Quick Questions and Answers

So, you're saying there is a finite limit on available iron?

When you produce a unit which requires Iron (eg. Catapult, Swordsman) it uses up one unit of Iron. This produces a limit on how many resource-dependent units you can produce.

I like it as well, but they need to make all iroon the same amount. My current game, while attacking Liz, a barb killed my mine and my units died in battle. They can't take a hit at all, and don't do much damage either.

Last game I started on a small island with 3 neighbors. I had one iron value 2, while my 3 warring neighbors all had 1 iron each and all value 6. needless to say I got whooped.

Though keep in mind that the Strategic Resource is considered unused when the previously using unit is killed/deleted. So if you have 3 Iron, Make 1 Swordsman and then have 2 Iron. Once that Swordsman is removed from your control, you will return to 3 Iron. Resources in Civ 5 are not like most games, where you gather more over time by mining. In Civ 5 when you build a Mine on a resource you immediately gain control of that particular quantity of the resource.

Is there any way to group embarked units together to make it more convenient to move them? I am trying to move 5 embarked units, protected by 2 Caravels to another continent. Every turn I have to move all seven units individually.

Yes, they show up in my current game.

also, sorry for you loss. You may want to update your sig. better luck next year.

Sorry if this question has already been asked but ...

how do you change city names? Like, actual change the program so the generic capital of China isn't 'Beijing', but rather 'Peking'?

How do you 'save up' policies? It seems that I cant go to the next turn unless I choose a policy.

I know the answer to this has been given, but I do want to caution anyone trying this that if you skip picking a policy and then settle a new city, the cost of that policy will increase. Therefore, I don't really see an advantage to not picking a policy unless you are torn between multiple choices and can figure out your decision rather quickly (i.e. before getting more cities). I know that's more of a strategy thing than a Q&A, but it was something I did not consider when I waited and ended up "paying" more in culture for the policy than I would have had I realized it.

Originally Posted by budweiser
How do you 'save up' policies? It seems that I cant go to the next turn unless I choose a policy.
you can right click on the notification.
I know the answer to this has been given, but I do want to caution anyone trying this that if you skip picking a policy and then settle a new city, the cost of that policy will increase. Therefore, I don't really see an advantage to not picking a policy unless you are torn between multiple choices and can figure out your decision rather quickly (i.e. before getting more cities). I know that's more of a strategy thing than a Q&A, but it was something I did not consider when I waited and ended up "paying" more in culture for the policy than I would have had I realized it.

Remember you might wana save for a couple of turn because you are not at the required era for a policy selection.

Not all of them are gone, some are accessible through the .ini files.

At least I was able to disabl auto tile upgrade overwrite and also disable combat animation permanently. It was in the documents > my games > civ 5 > .ini file, the exact path will depend on your operating system.

I could find the auto worker not replacing thing but not disabling combat animations in my ini file. Please help

Can you move one tile and then still heal that turn, or do you need your full move? Couldn't find the answer.

Can you move one tile and then still heal that turn, or do you need your full move? Couldn't find the answer.

In my test, the game gives you the option to move and still fortify until healed, but you do not heal during that turn.

Does my civilization get the benefits from Wonders in a puppet city?

Yes, they show up in my current game.

When you say show up, what do you mean? I can't find a screen that shows who has built what wonder and I can't look in the city when I click on the city bar. I get the option to annex.

Okay, I searched for threads asking this question, and searched within this thread for the question and couldnl't find it, so if it's been asked a hundred time, I apologize, but apparently I fail at search.

Is there a way to get resources outside of one's territory, and if so, how? I hate the prospect of having to place a crap city somewhere just because a resource was 4 or 5 hexes away from my borders instead of 3.

Alternately, if there is not, are there ways to extend your territory out more than 3 tiles from a city without waiting a few thousand years or dropping ungodly amounts of gold?

Adding to my previous question... (as I slog through all 18 pages while I wait for answers)

* Is there a way to collect a resource not on one's cultural bounds like in Civ3 (I think it was Civ3)?

* Why am I able to get workers and settlers to move across water, and not military units? What tech or unit is needed?

* What do roads do this time around? I know they "create a trade route" but that doesn't tell me anything. Should I hook up my resources via roads? If so, why? Because I already have access to any resource I've improved. Does it allow me to then trade that resource out?

