Inquisition

Last night I completed coding for both the AI and the exploit fixes. Initial testing is promising. The AI fix is available: See post 16 on the following link:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7161359#post7161359

You would make these function changes in the cvGameUtils.py file within Orion's Inquisition Mod. That's all you have to do to get limited religions, but it still does not stop the expliot.

The AI will found a religion as it is expected to do. In a small game, with only 3 or 4 CIVs, religion founding will appear to be a little slow, but it actually isn't. The AI will found a religion right on time, just not as many religions will be founded in the game.

As I said, the exploit fix is being tested and will guarantee a level playing field for all Civs.

Orion Veteran :cool:

excellent!!...ive integrated those snippets into my expanded plus mod, im testing right now. i expect the code will be flawless :)

Orion's Inquisition Mod ver 1.00 is now released:

Get it Here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10325

1. Limited Religions: Only one Holy City is allowed to be founded per Civ.
2. AI now founds a religion right on time.
3. Tech Theology ignores the limitation where only the "first civ to discover the tech founds a religion". Theology now allows a player to found one of the remaining religions if the player does not already own a holy city; even if the player is not the first to discover Theology.
4. This version eliminates the religious tech exploit and guarantees a level playing field for all Civs.

Have fun!

Orion's Inquisition Mod ver 1.00 is now released:

1. Limited Religions: Only one Holy City is allowed to be founded per Civ.
2. AI now founds a religion right on time.
3. Tech Theology ignores the limitation where only the "first civ to discover the tech founds a religion". Theology now allows a player to found one of the remaining religions if the player does not already own a holy city; even if the player is not the first to discover Theology.
4. This version eliminates the religious tech exploit and guarantees a level playing field for all Civs.

Have fun!

Awesome! I can't wait to play this version. :goodjob:

One interesting thing to note on the original inquisition mod. In the unmodded version of the game, the tech bitmaps in the research bar at the top of the screen would show a religion symbol in the lower corner of the enabling tech if the religion was not founded yet. For example, the tech bitmap for monothesism would show the star of david in the lower right corner if no one had founded it yet. After the religion is founded, the tech bitmap changes and the symbol is removed.

After the inquisition mod, there is never any indicator on the tech bitmap.

Its a small bug, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it!

Hey everyone, I am trying to add an Inquisitor unit to the Varietas Delectat MOD. We are going to use it for Diplogames (a lot of you probably don't know what that is, but it is irrelevant to this) which never have AI civilizations so as far as the AI goes it isn't important. I just want to know how difficult it will be to merge this with VD. I don't really know much about modding so I would need to know what to do. Also if you can use the Inquisitor on another civ is there a way to set it up so that you can't take out their Holy City? I don't think we are going to want that option because someone might get really upset and quit the game, I know that sounds lame, but it has happened over lesser incidents before. Any help you can give me would be great in this regard. Thank you. BTW, I JUST want to add the unit and abilities, that's all.

Hey everyone, I am trying to add an Inquisitor unit to the Varietas Delectat MOD. I don't really know much about modding so I would need to know what to do.

I suggest getting a copy of WinMerge, which simplifies the file merging process.

Also if you can use the Inquisitor on another civ is there a way to set it up so that you can't take out their Holy City? I don't think we are going to want that option because someone might get really upset and quit the game, I know that sounds lame, but it has happened over lesser incidents before.

The capability to conduct foreign inquisitions does not yet exist in this version. Yet if it did, you are absolutely right, the inquisitor should not be allowed take out the official state religion and Holy City belonging to another Civ, as that would be an act of war, not an inquisition. I'll explain.

The design must include two prerequisites for conducting foreign inquisitions:

1. You must have an Open Borders Agreement:
2. The state religion of the foreign civ must match your state religion.

Why? ...Because an inquisition is an “internal” state issue. Therefore, inquisitors can only perform under “state” sanction. I define a state, as your civilization or any other civilization that has an “open borders agreement" and has the “same state religion” as yours. Since your state religion is also the state religion for your ally, your inquisitors can operate freely with the “permission of the state” to carry out their religious “purification” duties in allied territory.

With that in mind, it is obvious you can't cross the border of a hostile country and try to execute an inquisition, where your religion has no influence (i.e. the state religion does not match yours). Just think how hard it would be to convert several Islamic cities in Iran to another religion, like Christianity or Judaism. The removal of a foreign civ's existing offical state religion, would be an act of war against that civilization! The comment would likely be, “How dare you come into our city and kill the people of our faith and destroy our holy buildings!” So you see, in that case, the inquisitor is not acting under “state” sanction, rather he would be operating more like a saboteur, which is not the roll of an inquisitor, but a spy or a terrorist. The spy can cross the border of a hostile civ, without an open borders agreement: The inquisitor can't.

Now you understand why the two prerequisites for conducting foreign inquisitions are so important. You can be sure both prerequisites will be enforced, when I finally attempt to add this capability to the Mod.

Very Respectfully,

Alright, I am interested in using this then. But how exactly would I go about using this WinMerge/where do I get it. Also what prereqs do you have for creating the Inquisitor unit? Such as Tech, Civics, buildings etc. And Speaking of buildings does it take out the buildings too?

Alright, I am interested in using this then. But how exactly would I go about using this WinMerge/where do I get it.

Get WinMerge at http://winmerge.org

Also what prereqs do you have for creating the Inquisitor unit? Such as Tech, Civics, buildings etc. ?

