Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

Hiya Michaelangelo. Trust me, I know how the US dates system works, I was just having a bit of a joke about it ;)! It was just too much to resist suggesting that we had missed the games' January release by talking about it too much :D!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Michelangelo said:
But the strange thing is they list it as an action game :confused:

here's the link:Release date
Yeah, they got the Publisher & Developer wrong too......obviously not written by a CivFanatic! :lol:

Oh, speaking of release dates, I also forgot to add something that WildFire told me.
He said that Game Informer had Civ IV for a winter release date, and not a Fall one.
Maybe not a big difference to us, but to the devs, the more time, the better.

I'm not adding it on until it's confirmed by the companies tho.

Well I can't post the picture but I can say that page 84 of the GameInformer does have two pretty pictures -- Go buy it they're cheap and worth it. :hmm:

From the screenshots I can gather the following <in no particular order>
1] Living resources like whales and horses are animated
2] Units are now represented by a banner surrounded by 5 of the particular unit -- and they are shown at different stages of animation
3] The tech you are studying is shown on the traditional (though much cooler) view from above. Included is info on what you'll be able to build with it and what techs it allows
4] Unit controls(disband, fortify) are now iconic squares in a box next to the unit info box. UI box has combat factor available/total move points.
5] minimap is now on the right
6] I "believe" that acquired techs for the age are iconic squares across the top
7] The larger screenshot shows a zoomed in view. Instead of top view it seems to be at a 45. Perhaps indicating a slide from top to close in profile.

This magazine isn't sold in very many countries, if it is indeed sold outside of America. If someone has the screenshots, everyone here is dying to see them. I really think it sucks that Firaxis is doing all this magazine material. We're supposedly the hardcore Civ community, and we're second best - again! *angry*

SewerStarFish said:
Well I can't post the picture but I can say that page 84 of the GameInformer does have two pretty pictures -- Go buy it they're cheap and worth it. :hmm:

2] Units are now represented by a banner surrounded by 5 of the particular unit -- and they are shown at different stages of animation
3] The tech you are studying is shown on the traditional (though much cooler) view from above. Included is info on what you'll be able to build with it and what techs it allows
4] Unit controls(disband, fortify) are now iconic squares in a box next to the unit info box. UI box has combat factor available/total move points.
6] I "believe" that acquired techs for the age are iconic squares across the top
7] The larger screenshot shows a zoomed in view. Instead of top view it seems to be at a 45. Perhaps indicating a slide from top to close in profile.

Sounds pretty cool. #3 shows that they have probably been working on the interface and such.

thatinkjar said:
This magazine isn't sold in very many countries, if it is indeed sold outside of America. If someone has the screenshots, everyone here is dying to see them. I really think it sucks that Firaxis is doing all this magazine material. We're supposedly the hardcore Civ community, and we're second best - again! *angry*

I’m not sure why they decided to go with magazine previews first, but it is probably because they don’t have any “major” things to go into detail with.
If we were all optimistic about it, we would say that they are pleasantly going to surprise us with reviews and a lot of informational details, and a lot of screenshots too. That may not be the case though, at least, not so far.
I really hope we get something soon™.

*crosses fingers* :)

I'm not bothered by them doing a magazine preview, I just don't know why they couldn't have done so in a widely available magazine-like PCGamer or the like. I confess that I have NEVER seen a copy of GameInformer here in Australia, and don't exactly want to fork out for the cost of postage from the US or Subscription to the mag-simply for the sake of a single article!!
If someone could ascertain the legalities of this particular case, I would be grateful.

Back 'On topic', though, #3 sounds a bit disappointing to me because it sounds like 'semi-blind' research is definitely NOT IN :(! Of course, it is early days yet, and there is always the possibility that it can be added via modding (fingers crossed).

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

SewerStarFish said:

All but cosmetic nick-nack. And while I welcome long lost scripting and editor features for Civ IV, especially the planed unit and map representation are a complete turn-off to me!

I own Pirates! and those low number polygon soldiers are very basic and ugly when zoomed in. And the entire look of Pirates may work for the Lush-Caribbean-Freebooter's revival, yet the Civ2 and Civ3 forums have shown that people want more realism when it comes too terrain tiles and resources.

By the way- except for the nice 3d graphics- and dancing, mind you- Pirates! was exactly the same game than its venerable grand-father Sid Meier's Pirates! Gold (12 year-old follow-up DOS game to an even more seasoned incarnation)- with exactly the same features... I played it for 20 hours and then couldnt bear that Carribean flair anymore and de-installed it... and there it remains: Stowed away in its retail box :(

Besides, this Multi-Units hype is vastly and utterly overated... units clearly identiable with their civilization by their looks need no flags- those had been gone since Civ I, mind you. Instead of getting units resembling actual historical units these news seem to indicate we'll get a random looking one-settler/soldier/pikeman-for-all-random-civs yet again (only instead of one we'll get a 5-pack along with a civ-flag???? - those poor Mayas will have to run around with Egyptian workers AGAIN !?)- PLEASE! - Less Mass, More Class please, Dear folks at Firaxis !!!

Your former team members, now your present time competitors in the RTS genre (of Empire Earth and Rise of Nations) have had this for some years now... and they sold very well.

And while a Sid Meier game has never before looked so good (zooming out again) animated resources and the like is not really a revolution- hey, even Call to Power had it (including visible trade routes. The looks have mostly been secondary to the games' great gameplay features- congrats!- however when I first saw (and played) Civ3 directly after early adopter purchase I was dismade as the gfx topped everything in bad gfx in Sid Meier's games to that day (terrain is awful).

The success stories of Game Series such as fairly plain-looking, yet feature-loaded, moddeable, and quite historicaly atmospheric Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, et al in times of high-end 3d animation prove that high customer utility comes through actual gameplay. To make it look nice is nice enough, IMO.

I agree with you on the note that Pirates! is a good game, but it is not very addictive after playing a long time. I still play and enjoy it, but it is not as close on the addictiveness scale as Civ is. This was the hype with the game: "In Civ you kept saying 'Just one more turn,' but in Pirates! you'll be saying, 'Just one more voyage!'".
I remember feeling very happy about it, since they got me believing that the game would be as addictive.

In the end, obviously, it turned out not to be so. I love the fact that they kept the game-play like the original, but the complexity of the game was just not there, and therefore, was not as addictive. A great game, nonetheless.

I definitely think that if Civ IV is going down the same road with the complexity factor, in the end I might not be as excited about it as I was with Civ III.
There is just one thing I believe in that says this will not happen. Firaxis intended to recreate Pirates! and keep it the same as the original, and perhaps that is why I feel like I do.
Nothing, and I emphasize, nothing that we, the fans, considered great about Civ III regarding its game-play should be taken away from Civ IV. Take-Two or Firaxis might think they’ll get more sales by cutting complexity, but I doubt that’ll happen. There are better ways to get more sales than to cut some great game-play elements.

Maybe the reason why I’m so concerned about it now is because I want to have the same feeling when playing Civ IV as I did when I first played Civ III. :D

Hmm, being a Civ veteran (since Civ, Colonization and Civ2- over to its many addons) I already had my troubles when realising that in order for new features to be added to Civ3, many others from its predecessors had not been considered (such as events and scripting-tools to name one). Of course the Firaxis team was under great pressure, time- and finance-wise.

Yet also features that made similar games stand out were left aside (u'll remember my list in the old thread?) making Civ3 a mixed bag for people hoping for a "great throw" -especially after having seen what Firaxis was able to achieve with Alpha Centauri (well that was before the Firaxis team split up- sad, very sad- imagine what game Civ3 could have become had these great minds acompanied its development, and not left the turn-based genre for the sakes of real-time strategy gaming) :(

I think we both share the same concerns :D every time I hear about what the novel changes are said to bring I'm painfully reminded of the swap from Civ2, (over Alpha Centauri, with a side-step to the Call to Power Franchise), over to Civ3.

If you want a game which makes you say 'Just one more voyage!' just try Port Royale. Man, that had me hooked for hours on end and, though I wanted to keep playing it, I decided to play some other games just to break things up a bit-but MAN was it tough to do. One can only wonder if Port Royale II is even BETTER?!
Anyway, I have my fingers crossed and am hoping that Civ4 will have everything which made Civ3 GREAT, whilst also adding a whole host of even BETTER features to hook us all in even deeper ;)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Civrules said:
I definitely think that if Civ IV is going down the same road with the complexity factor, in the end I might not be as excited about it as I was with Civ III.
There is just one thing I believe in that says this will not happen. Firaxis intended to recreate Pirates! and keep it the same as the original, and perhaps that is why I feel like I do.
Nothing, and I emphasize, nothing that we, the fans, considered great about Civ III regarding its game-play should be taken away from Civ IV. Take-Two or Firaxis might think they’ll get more sales by cutting complexity, but I doubt that’ll happen. There are better ways to get more sales than to cut some great game-play elements.

Maybe the reason why I’m so concerned about it now is because I want to have the same feeling when playing Civ IV as I did when I first played Civ III. :D
After doing a lot of reading I understand the designer Soren Johnson has said that he will keep the level of complexity the same as Civ 3? So I don't believe we have to worry about things being 'dumbed down'. Mr. Johnson also mentioned that he wishes to eliminate tedious micromanagement such as pollution and rioting - which in turn leaves more 'gameplay complexity' for other concepts which are more entertaining. Personally, I am not worried about how Civ 4 will end up. It will not be like Europa Universalis - since it is aimed at the mainstream - but I trust Soren to make an entertaining game nevertheless.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
I think we both share the same concerns :D every time I hear about what the novel changes are said to bring I'm painfully reminded of the swap from Civ2, (over Alpha Centauri, with a side-step to the Call to Power Franchise), over to Civ3.
What is it about those games that you enjoyed so much more than in Civ 3?

I tried playing those other games, but I couldn't get into them nearly as much as Civ 3 - though I suppose I'm biased in favor of games which simulate history rather than something sci-fi and I like a good challenge from my games - knowing the AI civs are unable to compete with you takes the fun out of it for me.

thatinkjar said:

jepp. Any way to get those pictures somewere in the web?

so much more than in Civ 3?

I never said that. :| what I meant was that these other games (being of the exact same theme, most of those mentioned ones even having been made by the same company people) allowed many other fun and elaborate means to play, edit, script, win and enjoy a few hours of 'civ-style' gaming. To mention just a few:

In Civ2 even a non-skilled one was able to make proper scenarios with customizeable scripts and triggers of which nothing really exists within Civ3 (at the moment I am tantalizing my brains about how to get the upcomming "Storm over the World" scenario to feature a European start of WWII in 1939- Germany/Russia vs. Poland, and combine it -then Germany vs. Russia- with the timing and nature of the WWII Pacific warfare (Japan vs. US/UK/Netherlands/Anzac) at its proper starting point in 1941... all without scripts makes it nearly impossible)

Alpha Centauri had proper 3d tiles (with real weather calculators and realy terraformable down to sea level) on a 2d map (ugly but quite inovative given the state of technology of "ageing" 2d). It featured customizeable units in a colonization-style way of equiping a certain unit with a variety of custom combos. Also was diplomacy more entertaining and atmospheric than ever before in a Sid Meier Game (allowing forum Votes about banning or un-banning Nuclear weapons or emissions- which would really lead to entire cities being swallowed by the seas with rising tides) and a variety of addins -like pleading for ending of wars between friendly civs (something I hadn't seen elsewhere- and I was dissapointed not to find in any later game of the same company team). While this a sci-fi franchise it still stands out as the Genre's highest development standard in these areas - so far all Firaxis team games (also the civics and religious aspects envisioned for Civ4) derive from this aged Civ3 predecessor.

CTP/CTP2's diplomacy system sucked (I'm sorry, but this needs to be mentioned- especialy since I just praised another game for being so marvelous at it). This game is clearly a clone and as such emulates many of the success stories of the civ2 line that far- we find units (animated for the first time in this Genre), cities, upgradeable terrain tiles and terrain buildings, etc. but we also find proper resources (i.e. tradeable ones with monopolies bringing an accumulating bonus. While this feature was again emulated by the Firaxians to re-appear in Civ3 (like civ borders, or enslavement as only one way of media-related alternate ways to win, CTP offers) one of the greatest novelties of CTP did not only not make it into implementation within Civ3, yet also fell back behind the standard achieved with follow-up Alpha Centauri: Namely the map system:

CTP had several map layers: Your submarines don't bump into ships anymore, merely because you are not restrained to leave your submarine on the surface but can really dive two layers down to the bottom of the sea, this making them gradualy harder to be tracked by ships, while needing to get to higher layers or surface to shoot of missiles or for torpedo attacks. Planes have their own layer and can fly exclusively above ground units, there were sea bottom cities and respective depth resource gathering and bridge building over open water spaces, even Armies and Eras appeared (another few things Civ3 copied, and better this time- IMO)... while Civ3 apparently entirelly lacks a workeable usage of planes, leave alone hybrids such as helicopters. Here it seems that due to wanting to change the way civ3 should handle these areas, and due to the fact the implementation was lacking, these points were scrapped almost entirely and replaced by pre-standard basics. Civ3 added 3 "types" of water tiles, yet made units sink in them in a gradual manner :( this tells me: We'd have love to do it differently but we didn't really know how to so we settled for the lowest common denominator... this now makes Civ3 look like the Clone, while it should rather seem like the Original it really is!

Similarly, CTP had a macroeconomic approach to army readiness: You had a slider with which you could set your army to peace, prepared and war status, with the slider movement the army gradualy being set to full strength with the hitpoints we would later find (as a clone) in Civ3. Yet in civ 3 we only have some sort of "Normalcy" and "War" status- which has nothing to do with the Army itself, yet just gives a tiny bonus (with side effects) to your city improvements- again copied by Firaxis, but badly copied and unable to implement it into their engine in a proper manner. :sad:

Mind you, I consider the 1st of the CTP games as an entire ripp-off as I consider that the game was released when it was only half-way completed (to get a patch sized 70 mb to get a working game paid in full, in the 1990s, with all we had being our dial-ups was a slap in the face). But CTP overcame it by releasing CTP2 (in my opinion CTP 1 the way it should have been- with a crappy diplomatic scheme still, though). I must say, however, that I had not expected the team of legendary Sid Meier to deliver a similarly lacking game. Civ3 is still the better game over those mentioned, but it is not complete, especialy not in the light of what it could have been with knowledge available and technology accessible. Oh, well... I talk too much... :blush:

ps. Comparison between games, or "what Civ3" lacked and Civ4 shouldn't as a consequence

you guys type a lot! dang! after reading for a few hours, I have to say I agree with WINTER: CivIII could have been MUCH better (and should have been). I personally am psyched about CivIV but if it proves not to be able to live up to even CivIII, I am going to be seriously pissed off (and will probably write a letter :lol: ). M-units have been definately blown way out of proportion (if they're such a big deal go download the CivIII version). They are nothing new. I am interested most in more animations and MORE REALISM. I dont like playing a game where stats and prerequisites are random or blatantly incorrect (When has a dinky little guy with a sword AND NO ARMOR survived an F-15 bombing? How can some buildings require no resources? Everything is made of something or it doesnt exist. They need to add some new resources.) My last point (feel like I am rambling. sorry!) is that Firaxis NEEDS (not should, NEEDS) to allow scripting and VERY VERY MUCH IMPROVED moddability. CivIII was great but what else can you do besides change only some of the stats of otherwise unchangable concepts and add a few things. CivIII is great but to survive CivIV must be better!

Hey Winter, I think you have some really valuable thoughts that should be posted in another thread. (I mean that in a good way. While I enjoy discussion in this thread, I think you'd get some very interesting feedback if you posted a thread about, say, the transition between Civ 3 and Civ 4, and compare it to that between Civ 2 and Civ 3...)

Otherwise, yes, I think Civ 4 needs to be more than a graphical overhaul of Civ 3. And a lot of those features mentioned from that magazine seem to be either interface improvements (helpful), or graphical improvements (pretty).

I do agree with Vael about complexity. They're not dumbing down Civ 4. But they will cut out the complexity of low level monkey work to replace them with new complexity -- hopefully high level game-changing strategy!

Top Bottom