Crazy Spatz's Alpha Centauri Mod

Found a major bug: in the balance mod, I'd tweaked the penalties for Unhappy/Very Unhappy, to try and make it a bit smoother of a progression. Specifically, the growth penalty is -50%/-75%, the very unhappy combat penalty is increased to -50%. This was to keep it from being absolutely crippling to growth, while making it much harder to fight while unhappy.
Unfortunately, I left off the negative signs. So right now in my test game, I'm facing a very unhappy AI that's getting a massive military and growth boost.
I've fixed it and updated the first post, but I'm going to try to ride it out in my game to see what happens.

for the spaceship check there is the team:GetProjectCount function you can use to verify the project parts are built

once a team passes that check you can just award them the tech with team:SetHasTech

I'd thought that meant that they've built the parts, but not whether they actually launched the ship. But it apparently doesn't register the Project as complete until you sacrifice it, so that should work just fine. I'm hoping to have it working tonight; my test save is saved RIGHT before I sacrifice the last of the pieces, so assuming some incompatibility doesn't crash me, it should work.

i havent played civ5 till a spaceship launch so i don't know how it works... is there a button you have to press "Launch rocket ship!" ?

is there a button you have to press "Launch rocket ship!" ?

No. Each of the six spaceship pieces has an "Add to Spaceship" action that sacrifices it once it reaches your capital. Once all six have been added, the game normally ends. With the victory turned off, there's a small popup button that says "+1 in Science Victory, gives 0 Victory Points", and nothing else happens.

Okay, I've got it coded up to award the tech if you get all of the spaceship parts built, and I've got the code full of debug print statements for the Tuner to work with. But I'm too tired to actually check it out tonight, so I'll try it tomorrow and let you all know. If it works, then I'll try getting in most of the other effects of the spaceship launch, and I can finally remove the "temporary" link between Centauri Ecology and the rest of the tree.

Incidentally, I just played a test game straight through from the Ancient Era, and it really held together well. It was hard to keep everyone happy until the later eras, and even then only because I went right for the Social Policies that helped with happiness (Piety branch, for instance).
There were really only two major problems:
> Once you reached the Modern era, techs were coming every 3 turns. In the future eras it held to the ratio, so it stayed 3 turns, but that's still too short IMO. It seems that the culprit is, as mentioned before, all the +50% research buildings (Library*, University, Observatory, Public School, Research Lab). A city with all of these is just way too good at producing beakers; the full set in the core game produces 5.25 beakers per population (50% + 50% + 50% + 100%, plus the base value, then multiply the whole thing by 1.5 for the Library). I'd already lowered the Research Lab down to 50% (so only 4.5 per, instead), but I think I need more.
So I'm considering the following:
Library: 1 beaker per 3 population (+33% instead of +50%)
University: +30%, but keep the +2 gold per jungle and maybe throw in something similar for rivers or something
Observatory: +30%
Public School: +40%
Research Lab: +50%
That's 3.33 beakers per population. It's still a bit too fast (that's only ~4 turns per tech), so the other possibility is to change the global research rate. I might try bumping it up by 50%, but then a late-era start would REALLY take forever to get your first tech.
1a> Also, there were a couple buildings that just seemed useless in the core game (Water Mill, mainly), and I'll see about bumping up their effects. (Water Mill, for instance, could give +10% food to that city instead of a flat +2. This'd give a BIG long-term benefit to cities founded along rivers.)

2> Diplomatic wins are just too easy, because in general, the AI doesn't make much attempt to have multiple city-state allies. Also, the income scales up much faster than the diplomatic payoffs do, although I know which variable in the XML controls that.

But overall, it worked pretty well if I do say so myself. So it's getting there.

> Once you reached the Modern era, techs were coming every 3 turns. In the future eras it held to the ratio, so it stayed 3 turns, but that's still too short IMO. It seems that the culprit is, as mentioned before, all the +50% research buildings (Library*, University, Observatory, Public School, Research Lab). A city with all of these is just way too good at producing beakers; the full set in the core game produces 5.25 beakers per population (50% + 50% + 50% + 100%, plus the base value, then multiply the whole thing by 1.5 for the Library). I'd already lowered the Research Lab down to 50% (so only 4.5 per, instead), but I think I need more.

Started my game in the Modern era (Fusion?) last night, and my techs are still only coming around once every 9 turns (edit: just started researching Industrial Economics, and it will take 7 turns), so balance currently is pretty good if starting in a later era.

Two observations:

1) Placed a worker onto a forest square in my territory, and I was given the option to build a forest.

2) China conceded a city to me for peace, and I immediately found that city was at war with a neighboring C-S. As far as I know I did nothing to provoke that C-S, and can only assume that, because the Chinese were at war with this C-S, then for some reason there was a loophole in the code that allowed the C-S to continue prosecuting the war against this one city (which just happened to be mine).

1a> Also, there were a couple buildings that just seemed useless in the core game (Water Mill, mainly), and I'll see about bumping up their effects. (Water Mill, for instance, could give +10% food to that city instead of a flat +2. This'd give a BIG long-term benefit to cities founded along rivers.)

If starting in a future era, then the watermill as-is gives a nice little growth boost early on. Also, to differentiate for a future era game, I've changed the name to "Resevoir" (with its food benefits being fish farms and genetically altered kelp): it implies a higher tech level.

Found a major bug: in the balance mod, I'd tweaked the penalties for Unhappy/Very Unhappy, to try and make it a bit smoother of a progression. Specifically, the growth penalty is -50%/-75%, the very unhappy combat penalty is increased to -50%. This was to keep it from being absolutely crippling to growth, while making it much harder to fight while unhappy.

I was up to about -15 on the Unhappiness scale last night and got a severe warning from my advisor. Never amounted to anything bad because I'd already subdued the AIs on my continent and was in the mdoe of replenishing/ rebuilding after my wars. Imagine if circumstances had been different it could have been bad, though.

Right now I'm finding that the AIs have no counters to my air attacks: I just bomb and heal, bomb and heal, bomb and heal, and the AI doesn't seem to be coded to do anything about my air attacks.

D

Started my game in the Modern era (Fusion?) last night, and my techs are still only coming around once every 9 turns (edit: just started researching Industrial Economics, and it will take 7 turns), so balance currently is pretty good if starting in a later era.

Modern is now "Nuclear", Fusion is two eras later (the middle of the three new eras). Confusing, I know.
Even that 7 turns is a little on the short side IMNSHO; I was aiming for 8-10. So I think I WILL go with a flat +50% on the research costs (so that 7 would now become 10-11), but I'd like to do what I mentioned before and give a massive discount on the first few techs in any late-era start. I'm just looking into whether that's easy to code; giving beakers is easy, telling the difference between techs you've researched and techs that were granted to you by your start, that I'm not sure on. (I might have to just trap the tech-acquisition event, count up the number of times it's happened since the game started, and go from there.)

1) Placed a worker onto a forest square in my territory, and I was given the option to build a forest.

I know. Unfortunately, while you can make an Improvement require the terrain to have a feature, you can't seem to make an Improvement require the ABSENCE of a feature. There's an option in the XML to disallow a build action if there's already an Improvement on the tile, but not something similar for Features.
I'm going to look into the UI Lua code to see if there's an easy way to gray out those buttons if there's already a feature on the tile, but that's not a high priority for me, and doesn't really stop the AI from doing this.

