Does anybody use WC diplo?

Juanholio

Warlord
This is a feature that simply hasn't been relevant in any of my BNW games so far. I find the requisite spy-as-diplomat in the capital too restrictive to be any use until the late game; at that point I'm often sufficiently dominant enough to buy enough votes to 'beat' all remaning civs anyway.

It makes sense for it to be implemented that way but as it is I simply don't use it, which seems a shame. Perhaps being allocated one diplomat for every two spies might help? Or maybe be able to discuss WC trades with a DoF?

I use it when I need to bride people to vote a certain way in the WC. It's stopped my luxuries from being banned.

I use it a couple of times each game. For example, getting some support for early world religion for an entrenched position.

i use diplomats frequently to dictate the WC agenda in the first eras, when CS allies give none or only 1 delegate.
i was very happy when i discovered in my first BNW game that assigning a spy to be a diplomat is actually not a permanent decision and that they can be used as regular spies again after a little bit of schmoozing.

Seems I might have to try make more use of this then.

Since you only have one spy in the are where you have 1 (2) delegate(s) and a number of other civs - is influencing one civ to vote your way effective? It seems to me to be a bit of a drop in the ocean (unless more civs like what you're proposing).

I had one game recently where I wanted to suggest the GS buff but would have upset every civ in the game bar one. It seems to me this is only useful, like I said, if what you're voting for is already popular and in that case is a WC trade even necessary?

I can see it being more viable in the mid-game but then I'm using my spies for defence, tech stealing or CS influence which goes back to my original point. I do take the point, though that you could spy, switch to diplomat and then switch back.

I use it every game. I got Eygpt to vote my religion World Religion. Damn good thing too, It passed by 1 vote. Now I need to repeal the - 33 GWAM crap.

Yeh I usually use it to get support for world ideology or world religion. Someone I saw said they'd bribed people to vote for them as world leader but I don't know if this is true or not!

Lol, I used it to be voted World Leader. I used three diplomats to get me enough votes. I got the "Dark Horse" achievement because I was never host but won via diplo one game. Buy a few CSs and use a few diplomats and not even the Deity AI will try to stop you. If you want you can be host and have some fun but it's not necessary.

WC isn't a game changer and was never meant to be if the designers had any sense of balance which they seem to have.

But it is very relevant. Unless your playing a pacifist game or always go for CS allies, being a successful warmonger and score leader in the middle game means squat if a CS and patronage buffed Civ has a lot of allies, cranks out the Forbidden Palace, gets the host position then proceeds to ban your luxuries, and turn his religion into the world religion.

It's possible to skate by several games feeling like WC is irrelevant because such a Civ as described doesn't exist in your games or you happen to align with them in which case you get a free ride on their proposals. But I suspect well hear about omgwtfbbq posts as soon as you face one that passes resolutions to mess with your industrial era and later games.

Say I have a diplomat in an AI capital and strike a deal with them to vote my way in an upcoming session; if I remove that diplomat and send him elsewhere before the session occurs, will I still have the AI's vote?

I really need to use diplomats, but it is a hard choice qhen you are behind some civs in tech and ahead of others so you need both offensive and defensive spies.

I also think that the AI isn't very rational when it comes to the WC. My last game Washington went on to ban nearly all the luxuries - even ones that he and his AI allies possesed - such that multiple rebellions broke out. Us human players and our AI foes spent more time fighting rebels than we did each other and we all fell behind in techs and our economies sunk. It was pretty chaotic and there was no method to the madness.

Extremely frustrating, to the point where I really hate the WC now. However as I get better at it hopefully I will enjoy it more. Oh and Washington completely dominated the WC to the point where he could pass things on his own. I realize part of the blame for that lies with us for not working the system very well. Nonetheless it felt extremely lopsided and it was a bit crazy that one warmongering AI had such complete control over the WC.

Say I have a diplomat in an AI capital and strike a deal with them to vote my way in an upcoming session; if I remove that diplomat and send him elsewhere before the session occurs, will I still have the AI's vote?

I believe so.

Yes, I've sent the same Spy/Diplomat to three(3) different secular AIs to bribe them to vote for World Religion in the first World Congress. If you have founded a religion it will definitely keep your head above water if you are facing Cultural AIs like Brazil/France and Poland(For some reason they always seems to run away with culture)

I use it too. I wish the AI would be more competitive over the WC though instead of just letting me claim all the City States, I'd use diplomats far more if this was the case.

Yes, I use them as diplomats every game so far. Each diplomat can work about 4 civs between votes (1 turn to move, 5 turns making introductions, 1 schmoozing to bribe). Assuming you have gold for bribing, this is a great way to get your resolutions passed, and the ones you don't like defeated. Moreover, they do seem to gather intelligence as diplomats as well as spies--they just don't steal techs.

I use it too. I wish the AI would be more competitive over the WC though instead of just letting me claim all the City States, I'd use diplomats far more if this was the case.

Have you ever played against Alexandre the Great, or... that Siamese leader I can't name? They've been powerhouses against me and a much greater competitors since BNW.

I played against Greece and Austria for a Diplo vic. Alex was the host and the only AI who cared lol. I used 3 diplomats to buy votes and win - AI isn't smart enough to do that. Having a few city states helps.

I have not used WC much yet. There is always an AI civ that runs away with City States, and stays host. I do use Diplomats towards late game to get the tourism bonus.

Greece and Siam have CS bonuses that allow them to slip right in, but I find economically strong civs like Shoshone can also gather quite a few CS.

And I've seem several AI shoot for FP, though it's possible they did it for the happiness

As far as I remember, yes. I usually do that, so I can trade votes with the most people as possible when I really want something to win (like World Religion), one can't get everywhere because of the delay of the spies to become diplomats, but its fun.

Top Bottom