Antiquity sites achievements

Genghis_Sean

High School English teacher
Anybody else been able to get either of these? I cannot.

Losing My Marbles Extract 5 artifacts from the territory of another major civilization

It Belongs in a Museum Have Artifacts from 10 different city-states in museums and wonders of your civilization

My difficulty is finding the right game settings to allow it. I just played a game with like 25 city-states, and there were not 10 artifacts to be found within the territory of the CS's. Similarly, none of the seven major civilizations had five antiquity sites within their territory. Perhaps by increasing the number of city-states in an effort to gain the achievement, I took up too much territory that might otherwise have gone to major civilizations. Maybe play a game with NO CS's to try to get that achievement? I would think the second achievement should be easier because in the event somebody beats you to an artifact, you could always trade for it since it doesn't explicitly say you have to excavate it yourself. I'm still struggling with the first one, though. It's a pain because you have to play for such a long time to get to the disappointment of finding out there aren't enough antiquity sites available.

I did manage to get the Louvre one, however, through trading.

Pyramid Scheme Playing as France, get the Louvre to the maximum theming bonus to 16.

I managed to get Losing my Marbles.... but not It Belongs in a Museum.

For Losing my Marbles, just go after a Civ with lots of territory... there has to be at least 5 sites. It would help to complete the Exploration policy tree to get hidden antiquities.

For It Belongs in a Museum, I plan on playing a map with 20 over more city-states. Antiquity sites next to city-states don't necessarily reveal a city-state artifact (learned this after trying a small map with 12 civs).

Hidden Antiquity Sites is what you are after, they aren't spawned by game actions but are more spawned randomly, which also assigns random civs to their ethnicity. So I would presume for the Musem one finisht he Exploration Tree.

Ive tried it recently too on a large map (huge would drain my pc to much in the endgame), and even with the hidden antiquity sites you need to be lucky to get to ten

I just got Losing My Marbles today, and there's a rather easy way to do it.

• Find an opponent who has a few antiquity sites within their territory, and don't worry if they have 5 or more sites.
  • Settle some cities near unclaimed antiquity sites and make sure that you buy the tiles that the sites are on.
  • Negotiate for open borders with your target opponent and station archaeologists on the target sites in his borders and near your new cities. Don't start excavating yet.
  • Finally, trade your newly settled cities near the target sites to the target opponent and then set the archaeologists digging.

A few turns later you'll have Losing My Marbles. You can even save just before you do this to avoid losing a few newly settled cities to the AI. Just make sure that the AI puppets / annexes the city as if it decides to raze them the cities will burn long before you finish excavating.

I just got Losing My Marbles today, and there's a rather easy way to do it.

• Find an opponent who has a few antiquity sites within their territory, and don't worry if they have 5 or more sites.
  • Settle some cities near unclaimed antiquity sites and make sure that you buy the tiles that the sites are on.
  • Negotiate for open borders with your target opponent and station archaeologists on the target sites in his borders and near your new cities. Don't start excavating yet.
  • Finally, trade your newly settled cities near the target sites to the target opponent and then set the archaeologists digging.

A few turns later you'll have Losing My Marbles. You can even save just before you do this to avoid losing a few newly settled cities to the AI. Just make sure that the AI puppets / annexes the city as if it decides to raze them the cities will burn long before you finish excavating.

I was excited about this idea, and I just tried it, but when I excavated it, the artifact was of MY civ rather than my opponents. Wonder if you have to wait for the city to assimilate and escape unrest or not after you gift them?

I was excited about this idea, and I just tried it, but when I excavated it, the artifact was of MY civ rather than my opponents. Wonder if you have to wait for the city to assimilate and escape unrest or not after you gift them?

It doesn't matter what the nationality is as long as it is from their lands.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Indiana Jones related achieve, which is something to the affect of

As America, finish excavating a site in Egypt with a German archaeologist within 3 tiles

or something like that.

I would expect that achievement to be one of the toughest to get, as you need to be America, have Egypt and Germany in the game, and get open borders with Egypt at the same time Germany has open borders with them. That alone would be tricky, but what makes it incredibly difficult is that you'd have to get all this in the Industrial Era or later with Germany (not a cultural civ) trying to get to the site immediately after you.

