Unique Unit Matchups (NOT an Elimination Thread!)

Biologist

Emperor
Curious to know if anybody has encountered any particularly cool or interesting matchups involving unique units or abilities. For example, in my current Zulu game, my Impi hordes are squaring off against Hiawatha's Mohawk Warriors. It's created an odd stalemate; I mop the floor with his troops if they come after me in the desert, but I can't make much headway in the forest against him. The end result so far is that we keep sending more troops to the forest border... I can't get in and he can't get out.

This was all instigated by the fact that he has just spammed his seventh city while I'm still at four. He's not even waiting for the ones he has to get past 1 population anymore.

Hmm.. well in my current game Denmark's Ski Infantry was an excellent match against Pachacuti's normally annoying hills. Not unit-vs-unit but with that free pillage I was able to destroy all his capital's mines and roads with an unsupported team of 4 infantry in two turns, haha

I think a good way to discuss UU match ups is to compare units that replaces the same base unit. E.g. ballista vs siege tower as both replaces the catapult. It would be a nice change from the UU elimination thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I don't remember any UU match ups I've had before, but I have used dido's african war elephant and crossed a mountain, it was cool. I was against composites/crossbows.
I did get to use longhouses with Hiawatha, however, with 6-7 tiles of lumber mill improvements and got to build a couple of wonders.
I've used Gajah Mada's spice islanders in a islands map and traded pepper, nutmeg and the other resource before.
I guess you mean if we've used anything unique from all the civilizations.

I once had the privilege to see Genghis and Harun square up, with the AI actually handling the Keshiks and Camel Archers fairly well. It was beautiful. Then Napoleon discovered gunpowder and it all went to hell

In one of my multiplayer games my Battering Rams and Horse Archers went up against Gandhi's War Elephants. It didn't last very long. Then I used the same units against Rome's Legionnaires. Keeping the rams out of harms way was a little tricky, but Augustus didn't really put up a fight. By the time I was ready to wave goodbye to Genghis he had Keshiks. For as good as they are under player control, he stationed them in the cities and tried to shoot the rams- not a good strategy. They might as well have been Composites.

I do remember one time, it wasn't a direct UU vs UU fight, but I ran a Celt game and had upgraded Pictish Warriors into Pike-tish Warriors into Pictish Lancers... then found my perfect stalemate in the form of some Berber Cavalry (their Homeland Bonus, Desert Warrior, and higher base combat strength vs my enemy territory, bonus v. mounted, free pillaging, and superior promotions from having the units since Ancient)

That was the first very truly evenly matched battle i came across.

I do remember one time, it wasn't a direct UU vs UU fight, but I ran a Celt game and had upgraded Pictish Warriors into Pike-tish Warriors into Pictish Lancers... then found my perfect stalemate in the form of some Berber Cavalry (their Homeland Bonus, Desert Warrior, and higher base combat strength vs my enemy territory, bonus v. mounted, free pillaging, and superior promotions from having the units since Ancient)

That was the first very truly evenly matched battle i came across.

That reminded me of one I got hit with back in G&K. I was playing the Celts and was mainly building pictish warriors to barb hunt for the FFK. Then Alex rushed me with hoplites. My Picts were no match in home territory and I lost a city while I scrambled to build comp bows. Once he took a city my foreign lands bonus kicked in and I was able to stand toe to toe with him. The free pillage gave me an edge when I moved into his lands. It was one of the more enjoyable early wars I've had.

Another good one was with the Picts too. I was invading the Inca and his slingers were giving me a terrible time. He couldn't really fight me off but I couldn't really advance because his city was behind a river and he had a ton of slingers on the other side. I couldn't do much until I got some comp bows up there.

Um, how do you win a battle when an army of Siege Towers are against an army of Batterring Rams in the middle of a forest halfway between the two empires? There were no other units close enough to help. 2 AIs did this and my scout watched the whole thing.

Um, how do you win a battle when an army of Siege Towers are against an army of Batterring Rams in the middle of a forest halfway between the two empires? There were no other units close enough to help. 2 AIs did this and my scout watched the whole thing.

They realize their common plight as the working man, and go conquer their home cities together.

I had the privilege of being in a war against France & Spain as the Ottomans at the beginning of the renaissance. It was a massive battle of Musketeers & Tericos on Janissaries & Sipahi. It was awesome. The Tericos were no match for my Jans, but I was making snails pace with my Sipahi. Likewise the musketeers tore through the Jans when attacking, but got flanked to hell by Sipahis. I eventually won but it was a tough match.

Top Bottom