Korean Civ + Ancient Worlds Civ BUNDLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm interested to see is what happens if you click the link to buy from WITHIN the game. There are apparently two reports of people seeing things as not so obvious when using the in-game link. If you buy from the Steam software itself it should be super obvious but meh, I tend to suck at noticing obvious things too sometimes.

I paid the 4.99 price tag for both happily (i.e. a total of 9.98).
I found your problem here. You paid $9.98 happily. Anyone buying DLC should be doing it begrudgingly or shamefully. Or because around 25% of the world earns less than $10 USD a day, guiltily. I suppose that applies whether you buy DLC or not, though.

I click preview post and it actually posts it instead of just previewing. So long way of saying duplicate post.

Buy a computer game and you expect to pay about $50. In previous Civ versions, you paid $50 for vanilla, had a bunch of free patches, paid $40 for an expansion, had a few more patches, paid $40 for another expansion and then had a few more patches before the next version was released.

The expansions in previous versions included 6-10 new civs (including unique units and or buildings), new buildings, new units, new wonders, new maps, new scenarios, new game concepts, new techs and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

Civ 5 has followed a different format with the DLCs. The free patches have given us some new buildings and some new national wonders. The DLCs to date (not counting Mongolia) have given us:

• 6 new civs with UU and UB (so minimum for an expansion pack)
  • Many new maps (probably more than an expansion pack)
  • Many new scenarios (probably more than an expansion pack)
  • 3 new wonders (less than an expansion pack)

The total price for this even including sales and combo packs is higher than what you would have paid for an expansion in CIV. Notably missing from this collection are new generic units and buildings, new game concepts and new techs.

So if you bought all DLC, you would pay more than you would for an expansion pack and get less. This is why he is questioning the "happily" part. If you buy the DLC and spend all of that money, you should do it only because you need to feed your Civ addiction and have no other option. I'd happily pay $40 for an expansion in the Civ 3-4 style, but I won't happily pay for DLCs that cost me more and give me less.

You know what is really frustrating? I expected a few fellow Civers to give me a bit of crap about being absentminded, but at the end of the day, do you really think I deserve to pay extra which is essentially comes down to clumsiness (or frankly, over eagerness)?

If a fellow Civer did it, I would expect a little solidarity and expect Steam to step up and say, yeah, you bought the exact same thing as the Bundle, but paid extra for it, here you go.

Our fellow CiVvers are not inherently sympathetic people. Hence the reason I don't play MP. Bunch of bloodthirsty mo'fos! :lol:

Ranos:

To correct, the calculated total for all DLCs to date, assuming you bought bundles, would amount to about $42. You could have gotten all the DLCs except Korea and WOTAW Scenario and Wonders for around $12 during the Summer Steam Sale, so all the content so far should have costed you a fourth of an expansion pack, and they have been delivered earlier.

Also, the basic free patches for Civ V have been more substantial. We gained buildings like Aqueduct, and Stone Works, and new game concepts like buildings that boost tile output.

I made the same dumb mistake and only bought Korea.

I can't find a reason to justify spending $5 on the early wonders alone which I likely won't build so I just won't.

Haven't picked up a single DLC wonder in the regular games yet... immortal.

But you just wonder when they will price themselves out. The only reason why they got away with this is because of the Combo deal. Who's to say Espionage/Religion/Corporation won't cost 5$ each. If they put another combo deal out there then maybe not, but you wonder what extent they will go to to milk us.

I found it pretty prominently placed. Granted, I knew to expect it, but it wasn't something hard to miss. Sorry about your mistake, though. Hope steam can help you out.

I made the same dumb mistake and only bought Korea.

I can't find a reason to justify spending $5 on the early wonders alone which I likely won't build so I just won't.

Maybe wait for one of those sales? If its 60% off, it'll be something like 2 bucks.

When I had an issue with them I used the support tickets system on the steam website. That worked. I never actually went ahead and typed "Steam@steam.com" and sent an e-mail or whatever. That seems like sending a message in Ocean Ignore. I don't know if that's what you did but I'd advise using the ticket system and the support system on their website by logging in there.

When I had an issue with them I used the support tickets system on the steam website. That worked. I never actually went ahead and typed "Steam@steam.com" and sent an e-mail or whatever. That seems like sending a message in Ocean Ignore. I don't know if that's what you did but I'd advise using the ticket system and the support system on their website by logging in there.

Thanks SimonL, I did indeed send a message via the support system... no joy so far....

Ranos:

To correct, the calculated total for all DLCs to date, assuming you bought bundles, would amount to about $42. You could have gotten all the DLCs except Korea and WOTAW Scenario and Wonders for around $12 during the Summer Steam Sale, so all the content so far should have costed you a fourth of an expansion pack, and they have been delivered earlier.

Also, the basic free patches for Civ V have been more substantial. We gained buildings like Aqueduct, and Stone Works, and new game concepts like buildings that boost tile output.

And a number of people, myself included, may not have been playing during that time for one reason or another and missed that sale. I'm sure there will be another sale and other people will see it and take advantage of it and others will miss that one. For right now, if someone were to buy the DLCs it would be more expensive than an expansion.

You also must have missed the part of my post where I said:

The free patches have given us some new buildings and some new national wonders.

And there have always been buildings that boosted tile output so that isn't a new concept, just new buildings that boost different tiles.

Again and again I see the DLC prices compared to the Warlords- and BTS-expansions. Guys, that was 5 years (4, regardnig BTS) before now! Did you ever encounter a concept called "inflation"? It doesn't exist in Civilization games only!

I'm pretty sure, you have something like this in the USA, too. At least in Germany, there is actually 3-4 % a year. Nowadays, things will cost (roughly calculated) 20% more than five years before now. So your 40$ Warlords expansion will cost about 48$ today. That's more than one DLC plus!

I think it's quite unfair to comapre old day prices with nowadays calculation...

And a number of people, myself included, may not have been playing during that time for one reason or another and missed that sale. I'm sure there will be another sale and other people will see it and take advantage of it and others will miss that one. For right now, if someone were to buy the DLCs it would be more expensive than an expansion.

You also must have missed the part of my post where I said:

And there have always been buildings that boosted tile output so that isn't a new concept, just new buildings that boost different tiles.

If you missed that sale... Expect another one in 2-4 monthsish for the holidays likely also including Korean DLC? Steam sales are just evil but they come back. I know the DLC model is better for the Devs and in many ways it's better for me.

Either way, I'd suggest directing this discussion to the DLC model thread, this thread is just about a guy who bought a ketchup and mustard bottle and somehow missed the bundle pack that was right next to it as he was buying it that was $2.50 cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom