Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not rude to ask for help, that's what this thread is about :)
I'm not sure what your problem is, actually. Is it that you get to see more than just the "RFC 3000 BC" and "RFC 600 AD" scenarios when clicking "Play a scenario"? If so, what happened when you choose one of the RFC scenarios, do you get an error message?

The most probable reason would be that you renamed the mod folder. It must say "RFC Dawn of Civilization", or the game will be unable to find its associated scenarios, which are referenced by that name :)

I kind of implied that the current effect would be dropped upon the suggested addition.
It might work with Aristocracy, but it's also the only Society civic to use during the Middle Ages. Everyone would be using it. :hammer:

Maybe it's best that way, though. Autocracy and Totalitarianism are far too late for that and Aristocracy needs its own edge to be competitive even in the later eras. I'm on the look-out on this, I need to test few things.
I think that's what I do, Aristocracy's current +50% great general emergence is rather uninspired anyway.

Edit: I looked up the "transition to democracy" code.
I've changed it so that it's now a "transition to parliamentarism". To avoid its instability, you have to be a Constitutional Monarchy (Monarchy + Representation) or a Representative Republic.

Another question: I'd like to get rid of the following UHV conditions:

- The "no foreign culture" one for Japan.
- The "be the first to circumnavigate" ones for Greece and Phoenicia, maybe even England.

Especially because I don't want to prolong Greece's and Phoenicia's game artificially.
So I'd like to ask you if you have ideas for conditions to replace them with :)

I don't agree with France getting the Indian UP. The French revolution provoked high instability for years (actually until Napoleon), and these years could be characterized as anarchy.
Also, this gave me an idea : what if revolutions were a little more random ? Like, in the end of the anarchy, the revolution can have won or failed, or a totally different civic disposition can have happened, to show the randomness of a time of anarchy : at first the French people wanted a fairer country with a higher representation of the people and all they got was Napoleon, a totalitarian general. Revolutions could even happen automatically when the country is unstable or unhappy, and the people want another system (more downwards in the civic screen).
I agree that the French UP is not entirely satisfactory for now, but a more culture-orientated UP would probably be more historical (something like +1:culture: in all cities).

Since this is also a bit OT it goes into spoilers:
Spoiler :
Also, this gave me an idea : what if revolutions were a little more random ? Like, in the end of the anarchy, the revolution can have won or failed, or a totally different civic disposition can have happened, to show the randomness of a time of anarchy : at first the French people wanted a fairer country with a higher representation of the people and all they got was Napoleon, a totalitarian general. Revolutions could even happen automatically when the country is unstable or unhappy, and the people want another system (more downwards in the civic screen).
This reminds me of a project I was sketching on... I thought I'd include a system of political oppositions to RFC. So once your unstable, you'll get reminded of what political fraction is your main opposition. Then you get to handle that opposition in some way, like ignore it, give in to some of the demands (like change one civic), clamp down on it - or convert to it.

Depending on the situation, your current Civics and some random factors, the result of such a pop-up could be a period of Anarchy. And since I've made collapses occur because of Anarchy (and not instability as such) it could in turn lead to a civil war. Depending on whether or not you converted to the political ideology of the opposition (making you its leader) you either control the old regime or the rebels. Some condition (like capturing or securing the capital) could be set into place to end the civil war and make all (or most) cities rejoin your empire. Or it could drag on until the fraction you represent is defeated...

There would be both political and religious oppositions, but also modern stuff like Civil/Human Rights Activists or Environmentalists. Ignoring your political opposition will in any case result in further instability, possibly leading to secessions or even Anarchy (with the possibility of a collapse and civil war).

Also, Civs could have their Unique Oppositions, like the Bolsheviks for Russia or the Suffragettes for the English. Well, its an idea for now... :rolleyes:

I wanted to share this with you. Generated from the 600 AD start, the mainland Europe has been colored entirely in yellow and several European countries have either been wiped off or in exile. Spain has taken all of Iberia hostage and colonized the New World, Germany has an empire stretching from Paris to Kiev/Wilna. Only 12 countries remain, four or five of which can be counted as superpowers of sort.

