Iron?

bbobb23

Chieftain
So, I watched Madjinn's videos before the release of the game and he said that iron came in bronzeworking now, and also in his Deity LP with Venice he had iron get unlocked with bronzeworking. During my first game as The Shoshone, Iron could only be discovered having researched Iron Working. Anyone else encounter this bug?

No you can mine it, but you can't use it until you research Iron Working or another tech that unlocks units that require iron.

No you can mine it, but you can't use it until you research Iron Working or another tech that unlocks units that require iron.

This has been my experience as well. Well, I haven't tried throwing a mine on it yet, but it is at least visible with Bronzeworking now.

Don't say iron to me. today, I payed 1000 gold to 5 irons by mistake. and alex accepted my offer gladly. then I nuked him :smug:

on topic; Omni gave you answer already and yeah, it's weird.

Yeah, I've encountered this. It's still unlocks with Ironworking and the tech is still super expensive.

I understand the logic of iron becoming visible with broze working. Once a civ learns to work bronze, it's easy for them to identify iron ore deposits. And technically, they could have mined the iron.

But, mining iron should not unlock until iron working is discovered. Even if a pre-iron civ can technically mine iron, they don't know how to process it so they can't do anything with it. So why would a pre-iron civ waste resources mining useless iron when they could be doing other things instead? They wouldn't.

In the game you can plan ahead and mine iron so that once iron working is researched you can build swordsmen right away. But that's not how the real world works. it's not like the people in Italy in 2000 BC knew that the Romans would use iron for legionaries.

So I am playing on a mac so i guess its not a bug. The Iron icon is definitely still on Iron working but I didnt realise if iron showed up on the map at bronze working or iron working.

They changed it because ironwas always a gamble. You can put make a pasture for horses, but can't use it until the the next tech. Iron working is still expensive, but at least you will be aware of the ability to use it earlier.

Top Bottom