Conquests: Age of Discovery strategy/tip thread

thetrooper said:
dgfred, you are a warmongering lurker!

Why thank you Sir! ;) . You are the one putting up the great lurking
material :coffee: . :hatsoff: to you!

Thanks! Any success in this scenario yet? I am inspired to try again as Maya/Inca/Aztec, thanks to SuperDuck. Let us show them pesky europeans :D

socralynnek said:
I won this scenario by the following strategy:

I took Portugal and build some cities on the carribean islands.
After that I let the Spanish take my european cities, so my capital moved to the carribean.
There I could easily produce 1 treasure every 2 turns which could be brought to my capital almost instantly.

I was stupid enough to do the opposite - played with France and conquered Spain and Portugal. GREAT I thought! A few turns later Portugal won! :mad:
I guess you know why...

I have passed this game on Regent with many civs, but I recently played as the Dutch on Monarch, and got my butt kicked.

I probably could have won, but I wanted to do it by building a North American powerhouse. I had a very productive Canadian/American nation with a centrally located Colonial Capital, that ended up being my main production site. I was poised to conquer everyone (I was sick of doing the whole treasure deal. Too tedious), when the Portugese won by points. They had all of Africa.

Anyways, my point is that there are a million ways to play this scenario, and all of them fun.

Hi, Just getting acquainted with AOD...have gotten some good feedback from thetrooper. Has anyone else played Spain?
My initial thoughts on looking at this scenario...that it might be in Spain's best interest to try to establish some MPP with Portugal and France.
Then head for the Carribean and NA East Coast simultaneous...
But I wonder if its maybe better to go Carribean then Mexico???
Appreciate thoughts and comments.

Sully

I haven't played as Spain myself but I would imagine they provide a very good game. Starting with a Navigation School means faster ships and the Conquistadors are the best explorers in the game. Certainly ally with Portugal and France early to leave you free to colonize the new world in peace. Nth America can be very competitive with the Iroquois expanding and the English and Dutch building there too. If you do land there first it would be a while before you could look elsewhere. If you start with the Carribean however you shouid have a free hand for a while and can then expand into the adjacent Sth American territory which also has a lot of resources.

Which nation would you think has the best chance of winning in a PBEM?

I would clearly say Spain is the one with the most chances and The Netherlands the one with least chance to make it.

Do you guys agree or not really?

Perhaps Spain does in a game as is against the AI. But in our current game where everyone started with a Man of War and they were placed initially out in the ocean...Spain actually is worse off. Doing that negates to a degree the effects of the Navigation School first off. And secondly..Spain moves last so all the other Civs are out front move wise.

So the way our PBEM is set up...I suspect that Portugal has the advantage due to its starting locations farther away from the European mainland. Thus able to exploit Africa early on plus take advantage of scouting using the Man of War.
And considering it starts also with the Navigation School plus a GA!!!

Frankly..I think Spain with wallow next to last for most of the game.

Sully

I probably could have won, but I wanted to do it by building a North American powerhouse. I had a very productive Canadian/American nation with a centrally located Colonial Capital, that ended up being my main production site. I could not conquer everyone. the Portugese had all of Africa.

Please see my screenshots. I played on Deity.

Attachments

• Histograph Scenario End.jpg
    Histograph Scenario End.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 115
  • Year 1632 Turn 142 Finish.jpg
    Year 1632 Turn 142 Finish.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Victory Status Screen.jpg
    Victory Status Screen.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 122
Nice work! :goodjob:

Did you beat England to N.America? Or just blast them out? :scan:

Did you slaughter Iroquois early or let them grow and then slaughter them?

What parts of the scenario did you like, and dislike?

I personally like to be the aztecs, and just try to kill anybody who settles, occasionally forming alliances (mainly with my fellows natives) i find on the tougher difficulties you get crushed pretty hard

One 'native' tribe can't fight all the europeans settling in the New World.
I tried to change this scenario so all 'indian' tribes are one. So you have a bit more power to fight the Europeans.
This could be a fun scenario as a 'reverse' discovery - where the indians travel to the 'old world' and colonize Europe. :)

Top Bottom