Attachments

• Roosevelt AD-1775 Turn 346 - Spanish New York.CivBeyondSwordSave
    738.9 KB · Views: 126
I don't agree with France getting the Indian UP. The French revolution provoked high instability for years (actually until Napoleon), and these years could be characterized as anarchy.
I agree that the French UP is not entirely satisfactory for now, but a more culture-orientated UP would probably be more historical (something like +1:culture: in all cities).
Well, that depends on how you define instability. Of course there were famines and uprisings in the years following the revolution, and the Jacobine reign of terror was surely not pleasant. But the government itself was never in danger to break down, the military was still loyal, and when facing counter-rebellions (which were put down quickly), claims to the throne and a war with many monarchist powers (including Spain and many HRE states), they were not only able to keep their territory, but even expand to the Rhine.

Also consider that France switched between Absolute Monarchy, Parliamentary Republic, Autocracy, Constitutional Monarchy, Autocracy, Constitutional Monarchy, Autocracy and Republic in less than 100 years, not even counting social and economic changes. They successfully managed to get through a lot of anarchy.

+1 culture in all cities is really weak compared to that, and given the low value of culture in the late game, I'd prefer the current UP to any culture-related one.

The idea of a more event-driven civic choice sounds very good to me, I always found it unrealistic that a revolution is "ordered" by the government. But that would be difficult to balance, and I fear that in the end it will only result in taking freedom away from the player.

I wanted to share this with you. Generated from the 600 AD start, the mainland Europe has been colored entirely in yellow and several European countries have either been wiped off or in exile. Spain has taken all of Iberia hostage and colonized the New World, Germany has an empire stretching from Paris to Kiev/Wilna. Only 12 countries remain, four or five of which can be counted as superpowers of sort.
Impressive! I've never seen a Spanish New York before. It will be interesting if Germany survives its expansion into the Netherlands and France.

By the way: England doesn't seem to found cities in Northern England anymore (Manchester/Newcastle/York) ... or did you see them doing it? It seems as if Edinburghs culture stops them from doing so, and their settler destinations are already set when it flips.

By the way: England doesn't seem to found cities in Northern England anymore (Manchester/Newcastle/York) ... or did you see them doing it? It seems as if Edinburghs culture stops them from doing so, and their settler destinations are already set when it flips.

Is this really an issue? London, Edinburgh and the odd Plymouth/Exeter is enough to encompass the whole isles' tiles to use. But you're right, they do seem to have stopped founding cities in between.

I'd prefer the current UP to any culture-related one.

OK, but the current UP bothers me for a very important reason : France has always had good relations with extremely far away civs, including the Native Americans or a few Asian trading posts. It has always been at war with all its neighbors including Spain (a lot), England (a traditional enemy), or Germany (from the holy roman empire to the 3rd Reich).
So I'd prefer (for a similar UP) something like : Not at war with the natives. It would ease up the Nam colonization while keeping it dangerous (the Barbs can always show up) and still be powerful (how many times have I seen New Orleans razed by natives.:mad:)

So I'd prefer (for a similar UP) something like : Not at war with the natives. It would ease up the Nam colonization while keeping it dangerous (the Barbs can always show up) and still be powerful (how many times have I seen New Orleans razed by natives.:mad:)
Yeah, that makes sense. War would not be the default state between France and the Natives. It would be possible for either side to declare war, though.

I wonder how Rhye has achieved the Natives to essentially become a second Barbarian civ... Because everyone is always as war with them, right?

I know that the AIWars module controls war/peace with the minor Civs in RFC, but I doubt that the Natives are included... I think I'll check this out, as it could turn out to be easy to make this happen.