Edit:

The achieve is

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles

And it's two tiles, not three. Had to look because I wasn't sure.

You forgot the American archeologist extracting an artifact in Egyptian territory with a German archeologist within 2 tiles ...

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Indiana Jones related achieve, which is something to the affect of

As America, finish excavating a site in Egypt with a German archaeologist within 3 tiles

or something like that.

I would expect that achievement to be one of the toughest to get, as you need to be America, have Egypt and Germany in the game, and get open borders with Egypt at the same time Germany has open borders with them. That alone would be tricky, but what makes it incredibly difficult is that you'd have to get all this in the Industrial Era or later with Germany (not a cultural civ) trying to get to the site immediately after you.

Edit:

The achieve is

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles

And it's two tiles, not three. Had to look because I wasn't sure.

Somebody posted the cheesy way to get this was to do a multiplayer game so you could control all the elements yourself. I tried it and it worked.

For It Belongs in a Museum, I plan on playing a map with 20 over more city-states. Antiquity sites next to city-states don't necessarily reveal a city-state artifact (learned this after trying a small map with 12 civs).

Did this work out for you? I tried a large map and bumped up the number of city-states, but there were less than 10 hidden antiquity sites, and I only got 6 city-state artifacts.

Did this work out for you? I tried a large map and bumped up the number of city-states, but there were less than 10 hidden antiquity sites, and I only got 6 city-state artifacts.

I ended up getting this one on Standard map size with the normal amount of city states but it did take a few tries, including one where I ended up with 9 artifacts :mad:
I did see a pattern in the games that had lots of CS artifacts vs the ones that didn't. There basically two ways the game will end up generating enough for you to get the achievement.

1. Tons of wars involving CS, and I don't just mean attacking a few token ones here and there. This was an oddball game where everyone snatched up CS early and most Civs went to war in the Medieval era. Civs were fighting CS and CS were fighting each other, made for a high number of battle sites. I would not rely on this since war seems more rare in BNW, just a really fluky game in general.

2. From what I can tell, if historic occurrences (battles, ruin plunder, barb camp raids) don't create enough artifacts by the time you hit Archaeology the game just makes up a bunch. This is how you end up finding antiquity sites that claim to be Ancient Ruins sites in a game where you have Ruins turned off. In this situation you get some really weird results, like a Destroyed City antiquity site that claims Sidon burned down Yeveran even though they are on opposite ends of the world and have never been to war.

In this event you can find CS artifacts all over the world, even far from the CS itself. Your goal should be to beeline to Arch with as little global conflict as possible and then just spam Archaeologists all over the place, first to sites near CS then to all others. Make sure you have space in your museums, if you are running short just turn non-CS artifacts into Landmarks. Also, keep track of what City States you already have artifacts from, I believe if you have multiples of one it doesn't count. Hopefully you get close to 10 with the normal Sites then complete the Exploration tree and pray the Hidden Sites get you over the top.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting :)

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep plugging to see if I can get this one unlocked.

To add to what Durtag said, you might consider pre-positioning some units like scouts across the globe so you can quickly swoop in and cover the site with a unit once it spawns.

I was going to post a question about this myself. I am going to standard size map with default number of civs and city states. I will do continents plus. I hope to get a large run away on the other continent. I will also bump the barbs to "raging". I will probably lock myself in to getting a space victory, so that I have to play longer. I may also play as France to get their new achievement. (Pyramid Power? Anyway, it is the one about getting the max theme bonus with the Louve).

To add to what Durtag said, you might consider pre-positioning some units like scouts across the globe so you can quickly swoop in and cover the site with a unit once it spawns.

Oh! That's an awesome idea. :D

I got one of them from when Shaka conquered a whole continent so it was easy to get 5 sites from him.

The other I got from a large map with normal amount of city states. I had conquered the whole world except for one Iroquois city if I remember right and I just went around to CS digging up artifacts that were in their territory. I just made it to 10.

Ended up getting It Belongs in a Museum today. Huge map, and I bumped up the city states to 30.

One thing I did find on my last play through is that if you delete civs at startup, to make room for city states and expansion for example, the game reduces the number of Hidden sites.

Top Bottom