YouTube Civ IV playthroughs

Skulbow

The Lonely Cyclist
I have been an avid Civ V player for the last three years and have wracked up over 800 hours of that game while dabbling a little with Civ IV. I am slowly beginning to see the challenges and the totally different gameplay mechanics involved in Civ IV games. I will admit it is definitely a more difficult game than Civ V where I can comfortably win on King level and sometimes the level or two up from that. I have not even won a game on Warlord at Civ IV which is beginning to hurt...I need some help.

Is it possible to find a list of good Civ IV BTS players who upload games to YouTube with commentary. I do my usual searches and find games but I'd like to find some good players who have a good backlog of Civ IV games with various winning strategies.

Thanks for any responses.

TheMeInTeam (TMIT), AbsoluteZero (chris67132) on YouTube, Sulla. Good players, good play thru's. TMIT plays very fast, better to learn more of the game before watching his. AZ (chris67132) plays immortal / deity games. But I suggest starting with Sulla's lp's. Sulla plays slow and explains what he's doing and why. YouTube search Sulla's Dutch game. Very good learning LP. Enjoy.

Seraiel (his name on here) is a great player who also did some Youtube playthroughs on Deity. I don't watch Civ videos but others have said they are very good. He has also done some very detailed documentations of his play where he explains a lot, just look at his signature for links.

+1 for Absolute Zero. Watching his videos has improved my game (and taken me up several levels) more than anything else, even eating 3x Shredded Wheat.

+1 for Absolute Zero. Watching his videos has improved my game (and taken me up several levels) more than anything else, even eating 3x Shredded Wheat.

If you haven't watched it already, try searching for AZ's Wrath of Khan Mongolian video on YouTube. Amazing, just freaking amazing.

Hmm, can't see that one. There's the Deity 39 (G Khan) series..?

Hmm, can't see that one. There's the Deity 39 (G Khan) series..?

I just checked, that's the one. AZ reloads a couple of times, but in his defense it was one brutal game. Very inspiring to watch thru the whole series. So much crap goes wrong for him, but he continues. Most people would have rage quit that game.

Ah right, ta. Yeah, have watched that one. His most recent Shaka game is worth a watch (Deity 61), definitely qualifies as 'brutal' :)

AZ is still a great player, but he developed some bad habits that peoples trying to learn Deity should not adopt.

Shaka game..he techs pottery first, improves 1 floodplains cottage before corn.
Builds 2nd worker before a settler, with BW not ready yet..
He seems fixed on early pottery and workers, and so he gets into troubles.
You totally want to improve both food first and tech BW here before pottery, commerce from earlier gold city, and everything will be easier.

Absolutezero chris, the reason i play 87 nobles club games (from settler to prince)...
some thing he does, let surprised me, as policy with its neighbors
and I always like when does the introduction of the leaders giving their opinion

TMIT is my favorite which is strange because he plays so quickly (opposite of me!). He has a very strong grasp of all the necessary game mechanics and timings (strategic). The funny part is he plays so fast that he makes quite a bit of mistakes in regards to micro, etc (he admits this freely ^^) but he still ends up in strong positions.

And when he doesn't and all seems lost he can pull out the power of the Nuke and still win. I'd imagine if he sat down and played some deliberate games his finish dates and scores would match those of the most elite players like Wastin, Sera, Kait, and Pollina.

I will suggest to you not to dig fanatically into other excellent players games and try to get the best out of your own games and playing skills. It is so much more gratifying this way. Play lower difficulty and/or smaller maps until you find your way through. Moreover, very good players will overwhelm/fill you with so much tips and information altogether.
Needless to say it is still wise to ask for some specific advise here and there.

I'm curious about the game speed you play in?

Sulla's Dutch Let's play is the best video I've seen... It's just very enjoyable to watch, Sulla takes a lot of time explaining what he does, and it's nice to see him start with a crappy capital and manage to build a good empire from this. He also has a nice soothing voice somehow.

Anyway I recommend watching the first 10 videos or so, until he goes into war against a neighbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1CQxACekg

And when he doesn't and all seems lost he can pull out the power of the Nuke and still win. I'd imagine if he sat down and played some deliberate games his finish dates and scores would match those of the most elite players like Wastin, Sera, Kait, and Pollina.

I'd get closer to their scores, but it's not so simple as "just micro". It's a skill unto itself and these players would still tell you they make mistakes on occasion. However, they are much more experienced with that play style and would make them (much) less frequently than me attempting the same, unless I sat down and played MANY such deliberate games.

But I don't enjoy playing that way very much, which unfortunately for a game like this caps my potential to a degree, unless running everyone else on a blazing turn timer ;).

I owe my viewership a finishing of some HOMM, and by then it'll probably be Civ 6 time. We'll see if micro remains such a barrier. Years of EU IV have tuned me somewhat.

TMIT helped me a lot stepping up to deity although he played immortal as TMIT has solid game fundamentals. I didn't really have anything to unlearn from him.
He plays ultra fast and with more care, deity should not be a problem for him.

AZ learned me the aggression needed for Deity and that you have nothing to fear being the lowest in score and city count, but his macro is questionable.
He often ends up in totally avoidable positions. Also, he bribes others to wars too much. That puts everyone in unit spamming mode and also melts your tech lead.
That means more trouble ahead.

Seraiel's video requires the most attention as it really explains a lot of aspects of high level gaming.

Sulla has some of best write-ups there are, but his skill is at beginner level. At that level everything you know is plainly wrong, but game is very forgiving. :)

What really boosted me from self-taught stuck on emperor to Deity in month and a half were Kossin's Daily Rounds and forums in general. A lot of great threads can be dug out.
The best mistakes to learn from are other people's mistakes. :D

Sulla's Dutch Let's play is the best video I've seen... It's just very enjoyable to watch, Sulla takes a lot of time explaining what he does, and it's nice to see him start with a crappy capital and manage to build a good empire from this. He also has a nice soothing voice somehow.

Anyway I recommend watching the first 10 videos or so, until he goes into war against a neighbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1CQxACekg

Hear, hear! Same with me. Just wish he'd left tech trading on to see what would've happened if the AIs could trade among themselves. Made it a little artificial IMHO. But the other stuff--micro-managing worker tasks; prioritizing food, then gold, finally production; whipping out improvements in hammer-poor areas (i.e., indirectly converting food to production); going for the Great Library and Taj Mahal; getting THREE GAs in a row; creating a Supermedic with the first Great General; sucking up War Weariness to finish off Pacal; etc. & etc.--were eye-openers for this long-suffering Warlords player.

Of course AZ and Seriael are great players, but unfortunately the former plays too quickly for intermediate-level instruction and the latter's accent is a bit too thick for this Anglophone to catch easily.

AbsoluteZero (chris67132) is the best one IMO, Deity gameplay with good commentary, he has some great domination/conquest victories in his channel.

If you are interested in peaceful games, I recently uploaded a video showing how to win cultural victories (the video is on Deity, but the strategy will work on lower difficulties too). It's here:

Link to video.

GrimithR has some good LP's of Civ IV, though he moved onto other games since. He is very funny, though he doesn't self sensor his commentary to be family friendly. I believe I actually found him through a similar thread on here a while ago.

Top Bottom