Communitas AI mod

Callonia

Deity
Basically This thread is about Communitas AI mod by some dude named Thalassicus on steam workshop.

I was really bored of civ 5 at this point. So I was like sure, why not lets give this mod an try due to terrible military AI from firaxis.

Then I spawned on an tiny peninsula, thankfully I didn't have a vladmir Putin civ to worry about. Found out my neighbor is Alexander the Great. Okay, everything was nice and cool until I settled an 2nd city for citrus.

This ticked him off, I quickly had an barbarian axemen start scouting for inevitable hoplite spam. Then they started to show up, several turns later, 10+ units started to roam around greek borders so I quickly retreated my axemen cuz war is imminent..

Or that's what I thought, my territory was very thin, mountainous and coastal. Not enough space for them to effectively siege my cities in ancient era. After parading around my borders in impotent fury for inability to find a city to easily siege they gave up and returned home after 60+ turns.

Then well I was like I don't blame you either alexander.

Several turns later, they send a couple of trade routes to me. Requested embassies. And then bit later, open borders then I was like sure why not, for some reason being backstabbed was the furthest thing from my mind.

Then the backstab happened and surprisingly enough, they managed to position their units somewhat effectively then all my delusions about having invincible cities is gone.

It woke me out of my bored to death drone mode. xD

Spoiler :

That group of hoplites basically cut off all reinforcements from my capital for the rest of the war forcing me to produce sea units to reinforce the city of Sele instead.

Spoiler :

This city, I almost lost it.. It reached as low as 10 hp.
Surprisingly, I think AIs lost the fear of suiciding the units if it meant they could win and take the city. They almost succeeded. My inevitable flood of caravels and galeasses put a stop in their slow win with my land units delayed the hoplites.

Spoiler :

This group and their reinforcements kept Selenia from being able to reinforce Sele from overland.

It was the first fun war I had in months because it was decently challenging. I had to dance my units and greeks had to dance their units xD If I didn't respond correctly and fast enough I would've definitely lost Sele. And there was no save scumming done here.

Then alexander quickly saw taht he couldn't take sele anymore for time being due to reinforcements making their way over seas. He called for a ceasefire, paying me whales for 30 turns to get me to agree, and due to his surprising decent tactics against Sele, I decided to accept the ceasefire for 30 turns.

Then like five turns later, alexander went after Poland, that red land on minimap is their capital xD Although, for alexander.. I plan to go and smack him around and maybe grab his capital if I can after 30 turns is up from whales.

I only have 2 iron from trade with poland who immediately offered me 2 iron in exchange for pearls which I accepted in exact same turn when Alexander dow'd me. lol It almost felt like Poland saw me under attack by the Greeks and went uhm, better trade him some iron so he can hold out better for me.

After I grab an colony with two iron and use it to upgrade to frigates, i'm going after his Athens after the 30 turn luxury deal with alexander for ceasefire is up that is.

If I can bag his marble and whales, it'll permit me to expand overseas. Oh and my peninsula was jungle filled, I managed to chop it all in time for war. XD

I am so continuing this tomorrow!

Recently I downloaded the Communitas mod, mostly because I've always hated the pushover AI and I hated the way Firaxis handled the difficulty settings (giving the computer bonuses might make it harder on Emperor, but it doesn't necessarily improve the way the game plays!). I just got done playing my first game on it and I was blown away. I couldn't even play on my comfort level of king!

First of all, I get a great start with five sugars, some horses and iron, along with stone, but the hammer cost of workers went way up so I had to rely on the Liberty policy tree to provide that. I planned to expand anyway (playing as Carthage I can't resist getting an overseas empire), but I started off right next to Songhai. This didn't really worry me at first, because in the past I was able to hold him off with a handful of troops and bribes, but he decided to grow some balls this game and attack me. I repel his first wave, only to discover that his main force was with his navy just two squares into the fog of war. What came next was the best military experience I've ever had against the AI.

He lands his infantry using suppressive fire provided by his biremes. Next, his triremes weave in and out of the coast giving his troops a naval bonus then retreating out of the range of my archers. His soldiers steadily advancing toward my capital, I use what little funds I had to purchase a swordsman and a trireme to help my biremes combat his melee ships. It was a close one, but I eventually injured enough of his troops to the point they were forced to retreat under threat of death. It wasn't much of a victory, but it was definitely the most fun I've ever had in a Civ game since Civ IV!

I used to use this mod back on vanilla. I should probably try it out again some time.

