Kael's journey with Fallen Enchantress

Great News! Thanks for sharing. FE will be on my Christmas list. If I like FE enough it might replace Civ4 as the primary game that I mod and play.

Great News! Thanks for sharing. FE will be on my Christmas list. If I like FE enough it might replace Civ4 as the primary game that I mod and play.

Why don't you just mod and play Elemtal:WoM :crazyeye:

Anyone tried it yet? I'm definitely considering a purchase.

I am wondering about FE too. Is it a solid game with lots of fun? :D

Edit : here some lore materials

The manual is linked below. Thanks to everyone who worked on putting it together an making it look great. Especially Toby Sarnelle, Kathleen Lane, Brian Clair, Leo Li and Nicole Gambrell.

http://stardock.cachefly.net/FE_manual.pdf

It's also worth checking out the Hiergamenon, a lorebook and history of the world of Elemental:http://www.elementalgame.com/hiergamenon

Enjoy,

Derek

edit: manual updated 10/23/2012

edit2: If you are looking for a 'slim' version of the manual, with increased performance on tablets and older computers, you can find one here:http://stardock.cachefly.net/FE_slim.pdf

edit3: If you're looking for a PDF version of the Hiergamenon, it's now available at:http://stardock.cachefly.net/FE_Hiergamenon.pdf

thanx for the pdf hiergamenon esvath :D

game's good, reminds me a lot of Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic . something I particularly enjoy is that pause between turns is short even in the endgame, which is something that plagues most 4x games imo.

^^That sounds great, thanks all for the tips and the manual :)

[to_xp]Gekko;11936878 said:
thanx for the pdf hiergamenon esvath :D

game's good, reminds me a lot of Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic . something I particularly enjoy is that pause between turns is short even in the endgame, which is something that plagues most 4x games imo.

since you play a lot of games, what do you think of MoM turn times?

early game it's slower than FFH/WM, I guess cause of the plentiful barbarians moving around. lategame it's faster than FFH/WM, could be faster with less barbs and less units overall. another thing that could help is wildlands like in FE, where certain areas have a strong boss blocking settling there till lategame.

so who else is playing FE? I've spotted some FFHers on the forums... Sareln, Tasunke, esvath and Blackmantle just to name some. nice to see you there guys :D

I've been playing it. It's okay, gets substantially better as you figure out how to play the game through trial-and-error (tutorial is incredibly brief), but there are a lot of bugs and the 4X side of things can be very frustrating due to a combination of bare-bones design and opaque mechanics. I can elaborate more if anyone is curious :)

Most fun in the game is running around with hero units and completing gradually more difficult quests while exploring lairs. Less fun is when the game refuses to allow you to expand further for no adequately explained reason, and you have to research a half-dozen military techs so you can slog through the nearest AI empire.

I just won a game with custom faction in FE! :lol::lol::lol:

While I do love the customized aspect of the game, I think I can understand some people that saying the game lack some depth and uniqueness between factions. It is because of high customization is on the different continuum than totally unique factions.

For example, Pariden is "the Amurites" of Fallen Enchantress, while Altar is "the Grigori". But I can create a custom faction with heavy magic and henchmen, thus a blend between Pariden and Altar. This will make Pariden and Altar less unique because I can customize a dozen factions between Pariden and Altar scale. :crazyeye:

Anyway, I like this game. The turns were fast too! The late game turns were faster than FFH/MoMana because of less cities and units, imho.

Just beat my first game as well, also with a custom leader. I actually had a little over 20 cities at the end, about in line with a decent-sized late-game FFH empire. The seemingly-arbitrary locations where you can found cities had a major impact, however; I was only able to construct one expansion at the start. Took four cities from my closest neighbor, which somehow opened up another city location or two. I then destroyed the next two closest kingdoms, grabbing 7 cities and unlocking several more settleable locations. By the game's end I controlled over 2/3 of the map, although mostly through outposts.

Speaking of which, I really wish outposts were more intelligent in where they automatically place roads, since they're really the only way to speed up troops to places where you lack cities.

I'm still undecided. I really dislike the art style but I'd like to support Kael by buying it.
Maybe I just give it a bit more time and see how it develops... at least until more game reviews are out to give me a better impression of the game.

if you just want to support Kael then get Firaxis to hire him. Don't leave him at Stardork!

Yeah, I was turned off by the art too when seeing various beta videos or screenshots. But after seeing it with my own eyes, the art is not too bad. It has a style. I don't mind if the art is more "grand", like many other fantasy arts, though ;)

I kinda like the art.

For some reason it doesn't "draw you in" like some visuals ... but honestly I have no idea why, and I really don't think its related to the number of pixels ...

The intro is really great though. I like the art in the intro, how its only half-moving ... I dunno, it just supports the overall paint-style art (moreso than in the in-game). Even so, without battle animations the game would really suck :p ... so not sure what to do. Probably just live with it I guess.

Still, the art is far from my mind. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps its that all games are ran on dedicated servers ... or just that its relatively new code ... but there seems to be a good deal of stability/ crash errors. (art errors as well, like missing oceans). Luckily however, I have not yet run into a problem that absolutely "breaks" the game. Meaning, I can usually reload/ restart the application, etc ... and the error will go away. Still though, its about as Stable as Morrowind on my older Win7 laptop. Which is to say, less than perfect.

As to the gameplay, I actually quite like it. In fact, I think the Altar could not have a better synergy. (only thing I might add would be 1 weakness + lucky)

I really like the customization options ... but I'm not sure how balanced the traits are. And its also slightly annoying that I can't pick more than 1 weakness :( (but I think its easier to balance with only one weakness available :p)

Top Bottom