* What is a trade route in this version of Civ? Rather, what benefits does it give, how is it selected/created? Does it assign automatically like in Civ4 or can you choose who you want to TR with?

* How do you trade resources with another Civ? Is that what the roads/TRs are for? Is there a water-based bldg that will allow for these to happen without roads?

hi. you cant utilise resources outside your territory. after a cities territory expands 3 hexes every direction it will then expand further, but you cant choose which tiles it occupies. you can however make a culture bomb with a great artist. you must activate the bomb inside your territory and then you will gain 1 tile in each direction. i find that resources are easily traded for, or you can buy influence with a city state who will then give you their resources. otherwise its actually really easy to expand so i see no reason why you dont just build a settler and found another city.

Regarding moving across water land units require the Embarkment promotion that is unlocked with Optics. Upon your discovery of Optics all of your units within your or your friends territory will gain the Embarkment promotion. Units that are in neutral and enemy territory must either return to friendly territory or use their xp points gained via combat to promote themselves.

Roads only improve movement between tiles and create trade routes. Roads cost 1g per tile, but a roaded trade route between two cities often produces more gold than it costs to maintain. The larger the city the greater the revenue for trade routes. Only internal roaded trade routes work, however sometimes city states will ask you to build roads for them. Trade routes must incorporate your capital city for them to be functional.

Foreign resource trading only requires you to enter the diplomacy screen, the options are all there, no other requirements. hf

Thank you very much for the answers. In point of clarification then, I should really only build roads between the capital and my other cities? (All roads lead to Rome sorta thing?) If I have my cities laid out like this, with roads, with C being the capital, and the rest being annexed or built cities, and - being roads...

C--a
| |
b d

Does that mean the Capital will create a trade route with a & b, but not d? If it does create a trade route with d, would it be worth more or less than something like...

C--a
| \
b d

I hope this looks right. Basically, would a chain from C to a to d create a more profitable trade route, or is the most profitable one C to d directly. For the sake of argument, assume a road from a-d uses less road than a road from C to d.

Will a traderoute be connected to all 3 of those cities? If not, which ones will get left out?

Another question, if I have a landlocked capital (C), connected to a coastal city (x), and then another coastal city (y) on another island, where it is in turn connected via road to another landlocked city (z)...

Side note, do the roads have to reach all the way to the city tile itself, or just from cultural border to cultural border?

If two of my cities are connected via cultural bounds, is a road still needed to create a trade route between them?

Is there a limit to the number of TRs that can be created? Is the capital infinite vs. the satellite cities which can only have 1 (to the capital)?

Sorry for all the questions. I really have no idea how Civ5 trade routes work, how they are chosen, set up with other nations, etc. There's very little explanation of them to be found.

both of your diagrams work. If C is your capital, yet only A and B are connected by road I believe that wont create a trade route. If the connection to your capital is distant, indirect, with harbours etc I believe it will work.

build only one road if possible.

a-b-c-d

not

a-c
b-c
d-c

each road tile cost money. less roads = more gold profit.

@thelibra: Trade routes is just a meaning that a city is connected to your capital. If it is connected, it will generate 1.25 gold per population point per turn (size 1 city is 1 gold after truncating, size 4 city is 5 gold, size 12 is 15 gold and so on).

For the actual connection: The city has to connect to the capital eventually. If you can follow a road from a city to your capital without a break, it is connected. With this, keep in mind other cities count as a road. So C---a---b connects a and b. If the road is broken at some point, meaning another civ's cultural boundries take over a hex with the road the route will be broken. This can be fixed by being friends or allies in the case of city-states, or in the case of other full Civ's an open border agreement.

Also, to connect other islands, you capital must either have a harbor itself, or have a trade route with a city that has a harbor. Then a city on the other island needs a harbor, and acts as a way point for the island. So C--a =====b ---c where C is captial and --- is road === is water. For c to be connected, a and b need harbors, and a road (or more harbors) need to connect C and a, b and c.

Currently all my units show as single unit graphics. is it possible to turn them in to multiple units graphics. Like instead of 1 warrior showing, it shows three in one unit.

Top Bottom