Barbarian Units

shaglio

The Prince of Dorkness
I was playing a game last night and, late in the 1900's, I came across a Barbarian Paratrooper. I never knew barbs could have paratroopers, but I'm not sure what the point of them is. Since barbs don't have any "territory," their paratroopers can never make a paradrop and are essentially no more than basic melee units.

Wish you had gotten a screenshot of that.

I thought about taking a screenshot, but the last time I tried to upload one to the Funny Screenshots thread, it was a horrible mess. I don't know if I still have the save file because I finished the game and started a new one last night :(

Are you sure it was Barbarian and not rebel unit for an unhappy empire (check Tourism screen)?

Are you sure it was Barbarian and not rebel unit for an unhappy empire (check Tourism screen)?

Unfortunately, I started a new game and my AutoSaves are set to only keep 10. I knew I should have tried to take a screen-print or at least kept a separate save after it happened.

But is there a difference between barbarians and rebels? Rebels don't have territory either, so they still couldn't paradrop.

"Barbarians" is just a general label. In modern terms, think of them as being rogue mercenaries, terrorists, or black ops teams working for some shadow corporation.

"Barbarians" is just a general label. In modern terms, think of them as being rogue mercenaries, terrorists, or black ops teams working for some shadow corporation.

I meant, in game terms, is there a difference between the Barbarians that pop up in and around encampments and the Rebels that pop up due to unhappiness? It was suggested that the Paratrooper I saw was the latter rather than the former.

As an aside, I think the term "Barbarian" comes from the inland people that would attack coastal settlements in northern Africa (also called the Barbary Coast), but I could be wrong about that.

I like barbarian destroyers! I don't know if they still appear but I remember seeing them back in vanilla!

Barbarian comes from a greek word for anyone who wasnt greek (correct me if im wrong)
Correct. The word itself was an imitation of what a Greek heard when a foreigner spoke: "Bar bar bar bar bar bar bar." Civilized people spoke Greek! Anyone that couldn't manage to speak Greek was considered an illiterate hick.

I would also add that barbarian units in the game, reguardless of type, could be Criminal/outlaws/bandits/brigands/pirates.

Barbary coast comes from the Berber people group.

So there's a slim chance I might be right since the Berbers lived in North West Africa. That's one of those little tidbits of trivia that somehow got lodged in the back of my brain. Like how the term "vandalism" comes from the Vandals who harassed Roman settlements.

I dunno, but I thought that barbarian comes from the word barba=beard, cause the uncivilized tribes did have beards, so they called them that way. As Fridrich II Barbarossa means redbeard, therefore Barbarians means those who have beards. I think Romans called the germanic tribes that way. But maybe I am not right. I just think so.

The term "barbarian" refers to a person who is perceived to be uncivilized. The word is often used either in a general reference to member of a nation or ethnos, typically a tribal society as seen by an urban civilization either viewed as inferior, or admired as a noble savage. In idiomatic or figurative usage, a "barbarian" may also be an individual reference to a brutal, cruel, warlike, insensitive person.

The term originates from the ancient Greek word βάρβαρος (barbaros). Hence the Greek idiom "πᾶς μὴ Ἕλλην βάρβαρος" (pas mē Hellēn barbaros) which literally means "whoever is not Greek is a barbarian". In ancient times, Greeks used it for the people of different cultures but also to deride other Greek tribes and states; in the early modern period and sometimes later, they used it for the Turks, in a clearly pejorative way. Comparable notions are found in non-European civilizations. In the Roman Empire, Romans used the word barbarian for the Germanics, Celts, Carthaginians, Iberians, Thracians, Persians and in some respects the Greeks themselves.

~ Wikipedia

Well I've seen encampments that spawned XCOM...

wow. then i guess paratrooper is certainly possible. i've never seen past rifle, and that only on more islandy maps where the AI doesn't scrub encampments. anyway it's clear what a barbarian paratrooper is for. he puts stolen treasure in his parachute.

In one game where I was eggregiously farming barbs while waiting for a space victory, I saw paratroopers in a barb camp. I'm not sure what the rule is - in general I've never seen a barb unit that required a resource with the notable exception of horsemen (which are probably a specially-coded exception). Anybody know for sure?

wow. then i guess paratrooper is certainly possible. i've never seen past rifle, and that only on more islandy maps where the AI doesn't scrub encampments. anyway it's clear what a barbarian paratrooper is for. he puts stolen treasure in his parachute.

Well most people don't play into the late information era :)

In one game where I was eggregiously farming barbs while waiting for a space victory, I saw paratroopers in a barb camp. I'm not sure what the rule is - in general I've never seen a barb unit that required a resource with the notable exception of horsemen (which are probably a specially-coded exception). Anybody know for sure?

I've seen barb horsemen and swordsmen.

Top Bottom