And btw, Callonia, definitely continue this. :popcorn:

I played on despite battling an sickness all day long, calmly building cities and plotting behind AI's backs has helped me pass the day away. And kept my mind off being sick. I think I feel better now because I'm now alert enough to post.

First things first. Poland took Sparta in ceasefire, I took over Athens by force. And in the battle of athens, their hoplites spammed fortify then occasionally attacking my longswordmen which actually prevented me from being able to stab the athens with longswords. It was an pleasant surprise having relatively tough melee units to kill because it's making use of fortify function. Battles can easily become stalemates without action on other fronts.

Then I was able to explore deeper, saw an red lined cape town city state under polish possessions now and my nearby caravel went Hrmmm.... I could use the food and proceeded to sucker punch Poland and liberated Cape town by dowing on him.

Holy cow, i never have seen so much chariot archers before in my entire Civ Career. 20+ angry chariot archers. It was a complete mess, my lone caravel was fending off tons of them by re-liberating cape town twice in a row before I had to give up on it. But I managed to screw with Poland's reinforcement train pretty hard enough for them to call off the war with spain so they could concentrate on me. Then we fought for 10+ turns with Poland doing all the dying with me running away and hitting back.

Then he was like ok fine I don't care anymore and gave me Cape Town in ceasefire agreement. I happily accepted and left him alone. Apparently in the war between Poland and me, Spain took the opportunity to rebuild it's military forces. Because about 20+ turns after the war ended, Poland dow'd on Spain then Spain repulsed them pretty hard and almost retook all their lost cities. Only to falter in the end which led to this.

Spoiler :

After 30 turns of golden age from popping of great artists..
I could afford to maintain this huge fleet which I assembled at the red circle you see because thats' where I settled on that island. Then I had nothing but a settler, musketmen, the str 21 one. And finally an Privateer.

And I had sheer fortune that barbarians at that island composed of nothing but random land units and lots of Galleys plus few Galeasses. And that meant very high odds of capturing. I had to parade my lone privateer like nuts so the barbarians won't attack my galleys and caravels then sink themselves before i could capture them.

Result? I now have nice 20+ barbarian fleet composing of upgraded Caravels, Frigates and bunch of assorted land units. Then I looked at my brand new army and began to covet Arabia.... I saw unprotected cities, no walls and sad inferior navy, land military. Their navy was triremes plus chariot archers and spearmen.

And then my barbarian horde descended upon the rich defenseless lands of Arabia, a city was razed here and there, pillaged of all their gold and the rest became part of my empire.

My navy went after his coastal cities while the army went after the inland cities.

I didn't lose a single unit, they no stand a chance with ancient army vs renaissance one. >_> I couldn't resist such a low hanging fruit to boost my economy further.
And its strange though, this is the first time in such a long time that I have seen an backward AI civ. Normally they keep up in tech good enough. I think arabia became unhinged with communias AI mod. Or was it because of his really isolated location?

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Then as the war between my barbarian horde and arabian antiquity forces raged on... I was hard at exploring the world with several of my barbarian caravels.

What they found?

I'm not sure but I think ottomans need some more triremes. Maybe you need about some more just in case some accidentally get sunk. xD

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I don't know why they have so many triremes. :crazyeye:
His neighbors must be pretty weak enough to be deterred by triremes?

And Shaka in my map is the richest AI, over 9k gold and 900+ gpt.
He wiped out persia, and whole bunch of city states and is in process of shakalizating Netherlands. Netherlands put up one hell of a fight, razed an Zulu city which had 7 Iron and 7 Coal in it. And capital of amsterdam was flipped for like six times. But it seems like Netherlands lost steam and Shaka is struggling a little bit now with his huge horde of impis and knights supported by triremes while netherlands is fielding slightly advanced forces of sea beggars. I think Netherland's land army is basically gone at this point because I only saw a knight or two plus an cannon.

And now, Iroquois dow'd on the poland and is basically flipping the bird at Lubin city while sinking anything polish if they can. Triremes simply cannot take this city XD

Spoiler :

There was some crazy 3way battles back in the land of Arabia as the war reached its conclusion especially at the inland cities.

Barbarians was attacking Arabian units, cities and my units. Needless to say I won. >.>

By the end of day, I managed to find the last hiding AI and dragged him kicking and screaming into the world congress.
Spoiler :

He has Iron, but many triremes and few ballistas but not a single legion to be seen? O_o

I'm not sure but it seems like communitas has managed to make AI do decently in battle for the cost of making them looking possibly :crazyeye:?

In fact, I think today alone I have seen 50+ chariot archers than I have in last few years of playing civ5. This is all i can remember xD

Top Bottom