2) China conceded a city to me for peace, and I immediately found that city was at war with a neighboring C-S.

Interesting, but that sounds like a problem in the core game, since I've done nothing to the diplomacy or city-gifting logic.

If starting in a future era, then the watermill as-is gives a nice little growth boost early on. Also, to differentiate for a future era game, I've changed the name to "Resevoir" (with its food benefits being fish farms and genetically altered kelp): it implies a higher tech level.

(There's three "r"'s in Reservoir, by the way.) I'm pretty sure the reason they have the Water Mill in there is the same as the Wind Mill and Workshop: they were terrain improvements in Civ4, and so the developers didn't want to remove them entirely. But those other two are actually USEFUL.
I think I WILL change it to +10% instead of +2. That puts the break-even point at a size ~10 city, with larger cities getting proportionately more. (By the Fusion Era your capital will be approaching size 30 with a decent surplus, so you might be getting 7 or 8 food out of it.)

Actually, there are other buildings that suffer from the same problem, in that they basically just add the same effect as an earlier building. The Observatory, Circus, and Monastery all just add an effect nearly identical to a previous building, but only if certain features/terrains/resources are present. The Water Mill is just the most noticeable one of these, because EVERYONE settles on or near rivers for the gold boost.

I was up to about -15 on the Unhappiness scale last night and got a severe warning from my advisor. Never amounted to anything bad because I'd already subdued the AIs on my continent and was in the mdoe of replenishing/ rebuilding after my wars. Imagine if circumstances had been different it could have been bad, though.

Well, you were getting a few massive bonuses, then, instead of the penalties you should have been facing. If you were only below 0 for a brief period then it doesn't mean much, but if you'd been down there a while, you were doing substantially better than you should have been.
(Also, the -50% production penalty and Settler ban for Very Unhappy were unaffected by this bug. So it's not all positive.)

There are actually a few others I want to add. I want there to be a -25% combat penalty for Unhappy, and a -25% production penalty as well. (Currently there's no penalty for either at Unhappy and then both go to -50% at Very Unhappy.) Make people really try to keep it above zero. But neither of these has an XML entry, so I'll have to wait and see what happens with the other LUA edits I'm doing.

Right now I'm finding that the AIs have no counters to my air attacks

Yeah, but it's always been like that. A Human player knows that if you're the first one to get aircraft then you can attack all-out but that once everyone else has them you need to allocate fighters to defense.

That's actually one of my motivations for making the Needlejet have a unique combat class (the Multirole): now, the AI will have more air units capable of interception/sweep missions, so you should see them more often, assuming you make it to the Fusion Era in the first place.

Which brings up something I've been thinking about: the Cloudbase Academy. Currently, its effect seems a bit weak to me: it gives +4 range to all air units (except satellites) and allows your fighters to perform interceptions twice per turn instead of once (which makes it a lot harder to clear the way for bombers). The problem is that, as you've noticed, the AI doesn't seem to put much effort into dealing with interception.
I'm going to boost it, adding "+20% Combat against other Air units", which'd help on interceptions but helps whether it's your unit doing the intercepting or your bomber being intercepted. And that's basically the same effect I gave the Maritime Control Center (except obviously that one's naval-vs-naval, which is a lot more common). I'm also giving the city that builds the Cloudbase +50% versus air attacks.
(And the reason I'm so focused on interception on this one? Its movie. The Cloudbase Academy movie was one of my absolute favorites.)

In the words of Homer Simpson, "Sweet Merciful Crap!" It took me most of my holiday weekend, but I've got the Spaceship working, to where I can now give pretty much any benefit I want to civs that either build the spaceship, or are the first to build it. And I'm almost done adapting it to work for other buildings, wonders, etc. It's NEARLY done; there are only a couple minor benefits left to be implemented. The painful part has been linking up all the notifications (so when you get a free tech, that orange symbol pops up and takes you to the list of available techs, and so that it'd tell you when any other civs launched). But it works now, and it's beautiful.

This is one point where I really need some detailed feedback, though. Are the components too easy to build now (I reduced their costs a while back), are the benefits too much, is it too confusing to someone who's been playing the core game (I'm going to change the Civilopedia entries, but I haven't got to most of them yet), and so on.

So here's how it works.
If you build a spaceship, ever, you get the following:
> The tech "Centauri Ecology", which can't be acquired any other way (including Great Scientist bulbs or research agreements). Since I put the tech in the Nuclear Era, this means any Digital Era (or later) start will give you the tech for free. Starting with this tech would also disable the SS parts.
> A free Social Policy
> A full-length Golden Age (10 turns at normal speed)
> Any non-Barbarian civs at war with you immediately declare peace. I haven't set a lockout timer on this one yet. Still working on that. So there's nothing stopping them from re-declaring, yet, from what I can tell.
You get these at the start of the turn after you launched.

If you were the FIRST to launch, you get something extra:
> A free tech of your choice
> The free Golden Age lasts twice as long (20 turns at normal speed)
Not implemented yet: +1 UN vote.
But, "first" means you have to have been the only person to launch on that turn. A simultaneous launch means no one gets the prize; the idea is that if only one civ's colonists arrive at AC, then it becomes in effect a colony of that empire, while multiple nations mean a joint operation.

v.0.07 (dated 11/28/10) changelog
> Barbarians are now active the entire game. If you can’t handle them by the time you’re getting gravtanks and orbital weapons, you have bigger problems.
> Merchant Exchange was increased from giving 2 gold per luxury/strategic resource to giving 3.
> The Cloudbase Academy now gives its host city +100% city strength when fighting Air attacks. The similar bonus for the Aerospace Complex was bumped up to +50% (from 20%). The Palace now gets +100% as well.
> The Cloudbase Academy’s promotion it gives now also gives +20% combat strength versus Air units (i.e., when you intercept). None of these are particularly useful outside of very specialized situations, but they add up into something every Air enthusiast should have.
> Changed the Flavor ratings on the Maritime Control Center. Certain naval-oriented civs would go straight for it before if you started in a late era.
> Centauri Ecology can now only be acquired through building the spaceship.
> Building the spaceship gives a variety of benefits, including the Centauri Ecology tech. Being the first to build it gives even more.

I was going to put in some of the other changes we've discussed recently, like the Water Mill change, but I decided to keep this update small and focus on the spaceship part as much as possible. The next update will have a lot of those other changes, most likely including a substantial decrease in the research rates for various buildings.

Also, if you want to see what it looks like to build a spaceship without going through the fuss of playing an actual game, go into GameInfo/CIV5Projects.xml. There's a block of logic near the top, commented out, that gives one civ (Persia, at present) all of the spaceship parts at the start of the game. It's what I used for testing, and it's easy to tweak for your own purposes. (And for reference, the spaceship logic is mostly in Lua/SpatzWonders.lua, although bits of it required modification to other files.)

In the words of Homer Simpson, "Sweet Merciful Crap!" It took me most of my holiday weekend, but I've got the Spaceship working, to where I can now give pretty much any benefit I want to civs that either build the spaceship, or are the first to build it. .)

