A Vision of Erebus 1.0

Gloric Ulvin

Chieftain
My friends and I have been working on a map for quite some time to have our epic Erebus wars upon. It is loosely based on civiliopedia readings and our understanding of the world of Erebus. Granted, none of us are Magister, we all make our way through the lore.

There are two separate files. One has our goofy naming (with tags) system in place, the other (no tags) is blank just in case it annoys you.

Hopefully y'all enjoy it as much as we have.

Please leave any suggestions, criticism, and feedback!

We usually play multiplayer games on this map or Erebus Continent script every Friday so let me know if you're interested

Contains:
All Erebus civs except Luchuirp, Kuriotates, Elohim, and Grigori. (Our computers can't handle them all.)
A few adventure lands like the screenshot posted of "Jotunheim."
Semi-realistic climate action (it's a fantasy world)

Things I need to fix:
  • I can't get portals workings to save my life, so Odio's prison is kind of dead as of now.
  • We're trying to give each civilization a starting "hero." You'll notice the Illian's terrible start with only one city is countered by having a weaker version of the Aquilan. Ideally every civilization will get one starting unique unit to spice up the early game. I traditionally play with the Illians so not using the Aquilan aggressively is a bit of a gentleman's rule.
  • I'm not happy with the ice all along the north. I want Letum Frigus to be "polar north," and have everything radiate out from there. I'll fix it it when I get the urge. [FINISHED]
  • If there is interest I can release a version with a random start, just let me know.

In the second tagged map, the names of locations are partially lore based, partially the musings of the adventure of my Civ group. It's basically our call sign for the locations. Nerdy, I know, but it's how we make do with 10 people playing. Much of it is inside jokes but I'd be happy to share any reasonings or logic behind some of the placements.

V1 - 11 DLs Yay!

*1.1 Changelog*
Spoiler :
  • Removed ice except for NW Corner, Letum Frigus is now polar north for the map as originally planned.
  • Replaced some inland seas with mountains to increase size of continent. Also gives more mountain passes for more strategic play.
  • More guardians around the map for more flavor.
  • Fixed some rivers that didn't look too great

Attachments

• illian start locations.jpg
    illian start locations.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 900
  • great forest.jpg
    great forest.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 873
  • jotunheim.jpg
    jotunheim.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • New Erebus - No Tags.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    636.2 KB · Views: 231
  • New Erebus.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    641 KB · Views: 347
I really love this. In fact, I love all the community Erebus maps. I'm trying to work on my own using portals to represent the Pristinus Pass element from the scenario, and I too have issues. First-world scripting problems.

As for basing your map on the lore, there is a point when artistic licence just has to take over. Starting heroes was something I enjoyed in Medicine Man's empire version of Nikis Knight's huge Erebus map. To me it adds a nice dynamic: unique heroes with unique promotions (as far as regular FFH is concerned).

I admire the choke-point barbarians. Brilliant touch. I can't be the guy who says 'I thought of that too', it makes me sound arrogant, but whatever, I love the idea. ;)

I will say that it could use a few more dungeons and lairs. The ancient towers have obviously been placed to maximise the sight bonus, but the occasional barrow or den would help break up the rolling grasslands. Though, it really depends on what you're going for.

What mod is this based on?

Also: Presuming you are using one of the upgraded versions of worldbuilder that Magister patched in, portals *can* be made to work. The issue is, however, that the information for where each one leads is not stored in the WB file, but in the save file. So if you add the dimensions in WB and then leave to play a single player game, that can work, but it cant be saved into the WB file which is necessary to make it work in multiplayer.

What mod is this based on?
It appears to be based on an older version my my modmod, since Mushrooms and Penguins are bonus types instead of improvement types.

Capital cities also have buildings like BUILDINGCLASS_FREE_MANA_STATE_RELIGION_LEAVES instead of BUILDING_FREE_MANA_STATE_RELIGION_LEAVES, a naming convention correction which I made in the August 21 release.

(While updating this file to make it compatible with my current version for testing, I realized that my modmod was still using the BUILDINGCLASS_LOST_MANA_STATE_RELIGION_LEAVES instead of BUILDING_LOST_MANA_STATE_RELIGION_LEAVES naming convention. Oops.)

Also: Presuming you are using one of the upgraded versions of worldbuilder that Magister patched in, portals *can* be made to work. The issue is, however, that the information for where each one leads is not stored in the WB file, but in the save file. So if you add the dimensions in WB and then leave to play a single player game, that can work, but it cant be saved into the WB file which is necessary to make it work in multiplayer.

That used to be true, but not anymore!

Portal exit coordinates can easily be included in WorldBuilder saves using recent versions of MagisterModmod, or my WorldBuilder updates for MNAI.

Tholal has not incorporated these changes into an official release yet, but in the Feature Reuest & Discussion thread you can find updated versions of WorldBuilder which can be copied over the standard MNAI files and incorporate new features..

The feature you want has been in place since WorldBuilder 4.1b for MNAI v 2.53, released back on June 8th. The latest version is WorldBuilder 4.06d for MNAI v 2.53, released on August 24th. There is no good reason to stick with an older version.

With WorldBuilder updated, all you need to do to connect the two sides of the portals in this WBSave is this;
Code:
BeginPlot
	x=1,y=7
	ImprovementType=IMPROVEMENT_PORTAL
	TerrainType=TERRAIN_BROKEN_LANDS
	PlotType=2
	[COLOR="Red"]PortalExitX=103
	PortalExitY=0[/COLOR]
EndPlot

BeginPlot
	x=103,y=0
	ImprovementType=IMPROVEMENT_PORTAL
	TerrainType=TERRAIN_FIELDS_OF_PERDITION
	PlotType=2
	[COLOR="Red"]PortalExitX=1
	PortalExitY=7[/COLOR]
EndPlot

(Of course, if you don't want to edit the file in a text editor you could just set the coordinates in the Plot Data screen of WorldBuilder and then save.)

Oh noice. I was going off recent versions of MNAI's worldbuilder, tis true.

Pity I can't seem to patch any of your upgrades into EitB (I think the issue is the lack of BUG screwing things over, and manual edits screwed up somehow).

Top Bottom