That's a very good idea! Maybe we could even expand the UP so that Native American units "flip" to France when coming close to their borders, to represent how France used allied Iroquois fighters in the Seven Years War (which is even nicknamed "French and Indian War" for this reason).

I am also very glad to announce that I've successfully merged my modmod with RFC Marathon by embryodead. So when version 1.2 is up, you can enjoy it in epic and marathon game speed, too! :)

And, Baldyr, now that I have you here: I'd like to make it so that the Apostolic palace locates the Catholic holy city to its city when it's build, to reproduce the situation of the 600 AD scenario. That's what I added in CvRFCEventHandler.py:
Code:
        def onBuildingBuilt(self, argsList):
                city, iBuildingType = argsList
                iOwner = city.getOwner()
                self.vic.onBuildingBuilt(city.getOwner(), iBuildingType)
                if (city.getOwner() < con.iNumPlayers):
                        self.sta.onBuildingBuilt(iOwner, iBuildingType, city)
                        self.com.onBuildingBuilt(iOwner, iBuildingType, city)
                self.cong.onBuildingBuilt(iOwner, iBuildingType, city)

# Leoreth: Apostolic Palace moves holy city
		if (iBuildingType == con.iApostolicPalace):
			gc.getCyGame().setHolyCity(1, city, false)
I was too lazy to test it properly, but simply adding the Apostolic Palace via World Builder has no effect, so I was wondering if there's something wrong with the code.

Btw, cool to see you're a fan of Lena Meyer-Landrut! :goodjob:
She's the best singer ever to be casted in German TV by far, and finally someone with a unique way of making music. You really can see how much fun she has with interpreting; I always have to smile when I see her.
I wish you could understand her interviews, because there it shows that she's also a funny, slightly weird, unconventional and humble person :)

That's a very good idea! Maybe we could even expand the UP so that Native American units "flip" to France when coming close to their borders, to represent how France used allied Iroquois fighters in the Seven Years War (which is even nicknamed "French and Indian War" for this reason).
Yeah, you go girl! I'm thinking that the Natives Civ has some sort of barbarian "flag" in the DLL, since I can't find anything in the WBS, the XML or the Python. Please report back if you find it...
And, Baldyr, now that I have you here: I'd like to make it so that the Apostolic palace locates the Catholic holy city to its city when it's build, to reproduce the situation of the 600 AD scenario.
I believe that this is what you need:
Code:
		# Leoreth: Apostolic Palace moves holy city
		if iBuildingType == con.iApostolicPalace:
			gc.getGame().setHolyCity(con.iChristianity, city, False)
You can lose the parenthesis in the if statement, as they do nothing here. (Rhye uses a lot of them, I know... :rolleyes:) Also, the method you need to fetch the CyGame object is getGame(). But you could also create a new reference by going:
Code:
CyGame().setHolyCity(con.iChristianity, city, False)
Also, use a capital letter for the built in types/values like True, False and None. Other than that, you should be good. :goodjob: But make sure to test it out before release!

This is actually a very good feature! :king:

And the OT stuff:
Spoiler :
Btw, cool to see you're a fan of Lena Meyer-Landrut! :goodjob:
She's the best singer ever to be casted in German TV by far, and finally someone with a unique way of making music. You really can see how much fun she has with interpreting; I always have to smile when I see her.
I wish you could understand her interviews, because there it shows that she's also a funny, slightly weird, unconventional and humble person :)
Yeah, she rocks! I've come to view her as part of a recent retro wave among young singer-songwriters that I've managed to miss completely. I actually thought she was covering old acts in USFO, but found out the other day that the songs were originally performed by 20 somethings in the last three years! :eek: (Not counting Love Cats, of course.) Go figure! :p

I'm so getting the album due this week... I might also pick up some of her influences like Adele, Kate Nash and Lisa Mitchell. (Yeah, I'm soft for the young female singer-songwriters. :mischief: Another big favorite is Melody Gardot, also doing retro stuff.)

