Improvements are only worked 3 rings from City, yes?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
Did I read somewhere that improvements on non-special tiles (no wheat, dyes, cotton, gold, etc) are only worked 3 rings from a city?

So in other words there is no point whatsoever to building say, a mine, a farm, etc on a tile if it is more than 3 tiles out from the city?

If the tile has something special (wheat, etc) yeah, you get that, but otherwise, don't bother?

Sherlock is correct.

There is a ring of 3 tiles from the city that can be worked. You can double check this by manually assigning workers to the tiles. You also cannot purchase tiles beyond 3 tiles from your city.

Therefore, as you mentioned, there is no need to make tiles improvements beyond 3 tiles from the city, unless it is a usable resource or luxury.

Wheat is not a tile you gain anything from. Neither is bananas, cattle, sheep or anything that does not give a luxury or resource.

Sherlock is correct.

There is a ring of 3 tiles from the city that can be worked. You can double check this by manually assigning workers to the tiles. You also cannot purchase tiles beyond 3 tiles from your city.

Therefore, as you mentioned, there is no need to make tiles improvements beyond 3 tiles from the city, unless it is a usable resource or luxury.

Wheat is not a tile you gain anything from. Neither is bananas, cattle, sheep or anything that does not give a luxury or resource.

Wheat is not a tile you gain anything from?

If you put a farm on a tile with wheat don't you get more food?

Do you only get that food if you work the tile? And you can only work tiles 3 tiles from your city? So wheat tiles far away from the city.... worthless?

Wheat is a "bonus" resource. As in you get better tile yields but no actual resource(so don't bother I its outside of 3 tiles) strategic and lux give you actual resources that you can use I'm the diplo screen etc

Since i get conufsed reading it.

Yield wise, you can only work tiles within 3 hex ring. anything beyond that is unworkable

If a Strategic Resource is outisde the 4 hex ring you can't work it but if you improve it you get the resource added to your pool.

If a Luxury Resource is outside the 4 hex ring you can't work it but if you improve it you get the resource increase your happiness and if it's an extra copy it become tradeable (well, you can trade either way if improved)

Basically, what Wheat does is add 1 food to that specific TILE, not to your city. Much like Cows or Sheep do, while Stone adds production. But they only give the bonus to that TILE. Hence, if you do not work that tile (Which isnt possible if it's outside of the city radius of 3), you do not get the bonus.

Cities' citizens can work 3 tiles in all areas. That's 1 more tile added to the city radius that used to exist in civilization 4.

It might not sound like much, but that's actually a lot of tiles. Unless they're blocked by something like a mountain or another civilization, when you factor in building slots that should be more than enough to keep your population busy (just a rough guess, but the workable hexes should work out to something like pi(r)^2, or about 28 assuming they use circles instead of hexes, but they use hexes, so it's a little less, probably something in the low 20's).

Workable hexes formula is

6 * (N+1) * (N/2) + 1

where N is the maximum ring that can be worked (ring 0 is the tile with the city).

Which works out at

Max Work Tiles
0 1
1 7
2 19
3 37
4 61
5 91

Workable hexes formula is

6 * (N+1) * (N/2) + 1

where N is the maximum ring that can be worked (ring 0 is the tile with the city).

Which works out at

Max Work Tiles
0 1
1 7
2 19
3 37
4 61
5 91

Oh, I guess my formula was off on that one. At least I was somewhat close. But the point still being that you should have more than enough work to keep your people busy.

Improving tiles which are not luxuries or strategic resources will give you nothing when they are 4 hexes away from your city. Basically all you're doing is giving the enemy free pillages for gold and healing.

You can also use the workers to fix pillaged tiles in enemy lands. So if a unit pillages in an enemy land, you can fix it with one of your workers and pillage again.

You can also use the workers to fix pillaged tiles in enemy lands. So if a unit pillages in an enemy land, you can fix it with one of your workers and pillage again.

Workers can be built or purchased in your cities, as well as captured from other civs, CS's, and barbarian encampments.

Sometimes, I missed Civ 3 (Civ 4 ?)mechanics for strategic resources, sooooo much. You was able to build improvement outside your frontiers, in free zone and connect it with a road to your cities. And have to keep them of other civs.
It's one of the strategic aspect I really enjoyed in previous civs.

Workers can be built or purchased in your cities, as well as captured from other civs, CS's, and barbarian encampments.

Oh man, if my sarcasm detector is working properly and I think it is, that was hilarious. :goodjob: At least I'm not the only one noticing all the Captain Obvious comments showing up in basically every thread on this board, especially when most of these comments are barely even related to the thread itself.

Oh man, if my sarcasm detector is working properly and I think it is, that was hilarious. :goodjob: At least I'm not the only one noticing all the Captain Obvious comments showing up in basically every thread on this board, especially when most of these comments are barely even related to the thread itself.

I'm glad somebody got it. I was afraid I was being too subtle and everyone was going to think I'm a dunce. :)

Top Bottom