Has anyone else realized this?

So I started my first game as England this week, and my immediate neighbor was India. About mid renaissance, they've founded Buddhism and I'm pumping out about a dozen SOLs, and I was moving my fleet past them to intimidate Morocco, and I noticed that the symbols for SOL and Buddhism are almost identical (I can only see one difference).

The Buddhist symbol is more like the Wheel of Life. The Ship of the Line symbol is more like a ship's steering wheel. They do look the same, I agree.

Here's the comparison (for you visual folks). Too lazy to load up a game in CiV so I just grabbed pictures from Google image.

Actually, they are the same! Except for the middle. I guess Firaxis was too lazy to make a proper SOTL icon.

Actually, they are the same! Except for the middle. I guess Firaxis was too lazy to make a proper SOTL icon.

Nonsense, it obviously means that the SOTL is captained by hardcore Buddhist Monks. If a cannon fires at your ship and no one is there to save you, do you make a sound? Yes - screaming. Lots and lots of screaming.

Sounds like Undefined Fantastic Object

That's an amusing observation. I've occasionally confused Bismarck's Iron Cross for the Catholicism symbol and wondered why two religions were dominant in a city.

To be fair, the SOTL was there first, so you can't hold it against them. At the time, it was distinctive and easily recognizable. It isn't its fault that Buddhism showed up.

That's an amusing observation. I've occasionally confused Bismarck's Iron Cross for the Catholicism symbol and wondered why two religions were dominant in a city.

Spain's cross is also VERY sililar to the Catholic cross ingame.

If someone (say, Haile Selassie) founds Eastern Orthodoxy before Theodora it gets confusing.

Seems to me the key to recognizing the differences between symbols is the colors associated with them.

No. Not all (see the Ottoman trireme above)

Ok, you got me there :goodjob:

But SYKOJAK said that they're each associated with certain colors, but any unit can technically be owned by any civ (which would mean different colors). And religious symbols are all white.

You are right when comparing religious symbol to religious symbol, they are all black and white. But when comparing unit symbols to religious symbols is where the colors come into play. And when all else fails, hovering your mouse pointer should be able to clear up any confusion.

But what about color blind people? Its a nightmare for them :(

*snipped username* The Ship of the Line symbol is more like a ship's steering wheel.

Did you copy what I wrote? Cause I don't appreciate that. <-- A bot, I'm assuming ...

Anyway, it's not a coincidence that some symbols look like one another.

Anyway, it's not a coincidence that some symbols look like one another.

I'm guessing that it is a coincidence that those two symbols (Buddhism and SOTL) resemble each other that closely. In general, I guess it's true that they can have only so much variety with small icons used for similar purposes with the same art style.

Also, it might be best not to quote posters that copy and paste your previous posts verbatim. See here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=476570

Ethiopian troops look like Barbarian troops. Red on black, only the red is a slightly different shade. Been driving me nuts.

Top Bottom