Civ from 1 to 4 felt like a natural progression and steady improvement. With each newer version, you never wanted to go back because the newer version was overall better. But Civ5 broke that progression. They made a lot of changes in Civ5 and while some changes were fine overall it felt like a downgrade.

This!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Totally hit the nail on the head.

Actually I thought III broke that progression, but were willing to forgive them after IV came out. ;)

(many claim that the final patches redeemed III but I had stopped playing it long before that happened)

Actually I thought III broke that progression, but were willing to forgive them after IV came out. ;)

(many claim that the final patches redeemed III but I had stopped playing it long before that happened)

III turned out ok after everything was said and done. As an added bonus, modders are still having fun with it over in their forums. If you still happen to have III lying around, and are feeling a bit nostalgic, give CCM mod a try. You may be suitably impressed.

I'm kind of wondering how much opposition there was to IV when it came out. Of course, you don't see people arguing about III vs IV anymore, but the IV vs V debates rage on, 6 years later.
A question for the members who were part of the civ community in 2005-2006: was there a lot of argument about which was better?

At release civ4 had only video problems, the game crashed when playing larger maps iirc.
There was almost no opposition. Civ4 vanilla was simply superior to civ3. Civ3 players either left because they lacked time to play or they moved on to civ4.
It wasn't much civ3 versus civ4, but more smac versus civ3. Civ3 was a huge let down compared to smac.
Because of smac, which introduced characters, agendas and social engineering/civics system, the civ series is still alive.
Civ1, civ2 and civ3 do not diverse much from each other. (corruption, governments, same wonders, etc.)
Civ6 looks good so far, but we don't know anything about the AI and I've doubts on combat+1 upt (it was very bad in civ5) and enough land tiles for districts and other improvements.

Most of us who have been playing IV for as much as 10 years have developed a bias against things that aren't IV, and no game is as much like IV as IV, of course.

Actually for me it's not true, i welcome interesting changes.
But 1upt i.e. is just ridiculous stupid, while ~10 per tile would be okay.

It's just a bad game (V), and my opinion on that does not come from IV bias.

If you still happen to have III lying around, and are feeling a bit nostalgic, give CCM mod a try. You may be suitably impressed.

Thanks Drakarska,
I'll have to go through the old stack of disks and see if it's still there. (even though I'm sure it can be picked up for a few bucks somewhere)

Ok, I tried installing the game under win7 but it won't fire up.
What comparability mode should I be using? I figured XP sp3 but that doesn't do anything.

Instructions Should be on main page. I have Win10, so I'm not sure. I don't think I adjusted compatibility mode, simply ran it as admin.

I tried the diff comp and none seem to work. The program looks like it starts for a couple of sec then just dies.

I tried the diff comp and none seem to work. The program looks like it starts for a couple of sec then just dies.

It's probably the SECDRV copy protection problem that Microsoft introduced last September.

If you're running Windows 7 it's an easy fix, Windows 10 I'm not so sure about. Check the technical issues subforum. There are a number of threads there on how to fix the copy protect issue.

If you're running Windows 7 it's an easy fix,

Considering I work in IT, I wasn't able to do it. Everything I saw related to 10 not 7.
Sometimes you feel stupid.

Hmm, if you're running Windows 10 you may have to download that Games for Windows Live crap. I had to do that to play GTA IV because whatever DRM software it used was completely incompatible with Windows 10.

Top Bottom