Civ 4 Mac - Graphics troubleshooting

superhall

Chieftain
Hello,

New member here. I have been playing Civilization 4 on my Mac for a couple of years, and have never had any problems like this before. I've downloaded all of the latest patches, have no mods running, have my graphics turned down to their lowest possible setting, and have tried re-installing the game. What could be causing these major glitches? (See below)

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Always the first question when something has worked and then stops - When did it stop working, and had you recently changed anything?

Are *all* your graphics settings at minimum? Specifically, have you set Anti-aliasing samples to 0?

What hardware and OS are you running, and is it the same as it was when it used to work?

Are you still playing the same size games (map size and number of civs) as you were before it went wrong?

For more details, see the attached screen shot. Additionally, I m wondering if there is any connection to QuickTime 10? I would really appreciate any help somebody might be able to offer. FYI, I run a MacBook 2, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 1 GB 667 MHz. According to the activity monitor, I have 26 GB opne on my harddrive.

/Users/wolfgangdepner/Desktop/Bildschirmfoto 2010-09-27 um 2.35.50 PM.png

Sorry, here is the screenshot.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2010-09-27 um 2.35.50 PM.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2010-09-27 um 2.35.50 PM.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,051
Sorry, here is the screenshot.

What version of Civ4 are you running? Those trees look suspiciously as if they are half-buried, and that was a bug in the very first release by Aspyr. Make sure you have updated it using the version 1.74 updater on Aspyr's support web site.

Hi Alan,

I am running Vanilla. I just downloaded v.174, opened it off my desktop, installed it, then rebooted the program...same problem.

Additionally, this is what is when click on the Civ IV folder in my applications folder. The civ iv folder looks fine in my document folder.

On a related note, are there any special steps, which I need to take, after I have downloaded the 1.74?

Thank you.

Additionally, this is what is when click on the Civ IV folder in my applications folder. The civ iv folder looks fine in my document folder.
Sorry, I'm not sure what this means.

Did you actually *install* the 1.74 update? You have to copy the installer to your desktop from the disk image, then double click It will try to find your copy of Civ4. Sometimes it fails to find it, and you have to tell it where it is.

Check the Get Info on your Civ4 application. It should say the version is 1.74.

Sorry, I'm not sure what this means.

Did you actually *install* the 1.74 update? You have to copy the installer to your desktop from the disk image, then double click It will try to find your copy of Civ4. Sometimes it fails to find it, and you have to tell it where it is.

Check the Get Info on your Civ4 application. It should say the version is 1.74.

Hi,

I have checked. See screen cap below. Also, I have attached a screen cap of my screwy leaderhead. This is frustrating...is there any way to replace the leaderheads? Thank you again for your help.

I fixed your image tags.

Yes, it looks as if your Civ4 is up to date. It also looks as if you have a problem with your video card or its driver. What OS X software do you have? What graphics hardware? There shouldn't be a problem with Quicktime 10 - it's standard now, and we would have heard if there was a general problem.

The Intel GMA 950 is an "integrated" graphics chip. It shares its memory with the main CPU, and has minimal hardware support for 3D graphics. It was never considered adequate to cope with Civ4.

Minimum video specs from Aspyr's site:

Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher

Sorry, but I suspect you are stuck with those problems until you get a more capable system.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your note and help. I anticipated as much. Strangely, this problem only appeared recently after I had switched to Leopard.

Cheers,

Wolf

Maybe the recent video drivers are less friendly to Civ4. You do seem to have the most recent patch of SnowLeopard, which included some graphics improvements identified by Steam if I recall correctly. It doesn't sound as if they did your hardware any good :(

I have just updated to Civ IV BTS, and noted screwy graphics in the leaderhead animations - like the leaders head being missing (but hair is there!) or the teeth being outside the face, or them being behind the background graphic???

MacBook Pro 2.66GHz - latest OSX 10.6, upgraded BTS to the latest from Aspyr, still a problem?
Any ideas?

Top Bottom