Sounds pretty awesome! :goodjob:

This is one point where I really need some detailed feedback, though. Are the components too easy to build now (I reduced their costs a while back), are the benefits too much, is it too confusing to someone who's been playing the core game (I'm going to change the Civilopedia entries, but I haven't got to most of them yet), and so on.

OK, I've looked at it from several angles now, and so here is my feedback:

1. Considering that you have 4 complete eras that occur after the completion of this project (and a ton of SPs to boot!), then I do think it is overpowered for where it is in the tech tree. Have you thought about moving it up the tech tree a little ways, maybe to the next era, or even after that? It would seem a waste to populate those proceeding eras with all those great SPs at this point in the game, and then see them go to waste!

2. The only two SPs which are in parallel (Sydney Opera House and the UN) to the spaceship components are on a research branch which doesn't have any military benefits. Question: in your games typically what does the AI do in regards to research? Do they beeline for military advantage? In my games I have seen the AIs complete the Sydney Opera House and UN before me, however that doesn't necesarily mean they focused on this branch of research while neglecting the other branches. I don't know the algorhythms regarding how the AIs determine research priorities, but I think if you were to add a couple military units to the research branch which contains the Sydney Opera House and UN that they might put more importance on this branch, otherwise I guess my concern might be that a human player might be able to make this an exploit at this point in the game by bulking up their military then weathering the storm while they focus on nabbing the SOH and UN, then pocketing the Spaceship at their leisure.

(And for reference, the spaceship logic is mostly in Lua/SpatzWonders.lua, although bits of it required modification to other files.)

Thanx for the tip - will be starting to delve into this shortly.

Tried playing a couple games this evening using your mods, however tech times are now over 60 turns starting in the Nuclear era, making it pretty difficult to get a game going. So I think this is where I start to divurge from your mod and start to focus a little more on my own mod. Therefore since you've played the game from the beginning (i.e. the Ancient era) I've got some questions for you:

1. In ciV all Factions start out with Agriculture, which is equivalent to Centauri Ecology. I know in SMACX games I would sometimes encounter a Faction 50-60 turns in who would then immediately ask for Centauri Ecology (meaning they had done no terraforming for those first 50-60 turns of the game, thus meaning that the game was pretty much trash at that point). Question: do you believe that Firaxis just gave every faction Agriculture to avoid the issue of Factions possibly not researching this tech? Reason I am asking is that I am starting to lay out my own tech tree and I would like to make Centauri Ecology a choice (as in Sid's Golden Rule of making it an Intersting Choice), however if Firaxis never bothered to fix the issue of this tech possibly not being researched in a game, then I am just going to run with giving everyone this tech.

2. From your playtesting to date what do you see as the trends in regards to what the AI does well, and what the AI does poorly? While I understand that the AIs are going to morph/ improve as time progresses, I'd like your assessments now as I believe they will give me more insight that I can then use to tweak them for better AI play.

D

Before I get into the response, I'd like to note that I now have the effects for the Dream Twister (all other civs get -5 Happiness), Planetary Datalinks (gain any tech known by 4 other civs), and Telepathic Matrix (gain any tech known by any other civ) working, with notifications as necessary (although I haven't fixed it so that the Dream Twister is listed separately in the Happiness summary at the top). I'm hoping to have the Nethack Terminus working tonight, although not in the form I'd originally intended; now, I think it's going to be a National Wonder that gives you a "they're almost done!" notification popup whenever any AI has completed more than 75% of a Wonder, and I'll probably switch the tech locations of Nethack Terminus (Digital Sentience) with Network Backbone (Optical Computers) so that you'll get this effect in the Digital age. Since the wonder also gives you a free tech, I don't think you can complain about it being underpowered.

I'm hoping to have a new version by Friday; there's a good chance I could have the production-to-culture conversion and happiness boost from Empaths working in at least limited form (where they wouldn't update the numbers on the screen but would kick in at the end of the turn), but those might have to get bumped to the next version.

1. Considering that you have 4 complete eras that occur after the completion of this project (and a ton of SPs to boot!), then I do think it is overpowered for where it is in the tech tree.

Terminology issue: while SMAC used "SP" to mean Special Project, I generally use the "Wonder" label. "SP" to me means Social Policy, i.e. the Policy branches needed for a Cultural victory. I'm not sure what the number of Wonders or their locations has to do with the spaceship's construction. You don't win by building the spaceship any more, so how would it stop you from getting those later Wonders?

Have you thought about moving it up the tech tree a little ways, maybe to the next era, or even after that?

Yes, I've thought about that. Most of the technologies needed to build an actual spaceship capable of going to Alpha Centauri would be a bit beyond the Nuclear-era technologies. For instance, Fusion Power is one of the first techs in the Fusion Era, so it seemed strange to make it a current-technology project. Thematically, it really would fit better as an early Fusion Era project.

The problem with this is Centauri Ecology, and its descendants. These should be unavailable until after you've reached Alpha Centauri for obvious reasons, but I need them to be early enough for some of the other techs to make sense (like all the bioengineering stuff in the Fusion Era). So I really didn't have any choice, and in fact moved three of the four spaceship pieces to EARLIER techs than they'd been at previously.

2. The only two SPs which are in parallel (Sydney Opera House and the UN) to the spaceship components are on a research branch which doesn't have any military benefits. Question: in your games typically what does the AI do in regards to research? Do they beeline for military advantage?

Depends on the civ. The AI seems to do a good job of considering the Flavor ratings of each tech; the only really strange one I've found is the Naval flavor. Civs that favor that (like England) focus WAY too much on naval-associated wonders and techs. For instance, if I start a Transcendence Era game, and one of the AIs is England, I can be sure that the very first thing to be built in London would be the Maritime Control Center. I've actually tweaked some of the Flavor ratings recently to reduce this effect.

And I'd be careful classifying that branch as non-military; while it has few units in the Digital Era (just the Mind Worms and Golem), those techs have all of the production, happiness, culture, and food boosts, along with most of the Wonders. (In the Fusion Era, you've got the Ranger and Troll units up there as well.) Yes, this puts you at a military disadvantage when facing a warmonger, but that's actually part of why the Digital-era combat units have such low power ratings; using Nuclear Era units (Modern Armor, Mechanized Infantry, Stealth Bombers, Jet Fighters, and Paratroopers), a defensive player should be able to hold off attackers in that era while building the Wonders and such. It's not until you reach the Fusion era that you really need some firepower to survive.

In my games I have seen the AIs complete the Sydney Opera House and UN before me, however that doesn't necesarily mean they focused on this branch of research while neglecting the other branches. I don't know the algorhythms regarding how the AIs determine research priorities,

What happens is this, from what I understand:
The AI takes the Flavor ratings of its various options. It adds a random number (say, from 1-5 for the techs, whose Flavors all total 10) to each, and then weights it by that particular AI leader's priorities. It then does a random draw on the sum of the various options. The result of this is that while all options are possibilities, those that more closely match that leader's preferences will be far more likely.
So it doesn't matter what actual items are at each tech, just what Flavor ratings were assigned to that tech. If you set the Flavor to -999 it'll never build/research it, no matter what benefit it gives, whereas a Flavor over 100 means top priority.

