Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

Im Muslim I Cant Go Around Singing That

My advice to you in that case is... don't go around singing it?

If you sang it before you knew what the words meant, that's your own fault. Take it up with your God later, I'm sure he will understand being how catchy the tune is.

This song really is amazing, I love it.

I would love to see some live video of this song. Part of what makes the song is the powerful voices. Seeing it live would be nive.

Kudos for the translation. It grows on you...

Maybe I need to start learning Swahili. ;)

Munchkinguy said:
Actually, it seems that in the recorded song, they replace "Yesu" (Jesus), with "Yetu", so it sounds more like:

So Baba yetu, yetu uliye
Mbinguni yetu, yetu, amina!

Perhaps to avoid conroversy. Anyway, with these changes, it could a fitting song for any Monotheist to sing. (Unless they don't beleive in Evil, or reject the idea of God being a "Father")

The idea of the fatherhood of God is uniquely Christian. It is not found anywhere in the Torah and neither is it in the Quran. The concept is intruducted to us in the Christian New Testament - mostly by Jesus himself who (in a revolutionary way) calls God "Abba" which means something like "daddy".

Bumpitty.

Beautiful song, can't get the thing out of my head!

I have been listening this song for a few hours repeatedly now. Both, the music and Swahili language are very beautiful. I've read through all the seven pages of this thread and surprisingly found only 3-4 negative comments about the song. Even though I love the song I wouldn't have ever thought that so big majority of commentators would agree. Commentators tend to be critical but "Baba Yetu" is so overwhelming and powerful and does not leave room for negative emotions. Besides to the song I also admire Christopher Tin for his polite replies to his fans' E-Mails.

Beatiful music

For those who don't enjoy it... well, I can't say but theres something wrong with you! How could you not like it?!:mad:

For music I enjoy I don't listen to it too much, I don't know why. I just want it to seem fresh everytime.:crazyeye:

I wonder how they ended up chosing something religious too...

Thanks for the lyrics, MSTK. The song, imho, fits very well with the view of the Earth as the sun comes up, the beginning of civilization. The sense of possibilities is captured very nicely.

This thread reminds me that I am a child of the western world. And more particularily of my parents :) That is why I call the title song spiritual, not religious. Before I knew the lyrics were a christian prayer, I knew the song was uplifting, joyful and of hope.

I am not saying religion can not be those things and don't want to troll people, but it is easy to have a rather dogmatic and structural view on religion. Religion tends to be a rather serious a matter, associated with something more formal and solemn. Serious is grave and heavy and Baba yetu, while earnest in spirit, is not. So has it become a religious song now that I know of the meaning of the words? That's entirely up to me, or in your case, to you. After all, words do not mean much anything unless you mean what you say.

Cheers

An impressive piece of work there. The song certainly does catch your attention, and it's probably my favorite part of the entire soundtrack so far. Then again, I'm just getting into early industrial age now, and I'm hitting some interesting music at this point; but none of it sticks with me like that menu theme.

Jehiel said:
This song really is amazing, I love it.

I would love to see some live video of this song. Part of what makes the song is the powerful voices. Seeing it live would be nive.

I can see the concept now: fade in on the soloist with a sunrise behind him, then the chorus as they join in on the second round; cut as the verse starts to rows of players flipping mice....

No, scratch that. Tell you what; your people get together with my people, and we'll do lunch. Okay, babe? Love ya, gotta go; bye!

:mischief:

Chieftess said:
Evangilism in action. :) (They're getting civvers everywhere to pray just by singing it!)

We were praying beforehand:

Please, Lord let:
a) my video drivers be adequate
b) me have enough memory
c) me psych out this whole new tech tree so I can win this sucker!

:mischief:

beautiful song.. didnt realize what it was though :)

dunno if it adds or subtracts to the songs beauty though..

cool, but it is hardly photenicaly correct, how do you pronounce "Tunachohitaji" though reading this post insipred me to do it myself, but instead of being gramaticly correct, or whatever, being totaly photenicaly correct. here i am so far.

Male: ba ba yet du yet du ley yet bing goony yet duley yet do wa me na ba ba yet duley yet duley yet coojina na co-a-lay

Female: ba ba yet du yet du ley yet bing goony yet duley yet do wa me na ba ba yet duley yet duley yet coojina na co-a-lay (do noo say koo)

the () is where she lowers her voice from full to quiet

good stuff though, just hard as hell to prononcue what your reading. its a bit like reading ORANGE when the color of the text is red, and being told to say the color you see, not the word.

messes with me.

just come to say that it´s a great song but i don´t know why do they needed to make a religious point in it. I can just hate the song as it adictive as the game but i am realy dissapointed to know now that it´s a prayer.

I thought they said they were not theologist...

Does it make any difference now that you know it's a religious song? If it sounded good at first, then you like(d) it. You can deign it if you'd like, but it's still a cool song with an strong efficacy. They may have picked it for those reasons, not for its religious undertone.

Top Bottom