Barbarians

I like the barbarians they came up with in the Civ 3 WH2.5 version./ theyre now changed to the nechrarch Vampires, who sit in thier towers summoning skeleton warriors, gouls and nechrarch ships. we could implement this too, with a whole nechrarch barbarian civ. we could also have a Greenskin Rebles Barbarian civ, with some orcs, gobbos and snotlings thrown in... and maybe a skaven barb civ.

i like the idea of multiple barb civs.

Orcs are every btw... by no means are they organized into a single entity... the Greenskins we represent are the best organzied of there poeple...

Here is a list of Warhammer barbarian cities andunits i see could suit very well (note that each city is linked as an enemy of every playable civs to fitt fluff and warhammer unique flavour well)

_Barbarians cities:

Sartosa: Pirates
Ungol Tribe: Mounted barbarians
Lahmia: Barbarians and Lahmian vampire
Skytitans Palace: Giants
Lost City of the Old ones: Beast (dinosaurs ?)
Strigoi: Barbarians and Strigany vampire
Amazons: Barbarians (female barbarians would be nice)
Marienburg (good idea ? I don't know): barbarians and ships
Vampire Coast (Undead, undead ship and a carstein vampire

_Dens: (not writting the classical animal den already in)

Tainted Wardstones: Demons
Hard stone: Beastmen
Forgotten battlefield: Undead
Greenskin camp: Orcs and gobs
Raider warcamp: barbarians, mounted barbarians and mutants (chaotic style)
Lost Temple: Dinosaurs

So for land barbarians we can have:
chaotic style early warriors and horsemen, mutants, brigands, chaos spawn, weak minor unafiliated demons, unpaid mercenary bands, trolls, orcs, gobs, beastmen, skelettons, zombies, ghouls, fimirs, pisceans (savage fishmen) and pygmans.

Beasts:
Giants spiders, scorpions and rats , cockatrices, harpy, wild cold ones and terradons and maybe even swarms (bat, snakes etc...) + the animals already in the mod.

For sea barbarians let's take manowar sea monsters:
Ptolemean crabs,black leviathans, sea dragons, sea snakes, giant turtles, megalodons, krakens and pirates.

For Barbarian boss i can see:
Strigany vampire and necrarch vampire, wild carnosaurs and stegadons, sea king (the manowar monster like poseidon), chimeras, griffins and...dragons !

The more the variety, the better the immersion and the replayability i think

We could even put events like orthus invasion in FF. These events could be:

_Great cataclysm (1st turn of game): Lots of minor weak unafiliated demons all around the map.
_Nagash great Curse :Undead invasion
_Tong tribe horde : Huge horde of barbarian horsemen: the tongs are a human tribe living near the northern pole, During an invasion they almost wipped kislev and the kurgans and where the cause of the chaos dwarves veneration of hashut (they falled in chaos to be saved from the tongs).
_Skavens invasion: Plague and rat swarms invade cities before a lot of barbarian skaven units spawn.

A lot more events can be found includind early greenskins waagh and such.

I Hope it helps

In accordance to the post about multiple Barb civs, wouldn't it make more sense to just simply have the barbarian faction as any straggler or wannabe warriors, or animals, that seem to randomly attack any civ, much like vanilla Civ 4, and then all these other factions mentioned, simply make them non-playable Civs with their personality changed so as it is impossible, or at least extremely difficult, to be nice to them?

1- Units that disband due to lack of payroll, turn mercenary barbarian instead?

Which leads to:

2- How about a special unit for the less than lawfull civs, that can recruit barbarian units as mercenaries?
Obviously not all barbs would be equally ameniable to every civ, but Orks would probably accept any mercenary tough enough.
Mutants would be ostracised by Empire etc, but readilly accepted to the Raider or Beastman civs.
Tilea would certainly have mercenary recruiters.
Brettonia certainly not.

A seperate class of beastmaster would be required to capture and train monsters into a fighting unit.
(may be brought back to a city to 'breed' and thus enable, for instance pegasus riders?)

Is it possible to have a sort of barbarian civ that you can trade with?
I think Norsca would fit as one of those.

Is it possible to have the barb forts and piratecoves from FFH to spawn on the map. Wich each could spawn goblin/orcs/chaosmauraders and pirates barbs?

The basic point of expanding barb-spawning lairs is probably relatively easy to add.
As it stands, there is an Ancient Ruin improvement that spawns in map scripts; in FFH it spawns lizardmen units, it doesn't do anything here yet (just sits there).

I could easily imagine one lair that spawned skeletons/undead (like as current), one that spawned orcs and goblins, and maybe one that spawned lizards or amazons.

Explorable Lairs has some really great features if you can get it working.. plenty of options for spawning lairs; and monsters can be given an AI affinity for certain improvements/resources, so barbs can guard a lair to make it difficult to conquer, and Wolves will start to home in on your Sheep and Cattle etc. :cool:

As it stands, there is an Ancient Ruin improvement that spawns in map scripts; in FFH it spawns lizardmen units, it doesn't do anything here yet (just sits there).

you know, i never noticed that. ill make it spawn barbarian pigmeys. i would also like beast man, skaven and greenskin lairs, possibly even chaos demon ones. maybe a herdstone improvement for spawning beastmen, Warren improvement (different to the building) for skaven, and Orc/Goblin encampment for greenskins. Different Warpgates could spawn differnt deamons (one could spawn pink horrors, anothe bloodletters, another nurglings etc etc. i could give them a limited duration where at the end they turn into warpdust. these warp gates could spawn via events. very easy to make actually.

I tried to add ratlairs to the previous version by copying the bear lair code, only they did not work.
dunno why not, must have missed something obviously. ;)
Or maybe I should have used the barrow code as a template, I'm sure that one worked fine. (too fine! :p)

Once we get one lair type working, it should be a snap to duplicate the code for different types of lair.

Once we get one lair type working, it should be a snap to duplicate the code for different types of lair.

ive already made other 'lair' improvements, but havent got then to spawn in game (pit of shades is only creatable via a shadow spell and spawns Shades)

I had the exact same problem.

they appeared ingame as directed (by mapscript or by spell)
but did not generate the units I had specified. (nor any other)

maybe there is something hidden in SDK again... :mad:
We need someone that understands what that SDK actually is, to me it is just a mysteriously optimised, encrypted and hidden file. :blush:

correction i made improvements that do spawn creatures but the improvement themselves cant be spawned unless its through a spell or placed in world builder (and probably events) i suspect there could be a file in the XML which defines lair types...

IIRC there is the entry in the improvementsInfo.xml where you can define which type of unit it spawns...yeah: <spawnUnitType>

Are you refering to the lion and bear dens?
If so, probably increasing the <iAppearanceProbabillity> to above 0 should do the trick.
...although I have seen the cursed pit, which also has an iAP of 0... unless it was on a premade map that I saw it. ?confusing. :p

IIRC there is the entry in the improvementsInfo.xml where you can define which type of unit it spawns...yeah: <spawnUnitType>

Are you refering to the lion and bear dens?
If so, probably increasing the <iAppearanceProbabillity> to above 0 should do the trick.

:lol: you misunderstood me :p the units defined by that tag DO spawn. i just cant get the IMPROVEMENTS to spawn ;)

the reason the cursed pit spawns is because its defined as unique.

Skeleton generators and the ancient ruins definitely spawn using random map scripts. No idea where this stuff is defined though.

Top Bottom