Civ 4 Mac - Graphics troubleshooting

Thanks, I did eventually find an answer - difficult to find search terms for this problem!

I'm just wondering what that solution was.

I recently upgraded to 10.6.8 (I know I'm years behind) and have also had the red screen and other graphics issues. The game played fine for years under 10.4.11. Every graphic is at low and that aliasing is at 0.

It's been suggested to me that it's my graphic driver (Intel GMA 950) that's the issue, but if there's a different fix, I would prefer it.

Even if there's no fix, I would just love to know why a better OS broke my favourite game.

Hi, for what its worth I've not been able to play since I updated to snow leopard 2.5 years ago. Was fine on tiger and leopard. Same problem as amalthea. Macbook 1.1

Tried CrossOver and PC steam version as an alternative solution, but my graphics card just too puny...

That Intel integrated chip is the problem. I run Snow Leopard with no problem playing CIV. However, my Mac Mini has a dedicated GPU, NVIDIA GeForce 320M.

So I MIGHT have a fix...

I'd bought the game again on Steam (complete version) to try PC version with Crossover. That didn't work, as per previous post. So I thought I'd try the mac version of Beyond The Sword as it is most up to date - with no great expectations. And it seems to work! Leader heads are fine and game seems faster than vanilla civ iv. Only tried 10 minutes so no guarantees, but seems better - even on my 2006 1.1 macbook...

I downloaded Beyond the Sword and you're right, the leader heads are fine! The bottom tight hand corner map was still messed up, but I figured I could live with that. But then, after about 15 minutes, my computer restarted itself. I think that's a ad sign...

I was hoping someone here could help me with a BtS problem I've been having.
This is the Steam Store version.

I have so far tried disabling anti-aliasing. Changing resolution. Changing the graphics level. And finally, running the game windowed. Nothing has proven to work.

As I have just downloaded the game from Steam, I assume it is up to date. However just to make sure I am including the details.

My MacBook details:
OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
16 Gigs of RAM

The nature of the problem: flickering trees. Not the worst bug to have, but still fairly annoying. Happens on various zoom levels. See the below animated gifs.

Anyone with the same problem?
Any info on how to solve this issue would be very much appreciated!

@Raconteur

I have the exact same problem, and ANNOYING is the best way to put it. Warlords' trees are perfect, but as soon as I fire up BTS on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro w/ Intel HD 3000 graphics, I get the stupid flickering trees! I hate it and I just want it to work. The weird part is, when I had a Windows partition on this machine, BTS worked just fine on that side and trees were not an issue. I wish there was a solve for this. I tried turning my Anti-Aliasing to "0" but that had no effect. Any luck on your end? Anyone?

Top Bottom