Combat System and Civilopedia Race History

I think its easier to leave chariots as chariots, cavalry as cavalry and infantry as infantry. I don't see a big advantage to multiple mode units.

*edit*
I should note; we already intend heroes to be able to mount dragons (and maybe griffons?), the War wagon will function as an APC, and an Ind UU will function like a transport helicoptor.

Its problematic to add transport characteristics to many units, because they're easy for a human player to abuse; if you load 1-move units on the previous turn, then move next to the enemy and unload the 1-move unit, have it attack, and then you can load it up and move away again. Or gain extra pillaging power by loading infantry into an APC, and have them issue the pillage order while the APC just uses its movement.

Thats easier to do by giving the unit 1 transport slot but limiting it to only being able to transport hero-class units.
Like how submarines and caravels can carry missionaries and spies, but not normal infantry.
I wouldn't do it for chariots; chariots are too vulnerable, and cargo is lost if the transport is destroyed.

I also think that the hero-mounting stuff phenom should be a minor thing just there for flavor. You can't abuse it if only heroes can do it.

Thats easier to do by giving the unit 1 transport slot but limiting it to only being able to transport hero-class units.
Like how submarines and caravels can carry missionaries and spies, but not normal infantry.
I wouldn't do it for chariots; chariots are too vulnerable, and cargo is lost if the transport is destroyed.

I also think that the hero-mounting stuff phenom should be a minor thing just there for flavor. You can't abuse it if only heroes can do it.

Chariot-death was the trade-off for mobility in the ff mod mod that was introduced using chariots as fast transports. However, sure would suck if Karl Franz sped off into the afterlife all because some goblins stuck spears in his spokes.

very good point there Ahri, but the drawback is that if a dragon has 1 hero cargo space, there is no way for the dragon to benefit at all from the hero that is riding it. this is because cargo units (i believe) are considered out of the reach of combat. if using a spell, promotions can easilly be applied to represent the mounted hero (or an easyer way would be having a promotions showing the mount). this means we can easilly represent both mount and hero in the single unit's stats.

ie Karl Franz has the Griffon promotion after casting mount griffon which gives him 'flying, +x first strikes and +y strength' as well as a 'dismount' spell sepparating the Karl and the griffon into sepparate units again. (this can also use up a move point and/or a spell casting action if desired)

sorry if this dosnt make much sense. its 1am where i am lol

I think I understand what you mean. Austrin pegasai work like this in Fall Further; if you have most units and a pegasus in the same tile, you can cast a mount pegasus on most units in the stack which removes the pegasus unit and add+2 movement and flying to the unit.

This might work. I don't know if the AI uses it.

The alternative (which the AI WILL understand) is through a tiered hero upgrade system. There can be 3 versions of Karl Franz; a low strnegth infantry version with a low-tech requirement, a mid strength cavalry warhorse version with a medium tech requirement and a high strength flying griffon version with a high tech requirement.

The first can be upgraded to the second (for zero gold) and to the third like the Scions heroes in Fall Further.

The tiering hero system could also be a useful way of getting the AI to use its heroes more; the AI has a bad tendency to squander its heroes early.

So let the AI (or player) rebuild its tier2 hero if it loses the tier1 version, and rebuild the tier3 version

The new version is the same as an upgraded one, except it starts without all the promotions and without the Hero's equipment. (otherwise multiple equipment items start floating around).

This way we will see more of AI heroes even if they lose them.

Austrin pegasai work like this in Fall Further
exactly :) i forgot about them.

I don't know if the AI uses it.
the AI definately uses it. have you ever encountered Goblin Wolf Rider barbarians? they can only be produced through a goblin mounting a wolf unit.

The alternative (which the AI WILL understand) is through a tiered hero upgrade system.

this is a definate possiblity. and would be far more versatile for heroes that never get mounts (such as Ariel and Orion). im inclined to prefer this method over the spells now haha.

the AI definately uses it. have you ever encountered Goblin Wolf Rider barbarians? they can only be produced through a goblin mounting a wolf unit.

Thats not the same; it happens automatically on combat victory. It doesn't require any decision to cast a spell or not, or pick a target.
And are you *sure* that is the only means for it to happen? And are orc/goblin barbarians and animals really at war with each other in FF?
What I'm unsure about is whether the AI uses Austrin pegasai.
im inclined to prefer this method over the spells now haha.
Excellent, then we are in agreement.

Thats not the same; it happens automatically on combat victory.

ahh it must have changed with the multiple barbarians... it was like i said before... i think... honest :p

What I'm unsure about is whether the AI uses Austrin pegasai.

hmm now u mention it i havent seen the AI use pegasi (then again i rarely play games that long to see enemey archmages at all lol)

Excellent, then we are in agreement.

we are indeed :D you're very good at pursuading me lol

Top Bottom