And I could give an arm to understand any German at all! Lena seems to spout gold nuggets every time she opens her mouth, and I can only gather that she has something to say, but I have no clue what... Hopefully there will be English language interviews online these coming weeks. Her being done with her exams and the album and whatnot. Its Eurovision time, baby! :king:

I actually think Germany has a good shot at winning the ESC this year, even if Croatia or Denmark could easily snatch the trophy from Lena's hands. Lets just say that Germany isn't gonna be in last place this year... Am I right or am I right? :D

Thanks! I'll fix this feature and then it's time for another release :) France's UP has to wait.

OT:
Spoiler :
To be honest, I don't even care if we win anymore. We already got a fantastic musician out of the deal, winning the contest would only be extras ;) I'm already determined to buy her first album.

But I definitely find her the best candidate this year, and it's no patriotism this time :lol: The "Eastern European countries" effect must always be reckoned with, though, and it wouldn't be the first time that a better show beats the better musician. Although Lena definitely is something for the eyes, too ;)

If you like female singer-songwriters, I highly recommend Tina Dico to you - got to know her some weeks ago from the linked performance in German TV. She's also very amazing.

It doesn't have the 3000 BC and 600 AD scenarios.

Do you have the protestantism graphics yet?

EDIT: Maybe you should look at this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=257923

Is it you who fails to see something here or is it me? Protestantism is already incorporated within the mod. True, with no unique building graphics, but going with the reskins Panopticon ended up (like you seem to suggest) using might be taking a step back. They look real clumsy, no offense.

I like the current crosses, even though I feel they should be flipped.

Protestantism is already incorporated within the mod. True, with no unique building graphics,

My mistake, I haven't played the mod yet.

As long as there are no unique units and building, I suggest using the Christian buildings and units for both religions.
Not to be antisemitic, but it's just wrong to use the Jewish ones.

Are you guys female? :eek:

Cool modmod, it's almost a not a modmod anymore.

Do you have the protestantism graphics yet?

EDIT: Maybe you should look at this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=257923
It's all in the manual :lol:

No, I'm not female. And as already stated, Protestantism is already in the mod. It just needs fitting buttons (same as now, with a recolored cross). Graphics for the buildings simply will stay the same.

I'd like to make it so that the Apostolic palace locates the Catholic holy city to its city when it's build, to reproduce the situation of the 600 AD scenario.
Is AP a Catholic wonder only? Or can it be built with any state religion? Otherwise it will be weird if the Catholic holy city relocates to a city that doesn't even have Catholicism...

Is AP a Catholic wonder only? Or can it be built with any state religion? Otherwise it will be weird if the Catholic holy city relocates to a city that doesn't even have Catholicism...

I agree. Catholicism must be already present in the city that builds the AP to become the Catholic holy city.

You could apply the same to Protestantism as a 'could-have-been' Protestant Wonder, but maybe that goes too much against the very concept of Protestantism.

Also, if you split Christianity into factions, you should also have an Orthodox branch in Greece and Russia. But that would probably make Christianity too big in the whole game.

For your questions above, I'll cite myself:
Post 1 said:
# Religiously associated wonders now require their respective religion in a city to be built. This was done to decrease historically incorrect wonder locations.
# Catholic wonders: Hagia Sophia, Sistine Chapel, Apostolic Palace, Notre Dame, Cristo Redentor
Useful to keep a changelog around :p
You still have a point, though, because in theory, Arabia and especially Turkey could have a Catholic city and build the AP there. When their state religion is Islam, this would result in a Muslim AP that grants the Catholic holy city. I'll solve that by making Catholic state religion a prerequisite for the AP.

Edit: a WB'ed in Apostolic Palace still doesn't move the holy city with the new code. I'm too lazy to build it myself, and all of the four 3000 BC Mongol starts I got had Catholicism razed or landlocked in Gordion :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom