Civ 2 MGE Installation on Windows 10

TheBlackBaron

Chieftain
Hey all,

So I updated my computer to Windows 10 from 7.1 on a clean update, and I've been busily reinstalling software that I actually use. But for the life of me it's been impossible to get CivII to install. I've tried running both from the autoplay and the setup.exe directly, in administrator mode and in a variety of compatibility modes, and making sure other programs are off. Nothing seems to work. Checking the task manager I can see that they are running, and occasionally I'll hear the fans spinning up. But I'm never able to get further than the blue circle next to my cursor running for a few seconds before nothing.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and I can confirm it's the MGE, not vanilla, so that shouldn't be an issue. I also know that this is a better fit for the technical help subforum and I apologize, but the general discussion is much more active.

Basically, we in the Civ2 community (many of us at least), are getting to the point of trying to install our '70's muscle car gear on computerized, self-managing automobiles that don't at all like it, if you will. I just upgraded to Windows 10 on my computer from 8.1, but without a format. Thus, MGE is still installed and I haven't tried re-installing it (and your report on this is making me worry about that). I do hope there is a way around this issue, but, at this point, I'm not sure what it would be.

It was kind of a to get installed on 7.1 too. I actually encountered the same issue as now at first, but running in compatibility mode and (weirdly) closing iTunes got the installer to start running. No such luck this time.

I do seem to have found a workaround based on some threads I dug through - I extracted the data1.cab file and did a "manual" install. So I'm going to apply the patches and see if it works. If not, I guess the only option is a VM or petitioning GOG.

Top Bottom