Unfair Feitoria limitations

Anoktear

Chieftain
So the Feitoria can only be built in a City-State's lands, on a coastal tile without a resource... In my current map its hard to find CS that meet this requirements.
Isn't this unbalanced compared to other Civs unique buildings?

The Feitoria gives you access to a City-State's luxury regardless of your level of influence with them. There are few unique buildings/improvements that are that powerful - even the Bazaar is only limited to what you have access to in your territory. I'd say it's just as well you can't build it in every City-State.

More annoying is when the City-State leaves its units sitting on all its coastal tiles and you can't get your Worker in place...

So the Feitoria can only be built in a City-State's lands, on a coastal tile without a resource... In my current map its hard to find CS that meet this requirements.

Well, Unique Improvements aren't like Unique Buildings; they don't replace anything, so its fair they're more limited.

For example: The Incan Terrace farm may only be built on hills without resources, which could be used for mines instead, so you're almost exchanging mines for food. The Chateau may only be built next to a resource and never next to each other, and so on...

So, UI's tend to be strong but limited.

As others have pointed out this is part of the game... Another "issue" I faced playing as Portugal was that other than one city state, all other 11 had the same luxury --- silver everywhere. So once I built my 2nd Feitora that was it. I built a few more for good measure but still took the wind out of the sails.

You are right. I'm new to the game and you gave me excellent views on the subject.
Thank you all

A single lux is usually distributed only to city states, this is why you often see two thirds of the city states as having the same lux resource. With Feitorias you'll be able to snag that resource without having to invest in city state alliances.

What you want to be on the lookout for is Mercantile city states. Jewelry and Porcelain are located on the city-state's tile and can be grabbed by a Feitoria.

The big advantage of Feitorias is that they let you get extra happiness without having to spend effort on city states. Unfortunately city states are so good that you'll probably want them anyway.

The big advantage of Feitorias is that they let you get extra happiness without having to spend effort on city states. Unfortunately city states are so good that you'll probably want them anyway.

That's a good point. It does at least guard you from dropping into unhappiness if you are usurped as the ally of a city state though. This is generally only a problem early-mid game though, so I guess its real benefit is that it allows you to grow your cities faster during this period, as you have a more solid supply of happiness.

And maybe get you more copies of lux to sell.

the only thing i find a bit annoying is that the feitoria prevents the cs to improve a strategic resource under it. in my last game (it was my 1st with portugal) i happened to build one on what i later discovered to be an oil tile. i had to build a new one on another tile and spend 200g to get that oil since you cant destroy these things.

You also have to march your worker over, no? That's a pretty steep cost early game.

You also have to march your worker over, no? That's a pretty steep cost early game.

Feitorias unlock with Navigation, so you will not be doing any early game anyway. Which by the way I think is another crippling limitation. Even if it does make sense historically, with Feitorias being a symbol of the Great Navigations, it is too damn late from a gameplay perspective. By mid-renaissance I already have my happiness very well controlled.

Feitorias unlock with Navigation, so you will not be doing any early game anyway. Which by the way I think is another crippling limitation. Even if it does make sense historically, with Feitorias being a symbol of the Great Navigations, it is too damn late from a gameplay perspective. By mid-renaissance I already have my happiness very well controlled.

how about if every civs had a early game?

Top Bottom