There are two problems with this.
1> Most military-oriented techs will have two or three Flavor ratings that add to 10 (Rocketry is 3 Air, 3 Ranged, and 4 Spaceship), while nonmilitary techs will be a single 10-point Flavor (Globalization is Diplomacy 10, Ecology is Production 10). And the way the math seems to work heavily biases towards those single-Flavor items. (See my previous comment on the Maritime Control Center.) So if any AI has an above-average Diplomacy preference, he'll go for the UN at all costs.
So the default values encourage the AI to go towards the Globalization tech line first.

I can easily tweak the Flavor ratings of some of these techs, and I'll probably do so in the next version.

2> The total Flavor ratings of Wonders goes up a bit as the game progresses; Ancient wonders, like the Pyramids, total 35, and the mid-range ones like the Sistine Chapel total 50. Eiffel Tower, Pentagon, and Statue of Liberty all total 60 (30/30), so it's still reasonable in the Industrial and early Modern.
But then you hit the last three normal-game Wonders: Cristo Redentor, United Nations, and Sydney Opera House, all of which total 100. (CR and SOH are 70 culture/30 wonder, UN is 70 diplomacy/30 wonder). A Flavor of 100 basically means "build as soon as you possibly can"; the Factory, for instance, is Production 100, so the AI will build factories ASAP as long as it has Coal.
(For reference, all of my new Wonders have total flavors of 50, with no progressive increase. I probably SHOULD bump them up a little, to 60/70/80ish.)

So I'll lower the Flavors on those three wonders to 30/30, which should cause the AI to not go so overboard on them. Like so many other things I've found, it's yet another case of how the developers decided to code the Modern Era as a completely unbalanced "endgame", which conflicts with any mod trying to extend the tree.

bulking up their military then weathering the storm while they focus on nabbing the SOH and UN, then pocketing the Spaceship at their leisure.

Well, if the bonuses for building the spaceship are large enough, then you won't want to wait until "at their leisure". And there's another factor, the tech prereqs:
Centauri Ecology is only unlocked through the spaceship. The techs along the top row of the tree all depend on it directly, but there's also a diagonal progression; Retroviral Engineering (row 3) requires Centauri Empathy, and that tech gives you the Genejack Factory, the future equivalent of the Factory's production boost. Subatomic Alloys (row 4) in turn requires Retroviral Engineering, and that's the tech that unlocks Neutronium, a key military resource. Advanced Spaceflight (row 6) in turn requires Subatomic Alloys, Matter Compression (row 8) requires that, and Quantum Power (row 9) requires that.
So if you don't build a spaceship, you simply can't enter the Nanotech Era, and only five Fusion Era techs don't lead back to Centauri Ecology. (Granted, they're very military-oriented techs.) You can get around this a bit through the Planetary Datalinks (which now works!), but that'll only kick in when 4 other civs already have the tech you're missing. And it won't ever give you Centauri Ecology, which among other things unlocks the Omnicytes strategic resource. This can be crippling to a military.

Tried playing a couple games this evening using your mods, however tech times are now over 60 turns starting in the Nuclear era,

I'm assuming you mean that that was the time for a game that starts in the Nuclear Era. I agree that it's a problem, and hopefully my next round of changes will help that a bit. For one thing, I'm trying to code into the .lua a patch that makes your first few techs cheaper than normal if you start in an advanced era. So for an Industrial/Nuclear start, maybe you get 4 times the normal beaker production on the first tech you research, 3 times on the second, 2.5 on the third, and so on until after 10 or so techs you're paying the normal amounts. With your numbers, that'd mean a 15-turn first tech. (To compensate a bit, I still intend to reduce the effects of research buildings significantly, so it'd probably be more like 20 turns when I'm done.) It might not display correctly, so it might still say that it'd take 60-80 turns, but you'd actually get the tech in 20ish and I can probably add a popup notification explaining this whenever you get a new tech. Something like "For this next technology you will get 400% of the usual progress."

The problem is just that the game is balanced around you having a complete empire by that point in the game, and no one really starts in the Modern Era in the core game because you're only a few turns away from winning by Diplomacy or Space. So there's no need to balance it for the stable-state long term, because you'll never reach that. The default was to just cut all of the tech costs by a large percentage, to compensate for your much smaller empire (which'd never grow to full size before the game ends). But this just isn't sustainable in later eras, because it doesn't scale; if the default is for all techs to cost 20% of their normal values for an Industrial start, you'd still only be paying 20% once you reached the Fusion Era (by which point you WOULD have a full-sized empire), and you'd be getting everything in one turn of research.

Question: do you believe that Firaxis just gave every faction Agriculture to avoid the issue of Factions possibly not researching this tech?

Basically, yes. In Civ4 you had civs with different starting techs, and while the smart move (unless you were beelining for religions) was to pick up the "essentials" (Agriculture, Mining, Fishing, etc.), it was just too easy for an AI to bypass at least one of those and go a little ways down a tech line. SMAC had been even worse for this; its tech tree was so convoluted that it was really easy for a civ to not have many of the low-tier techs. Counting Alien Crossfire, there were 8 techs in the lowest tier of the SMAC tree, and you could go a LONG way down the tree without picking up any of them.

Civ5 is different. The tech tree is a lot more cross-connected, to where you just can't progress quite so far along a single line (with a few notable exceptions), and there are no dead-end techs at all (which is a lot more SMAC-like than Civ4-like). This helps the AI, in that it won't made stupid decisions nearly so often since there'll be less need to look three or four techs down the road.

This actually is related to one of the basic design principles behind my mod. If you look at the tech tree you see a LOT of diagonal connections, as I mentioned in the earlier discussion on Centauri Ecology. This tends to encourage researching a single tier at a time and not moving on until you've completed the column, instead of beelining down a single row to get a good long-term tech. That's something an AI can handle pretty well, which reduces the Human Advantage.
And that's also why I tried to have every technology give two or three things, instead of the core game's tendency to have techs that only offer a single building or unit. That way, the AI won't be penalized so badly for researching a technology whose benefit isn't really what it needs; if each tech is giving you a Wonder, a unit, and a bonus to some type of Improvement, then the AI is never really harmed by taking that tech over others.

2. From your playtesting to date what do you see as the trends in regards to what the AI does well, and what the AI does poorly?

The biggest problem with the AI is just a question of adaptation. Take tile improvement; a human player would know that the priorities are:
1> Put the appropriate Improvement on every luxury or strategic you don't already have.
2> Connect every city with a road to the capital as soon as possible, and later on a railroad.
3> Improving bonus resources and redundant luxuries/strategics.
4> Everything else.
The AI DOES have some basic logic in it to determine how many workers he needs, and then sets priorities to "Need Workers", "Want Workers", or "Enough Workers". (One bug in the core game is that those first two are disabled for any games starting after about the Renaissance Era, so an AI in a Modern Era start in the core game would almost never produce any Workers. This was especially noticeable for city-states.) But beyond that, the AI is stupid; he'd rather move his Worker one tile and place a Farm than spend two turns moving to that new Strategic and hooking it up, even though the strategic would benefit him far more on the long run.

This is endemic to the AI. Each unit seems to react as an individual unit, based on what's around it, instead of being directed by some higher authority. For instance, I'd invade the Mongol Empire, and while I'm sitting on one side of the empire annihilating his cities, I can see his cavalry on the far side of the empire fighting an allied City-State that was no real threat. A smart player would realize that the City-State was no threat and would move those units to where they could save the empire, but the AI doesn't do that.

