paratroopers - can they attack after being dropped?

Greasy Dave

Prince
I used my first paratrooper in a game last night. Not sure why I haven't used them before. The para drop is pretty useful in the correct circumstances. But there's something I don't understand. I'd drop my trooper into the tile next to the AI unit. The trooper still had one movement point left. But he couldn't attack? Is this a bug? It seems kind of like reverse thinking if it's by design? The whole point of the paratrooper is to drop them in and fight, right?

Strangely, the same unit couldn't attack directly out of a city. The AI had a unit in a tile right next to my city. The paratrooper couldn't attack straight into the the AI tile. Instead he had to move to an empty tile next to the AI unit and then attack the AI? Again, is this a bug or design?

It's in the unit description that it can't attack until the following turn :sad: the best way to use them is to drop them next to a city you're shelling, ready to capture the next turn. Good for cities that are defended by hills and mountains.

It's in the unit description that it can't attack until the following turn :sad: the best way to use them is to drop them next to a city you're shelling, ready to capture the next turn. Good for cities that are defended by hills and mountains.

thanks, good tip. Though I thought they had to be dropped in friendly territory? Or have I misread the description again?

Use them to block roads for reinforcements of target cities you want to take

It's a nice way to get a medic unit to the front lines, as well. Particularly during a tricky siege in rough terrain.

I thought they had to be dropped in friendly territory? Or have I misread the description again?

They have to start in friendly territory... they can finish anywhere within 5 hexs (friendly or enemy). Then you have 1 move, which cannot be an attacking move.

They can't attack, but they can pillage. So you could drop them on enemy oil (for example) and destroy it, then go on the offensive next turn.

They can't attack, but they can pillage. So you could drop them on enemy oil (for example) and destroy it, then go on the offensive next turn.

good tip

Never thought about the pillage option.

I still barely use them or marines though. Marines in particular seem a bit pointless now that destroyers fill the role of attacking shore cities.

Top Bottom