Thing I learned about the world thru Civ4

397. Time will pass slower by 2050 than it does now or for the past 6000 years for that matter.

Coal plants (or shale plants, for that matter) cause ten times more deaths. Yes, they are less obvious than death of radiation, but they happen. Nuclear power may SEEM very dangerous, but actually it's quite innocent.
Exactly HOW many nuclear plants did explode in +- 30 years of nuclear power use?

Don't get me started on the ******edness of the anti-nuclear crowd. All that talk about lingering auras of radiation and all that rot. Anyone seen Hiroshima and Nagasaki lately?

Don't get me started on the ******edness of the anti-nuclear crowd. All that talk about lingering auras of radiation and all that rot. Anyone seen Hiroshima and Nagasaki lately?

Seen Chernobyl lately?

The truth is between your extreme and the extreme doomsday of the anti-nukers. Mainly don't build those suckers on fault lines and that's half the battle right there.

Seen Chernobyl lately?

The truth is between your extreme and the extreme doomsday of the anti-nukers. Mainly don't build those suckers on fault lines and that's half the battle right there.

There is indeed a big difference between nuclear weapons and nuclear meltdowns.
The effect of a nuclear weaopn is soon over - most of it's energy is released at the actual 'explosion'.

Tsjernobyl is a nuclear meltdown, and indeed, all area in a radius of 50 kilometres is quite devastated there. But 2000 square kilometres isn't that much.

I'm just pointing to the fact that the amount of nuclear meltdowns is quite small - 3, if I'm right, correct me if I'm wrong. Which makes the amount of casualties quite small. Compared to cancer, lung diseases and other caused by pollution.
(And global warming, but some people on this forum seem not to believe in it, so I'll leave it out)

Calendar "healing" times often reflect about 15 to 25 years, so obviously what a healing unit is doing is rebreeding a new generation of soldiers from women taken captive in local farm houses. They spend a year or two teaching the new recruits how to shoot.

True ;)
But it works on a desert wasteland, a polar region and the middle of the sea too.

398. People who say Tsjernobyl is still devastated are idiots, fallout can be cleaned in a single year with enough workers and depending on the planet's gamespeed.
399. The Americans started global warming by dropping A-bombs on Japan.

"Thing I learned about the world thru Civ4"

That my visual experience of the world is nothing but an illusion. The world really looks more like a cartoon done by an entry level apprentice cartoonist.

What of it? I am confused. I got bored after the first 2 minutes of "drama".

Anthony Bourdain can be described as many things, but this is the first I've heard someone say he was "boring". Anyway, this was an episode of his travel show where his guide takes him through Chernobyl. It explains the zones where it's safe to walk, and the zones where it's not safe to walk. One thing I learned from it is that the core is still in meltdown status there. They contained it with a massive dump of concrete but it's still burning. They're trying to figure out a way to get the unspent fuel out of there but so far, no engineers have come up with a solution.

Anthony Bourdain can be described as many things, but this is the first I've heard someone say he was "boring". Anyway, this was an episode of his travel show where his guide takes him through Chernobyl. It explains the zones where it's safe to walk, and the zones where it's not safe to walk. One thing I learned from it is that the core is still in meltdown status there. They contained it with a massive dump of concrete but it's still burning. They're trying to figure out a way to get the unspent fuel out of there but so far, no engineers have come up with a solution.

He bored me.

Anyway, the fact that he was walking near the core puts paid to the idea of acres and acres and miles of land rendered a barren desert full of mutants for billions of years after a Chernobyl. You know, the scenario beloved of anti-nuclear ? Hence, my initial comment on the lack of intelligence endemic to the anti-nuclear crowd.

He bored me.

Anyway, the fact that he was walking near the core puts paid to the idea of acres and acres and miles of land rendered a barren desert full of mutants for billions of years after a Chernobyl. You know, the scenario beloved of anti-nuclear ? Hence, my initial comment on the lack of intelligence endemic to the anti-nuclear crowd.

The major point, driven home by the video you found "boring" (if a nuclear disaster area bores you, one wonders why you bother to discuss the topic), is that it's also not the opposite extreme posited by the pro-nuke adherents: large portions of the area are unsafe to even STAND, let alone live or work or grow food. When the geiger counter jumped they had to run off the trail and onto the bus to avoid a certainty of radiation exposure illnesses. That they're even considering it for a tourist attraction is rather unwise, TBH, as tourists are bound to wander off into the unsafe areas, get sick, die, and proliferate class action lawsuits. The area is STILL IN MELTDOWN. The meltdown is contained, yes, for now, but it's not fully resolved as a nuclear emergency. There is really NO viable use of that land (and shouldn't even be a tourist spot), to a radius of some 30 miles or so.

I'd agree that Civ4's representation of the multiple tiles of meltdown pollution is excessive (should only be one tile on most map sizes to represent 30 miles), but it's also unrealistic to say in the modern world you can just send workers in and "clean it up". A realistic game mechanic would be: the meltdown takes out the city, turns the one tile of that city into desert, and that desert will only ever be desert for the duration of the game, no cleanup possible.

Nuclear weapons strike zones are easier to clean up because the radioative material is in fallout dust, a "cleanable" item; and the amount of nuclear fuel material is less. Meltdown zones are a whole different class of disaster.

401. They were too busy building the Spiral Minaret instead and Louis XIV's industrious trait + marble beat Saladin to it.

402. The U.S. isn't trying for a cultural victory, otherwise Gore would have won in 2000. As courthouses would have produced +3 culture under his administration.

That they're even considering it for a tourist attraction is rather unwise, TBH, as tourists are bound to wander off into the unsafe areas, get sick, die, and proliferate class action lawsuits.

Not to be rude or anything, just to push home a point: Should I listen to you or the government that is opening itself up to the lawsuits?

404. Nothing can be done about icebergs; even nukes can't get rid of them.

Top Bottom