Okay, based on the earlier conversation, I've implemented the research boost I was talking about. Here's how it works. (And yes, I've tested it, it works, although it's not pretty; it doesn't actually display the change in the toolbar yet, but I'm working on it.)

For each era you start in after the Ancient, you get a discount on two techs. So starting in the Industrial Era (era #4) means the first 8 techs are at a discount. The assumption is that by the time you're past those 8, your empire is up to speed and fully productive and doesn't need the boost any more.

The "discount" is handled in the form of a multiplier on the beakers you produce, and the size of the multiplier starts off bigger and then tapers down. For an Industrial start, the first tech is x2.4, the second is x2.2, the third is x2.0, then 1.8, 1.6, 1.45, 1.30, 1.15, and the ninth and all later techs are at the normal price. In the most extreme case, a Transcendence Era start is x3.25 for the first tech and you get a discount on the first 18.
At the same time, I reduced the science output of the various research buildings, slowing things down by ~40%, which should get the late-era research rate to a more reasonable value. Universities only add 30% (but also add 1 culture), Libraries only give 1 research per 3 citizens (AND have only 1 specialist slot instead of 2), and so on. So cities without a full set of buildings (like, say, starting cities in a late-era start, or cities belonging to an AI) won't be quite so penalized relative to a fully-loaded city.

As a test case, I played a game starting in the Nuclear Era. The start was on turn 650, and my first tech came on turn 674, and that was without unlocking the Rationalism tree at all. (I built Universities in my three cities, but not until after I'd made a couple extra Workers.) And I was thinking of boosting the population of starting cities by 1 in later eras, which'd make it go a little faster. For reference, I then hit a Golden age in turn 679, and bulbed another tech on the same turn (which reduced the discount of the second tech a bit further), meaning I got my next tech in 688.

So it seems like this scaling has worked. I'll post the latest version tomorrow, once I clean up a few little things here and there, and hopefully this'll stop that 60-turn first tech problem once and for all.

So I guess I'll give you some feedback. I almost finished my first game. I enjoyed a lot!:)

Settings: king diff, small continents, quick combat, abundant resources, playing as India. Started at nuclear era
Policies: first rationalism, then a mix of freedom en commercial

I thought I was going to have a very difficult time, but...

(0. It's possibly that rationalism + India's UA is just OP)

1. 75% of the time, I'm having a golden age. My happiness is at +150 atm. I conquered 2 civs and I count annex without problems. Happiness goes up for each city I add to my empire. I also can use a lot of great people, which I get too frequent I think.

2. The production boosting buildings make that I can build every single building in 1 turn in my best 5 cities. Even wonders are < 5 turns, I only missed 2 in the entire game.

3. Research is at least 3 times too fast. I'm getting over 3000 beakers per turn, researching through the fusion and nanotech era at 1 tech / 2 turns (the final transcendence tech is at 4 turns atm) Not sure if your update of tomorrow will solve this. The year is 2061 and I'm killing everyone using nessus worms.

4. Gold. I get > 500 gpt. When I annex a city, I can immediately buy the most important stuff. Maybe put a limit of one building per turn per city/ 5 per turn overall?

5. Culture is also too fast. Currently it's 2061 and I nearly finished 3 policies while annexing every city I conquer. (More than 20 cities in my empire atm) Getting 500+ culture per turn (not sure of the exact number.

6. The AI doesn't upgrade its units, they have the money + tech though. They also tend to build a lot of anti-aircraft guns. The best units I've seen are one panzer, a few laser infantries, and no more than 10 mech infs.
When they build spaceship parts, they often don't add them to the space ship apparantly (seeing this by geosync pod)
Sometimes the AI builds a lot of carrier, with only very few battleships.

General stuff:
In the happiness popup, unhappiness is displayed as 0."correct number"

Sometimes Civ crashes when loading a savegame, but I only crashed twice when playing (and losing 30 turns... :S)

Even on abundant, some resources are very hard to come by. Especially aluminium and dilithium. (restarted in the digital era a few times to check this)

I really like this mod, this is all purely constructive criticism.

Regarding future era units, I think it's more useful to give tanklike units a tank icon, air units air icons etc etc. It's difficult to see which unit is what on the map when they all got a star icon.

Screenshots will be added on request.

Cheers,

Aleph00
(yes I registered to write this post :p)

Oh, and have you made any progress on units that can 'fly' over water? I really like that feature.

So I guess I'll give you some feedback. I almost finished my first game.

Which version number of the mod were you using? The tarfile should have had the version number on it (the game will just say "v1"). If you don't have the tarfile, what are the dates on the files?
A lot of the things you describe (the insane building/research times and such) sound like things that were tweaked in the most recent versions. I've been posting new versions roughly once every three days, so if you played a long game at a reasonable pace, it's likely you were using a version one or two behind the current.
For instance, v.0.06 greatly increased unhappiness from population and reduced happiness for a few buildings. v.0.05 (from 11/21) drastically changed the discounts for starting in a later era. So if you were getting those sorts of numbers with a v.0.07 start (the most recently published version, although obviously I'm on v.0.08 internally) then there's a real problem. But it's possible that these are already fixed.

Started at nuclear era

This is the real culprit to most of the headaches you'll find, and I'm trying hard to fix that because I want a late start to still be workable. When you start at a later era, you're getting a lot of buildings for free even before the discounts are brought into play. The upside is that each new city gains happiness since it'll have more +happy buildings already in place than it costs in population unhappiness. The only real compensation for this is that Settlers get ridiculously expensive for late-era starts.

This also explains many of the other things you saw, like the plentiful Great People. In a normal game you get them slowly over the course of a game (with the incremental cost going up after each one), and in a normal game Specialists just aren't a good idea out of some very specific situations. But in a late-era start, you're generating LARGE numbers of GPPs from your specialists (who, with the right policies or Wonders, are more productive than any non-resource tile), while the cost is still low because it hasn't incremented a dozen times from your previous GPs. That's all actually part of the core game, it's just that people normally don't start that late in the tree.

1. 75% of the time, I'm having a golden age. My happiness is at +150 atm.

Well, there are two separate issues here. The first is that if you're on a runaway Wonder spree, and are getting every single Wonder, then yes, you'll have a high Happiness. If you'd been splitting some of these with the AI then it'd be a bit lower. Or again, version control. In v.0.06 I changed it to 1.2 unhappiness per population instead of 1.0, and that made a big change for large-city empires. So I'm trying to get that +150 down to a more reasonable level.

And second, this is actually part of a deliberate change. By the time you're in the Fusion Era, you're NOT going to be worried about sliding below zero any more; there are more than enough +happiness buildings to stay above zero once you've developed your cities. What it'll do, as you've noticed, is have you bumping in and out of a Golden Age periodically. Once you hit the Transcendence Era and start building luxury-producing national wonders (Quantum Converter, Paradise Garden) everyone should have insanely high Happiness, so I'm not counting that.

I'm still tweaking, of course, so any numbers you can give would be useful. I usually go the Piety route over Rationalism so I expect high Happiness.

2. The production boosting buildings make that I can build every single building in 1 turn in my best 5 cities. Even wonders are < 5 turns, I only missed 2 in the entire game.