1. The inquisitor becomes available at tech Theology.
2. The inquisitor is not available to religious civics, Pacifism and Free Religion
3. Right now there is no prerequisite building, but I am considering a city must have a temple to build an inquisitor.

And Speaking of buildings does it take out the buildings too?

Yes. History shows the persoanl property of a condemned person was confiscated and places of worship were destroyed; based on medieval and feudal laws. Usually the confiscated property was divided three ways: by the Inquisition members, the church officials, and the state treasury. The Church and state kept strict accounts of the prisoner's incarceration, trial and execution costs. If the value of his confiscated property was not enough to cover these costs, then his heirs had to pay the difference. Records show many women and children were left penniless from such confiscation.

Therefore, the inquisitor should remove all non-state religious buildings in addition to the non-state religions. Why? Becuase you can hardly have a successful inquisition if non-state religious buildings remain in a city, where "infadels" continue to practice their heresy. In game terms, religious unity can only be achieved when all cities have been purged from the evil influence of non-state religions and the destruction of their places of false worship. The destruction of existing non-state religious buildings and the confiscation of personal property is necessary for religious unity.

Since history provides a basis for this concept, I might consider adding a small amount of gold to the treasury to compensate for costs of conducting an inquisition.

V/R,

You should probably add a pillage value to using it then.

1. The inquisitor becomes available at tech Theology.
2. The inquisitor is not available to religious civics, Pacifism and Free Religion
3. Right now there is no prerequisite building, but I am considering a city must have a temple to build an inquisitor.

But does this mean that the mod isn't finished yet? And when you say the Inquisitor is not available to religious civics what do you mean exactly? You CAN'T build it in Organized religion or Theocracy? Doesn't that seem strange or was this a typo?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to make this mod for a group of people to use for our Diplogames. And we are trying to put in a good Inquisitor that will allow us to purge religions because it will add more religious competition to our games. Since all of the players are human (there is no AI) we aren't concerned with whether or not the unit would be used properly by the AI, or even how it effects balance. So that isn't important, we are going for relative accuracy really. So because of this we don't want to limit creating religions, but we do want the unit in the game. We are using the Varietas Delectat Mod (due to the unique units and cities) as our base, so I would have to plug it into that. Based on your post it seems this isn't finalized yet? If that's the case we could wait until it is finished completely (and compatible with patch 3.17 hopefully).

Also we play Pitboss, so if you were interested in trying out a Diplogame with us, using your mod, you'd be welcome to do that too. We usually try and make it through the game without killing eachother off, actually always, so its kinda fun if you like that style of playing.

You should probably add a pillage value to using it then. ?.

Interesting idea.

But does this mean that the mod isn't finished yet? And when you say the Inquisitor is not available to religious civics what do you mean exactly? You CAN'T build it in Organized religion or Theocracy? Doesn't that seem strange or was this a typo?.

Not a typo. Read again. Organized Religion and Theocracy Civics can build inquisitors.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to make this mod for a group of people to use for our Diplogames. And we are trying to put in a good Inquisitor that will allow us to purge religions because it will add more religious competition to our games. Since all of the players are human (there is no AI) we aren't concerned with whether or not the unit would be used properly by the AI, or even how it effects balance. So that isn't important, we are going for relative accuracy really. So because of this we don't want to limit creating religions, but we do want the unit in the game. We are using the Varietas Delectat Mod (due to the unique units and cities) as our base, so I would have to plug it into that. Based on your post it seems this isn't finalized yet? If that's the case we could wait until it is finished completely (and compatible with patch 3.17 hopefully).

The current version is BTS 3.17 compatible. I have been working on one change at a time over the course of many months. ...Not much left to add as this mod plays well as it is now.

From our conversation, I have 4 possible improvements:

1. Foreign inquisitions
2. Adding a prerequisite building for the inquisitor - The temple (easily done).
3. Adding gold to compensate for the cost of conducting an inquisition.
4. Make an option for limited religions.

My tasking is heavy and my time short. But I will try to add each of these capabilities over the next few months. Don't let that stop you from using the mod now, as using a mod is like buying software: There is always something better that is released latter.

V/R,

Well we don't want to limit the religions at all, but we just want the unit and its capabilities in our mod. In order to do that I still need Winmerge? And once I get Winmerge what files do I combine if I just want the unit and its capabilities and prereqs and everything just not the religion limits.

Well we don't want to limit the religions at all, but we just want the unit and its capabilities in our mod. In order to do that I still need Winmerge? And once I get Winmerge what files do I combine if I just want the unit and its capabilities and prereqs and everything just not the religion limits.

OK here is the Inquisition Mod without Limited Religions:

Just use WinMerge to compare matching files that are in both mods.

Attachments

• Inquisition.zip
    162.1 KB · Views: 98
There seems to be no interface when I load the mod, and by that I mean action buttons, minimap, contact/civ score names, ANYTHING. Is this going to be a problem if I merge it and are you aware of this bug?

The MOD I am trying to integrate the Inquisitor into does not have these problems, so is there a way to put in the unit (as it exists in this mod) without screwing up the base mod?

Orion's Inquisition version 101 is now released:

Play the mod the way you want to play it. This version gives the player an option to include limited religions or not. The option is set in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file.

To play with limited religions: Set value to 1
To play without limited religions: Set value to 0

From now on, there will be only one version of this mod, as this release eliminates the need for two versions.

V/R,

Top Bottom