The problem with those sorts of things isn't really the production-boosting itself, it's the Era discount. In the core game, starting in the Modern/Nuclear era reduces all building costs to 30% of their original values, and so far I haven't changed that in the mod. I'll look into that.
(And remember, Golden Ages = more production.)

3. Research is at least 3 times too fast.

This definitely sounds like one of the earlier versions. But yes, that's a real problem; the first few techs would be far too slow, but once you got set up, you'd reach a ridiculous pace.
I've bumped the era-based research percent a few times already, but the upcoming version (hopefully out tonight) should help this with both a nerfing of the research buildings (which should slow the pace down by ~30-40%) and a large boost for your first few techs to make them affordable while your empire gets up to speed.

4. Gold. I get > 500 gpt. When I annex a city, I can immediately buy the most important stuff. Maybe put a limit of one building per turn per city/ 5 per turn overall?

I'm not sure if I CAN put in a limit like that. Gold, in general, is a serious balance issue; a lot of the wonders in the Digital Era are economic (I've changed that a bit in the soon-to-be-released version, swapping the Network Backbone with the Nethack Terminus, but it's still a bit skewed), and I'm in the middle of re-assessing the maintenance cost of my later-era buildings. (Most of them will probably go up.) Even so, you'll be making a substantial profit in the later eras, and yes, this'll allow you to rush the essential buildings (which is actually sort of intentional).

Also, remember that you're in nearly-constant golden ages. That really boosts gold output of tiles.

5. Culture is also too fast. Currently it's 2061 and I nearly finished 3 policies while annexing every city I conquer. (More than 20 cities in my empire atm) Getting 500+ culture per turn (not sure of the exact number.

Question: in your version, does the Ascetic Virtues still say "adds 1 culture per specialist"? There's a MASSIVE bug in the SpecialistExtraCulture logic in the core game and I didn't find that out until a couple versions ago. In my most recent games I don't think I ever exceeded ~500 culture per turn even at Transcendence, and earlier eras were lower.
But even so, I think 500 culture per turn isn't an unreasonable rate when each new policy costs 8-10k. 3 policy trees at that point isn't TOO bad, because a cultural victory requires 5 and I want culture wins to still be an option at that point.

6. The AI doesn't upgrade its units, they have the money + tech though.

Usually it's because they don't have the strategic resource. Nearly every unit in my eras requires at least one strategic resource; only the Laser Infantry and Geosynchronous Survey Pod require none. So if you're only seeing Laser Infantry, Mechanized Infantry, Destroyers, etc., then that's probably the reason.
Part of the problem, fixed a couple versions ago, is that the AI is explicitly flagged to not build more Workers once it reaches the Industrial Era. So if you start in a later era, they'll almost never produce any.
(When you conquer an enemy, are his tiles fully improved? This could also explain why you get Wonders so easily. If he's only working with the two or three workers he started with and never building more, then it's likely he's not improved most of his territory early on.)

When they build spaceship parts, they often don't add them to the space ship apparantly (seeing this by geosync pod)

I've seen this sort of thing several times, and I have no idea what's happening. I didn't change the AIs, so I'm not sure why so many non-combat units will act strangely. I'm still looking into it.

Sometimes Civ crashes when loading a savegame, but I only crashed twice when playing (and losing 30 turns... :S)

I've only seen that happen when I try loading a savegame that used an older version than my current mod, myself.

Even on abundant, some resources are very hard to come by. Especially aluminium and dilithium. (restarted in the digital era a few times to check this)

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about this. Aluminum and Uranium are coded into the game as a number of large deposits, and not nearly as many small deposits. The idea, I think, is that by the time you reach their era you'll likely have a larger empire and will have at least one local deposit. But if you start in a late era, it's easily possible you won't have any.

Dilithium is a strange case. It's a purely aquatic resource, which obviously means you need to have coastal cities AND have their culture borders spread out far enough. And aquatic resources only use a single deposit size (none of the large/small split that land resources use), so there won't be very many. There SHOULD be, on average, two dilithium deposits per major civ in the world (and there's no way there can be less than 1), but they might be out near islands somewhere.
I've been looking at adding Dilithium to lakes as well; obviously the only way to put the Improvement, currently, would be to build a city on the shore of the lake. But once I get the "can move across water" thing working you'd be able to do this more easily by moving a Former to the tile.

A Nuclear or Digital start is actually the worst possible for this resource. You don't see the deposits, so you can't place a city near one, but you also haven't had time to expand your borders enough to make it likely you pick up a deposit.

Regarding future era units, I think it's more useful to give tanklike units a tank icon, air units air icons etc etc.

There'll be custom icons for all of these units when I'm done; I was just using the star as a placeholder. But you're right, for testing purposes it'd be better to copy the previous types more, so I'll try to sneak that into the next version.

Which version number of the mod were you using? The tarfile should have had the version number on it (the game will just say "v1"). If you don't have the tarfile, what are the dates on the files?
I'm using v0.07, played like 4 hours. I'll try another game on higher difficulty.

This is the real culprit to most of the headaches you'll find, and I'm trying hard to fix that because I want a late start to still be workable. When you start at a later era, you're getting a lot of buildings for free even before the discounts are brought into play.

Maybe you can add a building that will be built automatically in every city (like a granary for nuclear era start that doubles or triples the GP cost?

In the core game, starting in the Modern/Nuclear era reduces all building costs to 30% of their original values, and so far I haven't changed that in the mod. I'll look into that.
Definately change that back to 100% (or maybe even 120%)

I'm still tweaking, of course, so any numbers you can give would be useful.
4 screenies in attachment.

Some general remarks:
Maybe you could increase the unhappiness for resistance and especially for occupation. I find it difficult to imagine that when a city gets occupied in the fusion era, people will be unhappy. Maybe you can even put that in your long mod, scale unhappiness of occupied cities with the current era. (or increase it, if it already happens)

And when income and production increases, I find it logical to increase the (production) cost of new buildings. I build the cloudbase academy in 2 turns, gravship in 2 turns, nessus wormS in one turn,...

Well, I gtg now. I'll reply to the other stuff when I come back

Attachments

• economic.jpg
    economic.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 315
  • tech.jpg
    tech.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 367
  • happyhappy.jpg
    happyhappy.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 339
  • sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 373
Addenda:
1> One of the reasons for the massive 500gpt surplus you had is that all "Free" buildings are exactly that, free. That means that you're not paying maintenance on a Library, Temple, Monument, Workshop, etc. if you start in a later era, and that adds up FAST.
One way around this would be to change things, simply, to not giving you any free buildings for a late start. Obviously, this makes the game less fun in that you'll spend your first few dozen turns in the Nuclear Era building Ancient structures, so I'm looking into ways to just turn the maintenance for provided buildings back on.
If you were to start a game in the Ancient Era and play straight through, you'd have a MASSIVE amount of building maintenance to pay each turn. I think mine was something like 800gpt in the Digital Era, so taking the SP that reduces building maintenance by 10% starts looking REALLY good. Unit maintenance wasn't exactly low, either, because of the inflation factor. So it's really just a question of your start era more than anything else, IMO.

2> Also, I didn't notice until you'd mentioned the gold:
In the Eras.xml table, there's a gold maintenance multiplier. For Nuclear, I think it's 60%. So all unit and building maintenance costs that you DO pay are being reduced even further. I'm really tempted to put that back up to 100%. Or even HIGHER than 100%, to compensate for the previous point; if all of the new buildings cost 50% more than normal, it still wouldn't compensate for all of the free cheaper structures until you had a VERY developed city, at which point you should have enough money from other sources anyway to cover it.

In fact, I'm starting to feel that way about a lot of the values in that table. There are so many discounts for starting in a later era (culture, production, reserach, build times, construction times, you name it) that balance goes out the window. I'm tempted to set all of those to 100% and just see what happens; I've already got code in place to boost your first few techs, it shouldn't be too hard to expand that to your first few buildings as well, so I can cover the "getting up to speed" period just fine.

Regardless, I'll tweak these numbers for the next version. Frankly, this is something that any future-era mod is going to have to deal with, so it's worthwhile to get this debugged in general.

Okay, something's seriously wrong here. I looked at your screenshots, and a couple things immediately jumped out:
1> I have no idea what's going wrong with the Unhappiness UI. Obviously it's not ACTUALLY 0.02 unhappiness for occupied population. I didn't change this UI, so it might just be what happens if you go over 100 in one of the unhappiness categories (something that probably doesn't happen often in a normal game).
But even if you assume they're all off by 100 (as evidenced by the total), that's still only 2 unhappiness. It should be 1.6 per occupied population (/2 for India?), although if you're puppeting those two cities then it might be right, since I don't know the equation for puppets.
2> Your tech tree looks wrong. Every tech should have at least two icons on it, except for Nanomatter Editation (and that only because I haven't implemented one of the icons yet). Where are all the Wonder/Building icons? (Or did you turn those off somehow?)

As for the others:
> The SP one actually looks okay to me. 567 culture means ~12 turns per SP at the cost you're showing, and you shouldn't be getting to +567 without building most of the culture-boosting buildings, so most people would be lower. The thing is, while the next SP is listed as costing 7k, the cost will go up quickly after that. 8k, 10k, 12k, you'll have a hard time getting to 20 SPs, and the +567 isn't likely to increase much beyond the point you're at now.
And remember, you swept the Wonders. Every Wonder adds 1-2 culture, plus multipliers, and you have them all. So a good fraction of that 567 are things that, under normal circumstances, you wouldn't have.
> Size 30+ cities are going to be insanely productive. There's really no way around that. I think I'll tweak the exponent on the growth equation (from 2.0 up to maybe 2.2; default is 1.8) to keep from growing that large so fast, but they'll get there eventually. But again, the culprit is probably that Era file; there's a GrowthMultiplier in there, too, which reduces the amount of food a city needs to grow across the board.
(Question: are you using both mods, meaning the Crazy Spatz balance mod, or just the SMAC content mod? Most of the growth slowdown is in the balance mod.)

(That Era file is REALLY starting to piss me off. I understand the logic of it, but I seriously doubt the Firaxis folks tried to actually balance the different start eras at all.)

Also, while that screenshot showed improved tiles, you took it LONG after the game's start. My point was that, if the AI isn't producing new workers, there'd be a point in, say, the Digital Era where a human player would have long since terraformed everything while the AI will still be struggling to connect his cities and resources, because he'll only have the 2-3 workers he started with. It's obviously a huge advantage to the player in that case. But if you're using 0.07 then it should be fixed already.

Finally, I'll point out that I'd originally intended to play this using the Tech Diffusion mod, and I still might implement its logic as part of the core Crazy Spatz mod. This mod keeps the AI from getting twenty techs behind and never getting any Wonders, so it's probably pretty integral to this discussion. (The main reason I hadn't is that it's a purely positive boost, speeding up research.) If the AI had picked up a few of the Digital wonders, you'd have been considerably worse off financially.

1> I have no idea what's going wrong with the Unhappiness UI. Obviously it's not ACTUALLY 0.02 unhappiness for occupied population. I didn't change this UI, so it might just be what happens if you go over 100 in one of the unhappiness categories
But even if you assume they're all off by 100 (as evidenced by the total), that's still only 2 unhappiness.

It shows 0.02, but it's really 2. I'll pay attention next time to see if it has to do with some overflow. I'll also play another civ than India, I guess they're quite ideal for big-ass cities.

although if you're puppeting those two cities then it might be right, since I don't know the equation for puppets.
There are more puppets, pay attention to the slider :)

Question: are you using both mods
I'm using both the long mod and the content mod.

Is there any way to sent PM's on this forum? :)

If you want me to test some stuff, feel free to ask.

Is there any way to sent PM's on this forum? :)

Yes, just click on the person's name; but, if it's related to the mod, it's better to keep it in the thread. That way, if someone else runs into a similar issue or wants to put in their own opinions, there won't be a lot of repetition. It's also useful for me to have the feedback in an easily-visible form, because I DO take these things into account as I'm tweaking.

India definitely has an advantage in terms of population unhappiness, but it's still a problem if you're getting size 30+ cities that early in the first place. So here's what I'm going to do tonight:
> Increase the exponent on growth to 2.2 (was 2.0, and is 1.8 in the base game), making it harder to grow a really huge city. This makes a size 20ish city take about 50% more food per size increase, and a size 40 city take twice the previous amount. (2.5 and 3.5 times the base game's amounts, respectively)
> Base unhappiness is going back to 4/8, because I just did a bit of reshuffling:
In the core game, the Temple adds 3 culture, the Colosseum 4 happiness, and the Library +50% research.
I'm changing the Temple to 1 happiness and 1 culture, the Colosseum to 3 happiness and 1 culture, and the Library to 33% research and 1 culture. (In other words, the TOTALS stay the same, except for the research decrease, but you'll now get the happiness a little earlier and the culture a little later.) I've also changed the later research buildings similarly; Observatory is now only 20% research and 3 culture, for instance. Obviously I'm open to changing it back, but if I move the base unhappiness to 4 then I need some +happy earlier and smaller than the Colosseum, and research just depended far too much on which buildings you had.
> Drastically reduce the discounts you get on growth, production, etc. for starting in earlier eras. Not set them to 100%, generally, but get them at least onto the same close order.
(I may have to increase my previously-mentioned tech increase for your first few techs, to balance this.)
> Not only am I going to entirely eliminate the discount for building maintenance, I'm going to try setting it to 150% to see what happens, although I probably won't keep it there in the long run.
> I'll increase the maintenance costs of future buildings across the board in general.

Okay, after totally overhauling all of the Era variables, my latest test game started in the Industrial Era, and the tech progression went 23 turns for the first one, 19 for the second, 16 for the third, 12 for the fourth, and so on; by the time I was in the late Nuclear Era it was holding pretty steady at 7-8 turns per. So it looks like starting at a middle Era more or less works; I can tweak the multipliers a bit to flatten it out a bit more, but it's playable in the current state and I like the balance a lot better than before.

The only real complaint I have is that Settlers cost WAY too much. Like, "more than a Wonder" much. No idea how to fix that; they're pretty much the only thing in the game that isn't tied to one of the existing Era multipliers. It's not too bad once you get your cities built up (for a size 12ish city with Factories, it was taking 10-15 turns per Settler), but that's a couple hundred turns in.

But on the bright side, money was a HUGE issue for me so far; for the entire Industrial and most of the early Modern, I was basically at zero income. It wasn't until I invaded another empire and hooked up their cities to the network that I started pulling ahead, and it's still far less than I'd see in previous games.
One thing is, I was mistaken on the whole "free building" thing; you still have to pay the upkeep, which means that your starting cities will actually LOSE money until you connect them. I kinda like it this way, but it meant I had to bump up the starting gold. I still want to keep an eye on it, because I think the AI isn't handling this so well, and shifts into "emphasize gold" mode in all cities as a result.
So I might have to give each player a tapering gold bonus in the same way I did research, to help them get up to speed. We'll see.

I was going to post the latest version tonight, but I found a couple things I want to straighten out after some sleep. So figure tomorrow night.

Okay, it's a day late, but in my defense, I had a nasty computer virus to clean up and didn't want to upload any files until I could be sure it was clean.

The high points:
- I've been trying to balance the game better when you start at a later era. I think it's pretty decent now; an Industrial start gives you new techs every ~16 turns while your empire is getting established, and you won't see any 1-turn Wonder builds.
- I'd previously added various boosts to all of the terrain improvements except the GP-created ones. Since they're so specialized, I now gave them even larger boosts, so they're worth building even with the GPs you get late in the game.
- A few of the custom Wonder effects now work.
- The Balance mod has a lot of changes to its buildings. Some of these might get changed back, but I'm seeing if this makes the game progress better in an Ancient start.

v.0.08 changelog (12/4)
> Starting a game in a later era gives a discount for the first few techs, 2 per era (so 2 techs for Classical, 8 for Industrial, 18 for Transcendence). The first tech of each game will be multiplied by (1.0 + 0.6*EraID), meaning 3.4 for Industrial, 4.0 for Nuclear, up to 6.4 for Transcendence, and it scales down with a more or less triangular function. The tooltips at the top of the screen (number of beakers, and turns until next tech) don&#8217;t account for this, though.
> Era Changes:
- Growth Percent had previously dropped below 100% in the Renaissance, and went down to 60% for Nuclear and 40% for Transcendence. Now, it&#8217;s 90% in the Nuclear, going down to 70% for Transcendence.
- BuildingMaintenancePercent previously was 75% in Renaissance, scaling down to 30%. It is now 100% in all eras; if you build it, pay for it. The problem is that the premade buildings cost money, too, and this can bankrupt you if you&#8217;re not careful, so I&#8217;ve increased the amount of gold you start with at the middle eras.
- TrainPercent, ConstructPercent, and CreatePercent previously went to 25-30% by the Modern Era. Now, I want them to be taper much slower, basically following the BuildPercent scaling.
- Most eras now start with +1 population in each city. The Medieval through Nuclear eras also start with an additional Worker unit.
> The starting years for each era were a bit out of whack because I misunderstood what the &#8220;StartPercent&#8221; value in the Eras file meant.
> Increased the Gold maintenance cost of most of the new buildings by 1-2.
> The Network Backbone and Nethack Terminus have switched places on the tech tree; the Network Backbone is now at Digital Sentience, while the Nethack Terminus is at Optical Computers. (This is because the Nethack&#8217;s effect is going to be needed in the earlier eras.)
> The Nethack Terminus is now a National Wonder instead of a World Wonder. (Its upcoming effect was a bit too weak to justify the 1-per-world status.)
> (Crazy Spatz) The yields of science-related buildings was decreased; the Library (and Paper Maker) gives +1 science per three population (instead of per 2), the University (and Wat) adds only 30% science (down from 50%), the Observatory 20% (down from 50%), and the Public School 40% (down from 50%). However, these buildings now add a small amount of culture: 1 for the University and Public School, 3 for the Observatory.
> (Crazy Spatz) The Watermill was changed from a flat +2 food to a +10% increase. The Floating Gardens was unchanged, since it added +15% already.
> (Crazy Spatz) The Temple was changed from +3 culture to +1 happiness, +1 culture. The Burial Tomb stayed 2/2, the Mud Pyramid Mosque went from 5 culture to 3 culture, 1 happiness.
> (Crazy Spatz) The Colosseum was changed from +4 happiness to +3 happiness, +1 culture.
> (Crazy Spatz) The base City Growth Exponent was increased from 2.0 to 2.2 (default is 1.8). Compared to the previous version, this means cities take ~50% more food to grow at size 20, or twice the previous food at size 40.
> (Crazy Spatz) Library and Temple buildings (and their UBs) only get 1 specialist slot instead of 2. (Except the Burial Tomb, which stays at 0.)
> (Crazy Spatz) Because it&#8217;s now easier to get Happiness early, I&#8217;ve put the base city unhappiness back up to 4/8 (from 3/6, with 2/5 being the default).
> Centauri Preserve now also gives +2 gold per Oasis worked by this city.
> Added the sound definitions for the new units. No new actual sounds, but they won&#8217;t be so silent any more when you select them.
> Fixed a bunch of Civilopedia entries so that they no longer refer to the spaceship as winning the Science Victory.
> Unit flags now have various symbols vaguely related to the unit&#8217;s type. These will be replaced with custom images at a later date.
> If you lack the technology prerequisite for a Policy, the tooltip will say &#8220;Requires the XXX Technology&#8221; instead of the default &#8220;missing prerequisite Policies&#8221; message.
> The &#8220;gain a tech if X civs have it&#8221; ability of the Planetary Datalinks and Telepathic Matrix now works, so the TM now only gives one Great Empath. Note that this ability cannot be used to give a Disabled tech, such as Centauri Ecology, so you can&#8217;t get around building a spaceship.
> The &#8220;all other civs gain unhappiness&#8221; ability of the Dream Twister now works, so I&#8217;m reducing its other benefit to a single Great Artist. I still want it to cause a turn of anarchy when built, though, but until that&#8217;s done I&#8217;m setting the unhappiness to &#8211;10. Eventually I want it to be something like 3 turns of anarchy and &#8211;5.
> The Sydney Opera House, Pentagon, and Eiffel Tower are no longer available for starts in the Transcendence Era, and the Eiffel is not available for Nanotech starts.
> The Flavor ratings for the Sydney Opera House, Cristo Redentor, and United Nations were changed from 70/30 to 30/30 so that the AI wouldn&#8217;t emphasize them so much.
> The Former gains the &#8220;Deploy Fishing Boats&#8221; and &#8220;Deploy Offshore Platform&#8221; Build actions, which are identical to the Work Boat options except that they don&#8217;t destroy the unit. It can&#8217;t actually DO anything with these yet, though.
> Forts get +1 gold at Computers.

The GP-created improvements were the only ones missing a tech-related boost, and they&#8217;re so specialized that they should get the LARGEST boosts, so now they all get a 50% one in the late Industrial/early Nuclear era, and then again in the early Nanotech.
> Citadels get +2 gold at Electronics and +2 production at Nanominiaturization.
> Landmarks get +2 gold at Mass Media and +2 research at Biomachinery.
> Academies get +2 research at Atomic Theory and another +2 at Quantum Power.
> Customs Houses get +2 gold at Flight and another +2 at Matter Transmission.
> Manufactories get +2 production at Plastics and another +2 at Nanometallurgy.
> Monoliths get +2 gold at Centauri Psi (the first +50% increase is already included, since you can't get these until the Digital Era).

Top Bottom