[Religion and Revolution]: Founding Fathers

Excusez-moi, Robert, mais d'ajouter Nicolas de Villegagnon est la proposition d'Androrc the Orc. Il connaît l'histoire du Brésil et à Rio en particulier, est beaucoup mieux que moi, qui était seulement une couple de fois dans le Rio da Janeiro.

Hehehe, merci :)

In the case we are going to have new graphics for the new founding fathers, this is a depiction of him:

The fortress he built in France Antarctique was known for it's ease of defense, so I suggest he either give a bonus to production of Forts and/or Fortresses, or give a CityDefense bonus.

In regards to Christopher Columbus, Walter Raleigh and Jacques Cartier, I think they would be better represented as leaders rather than founding fathers, since they both were leaders in the original Colonization, and historically governed colonies. In the case of Columbus, there is even a leaderhead of him that has been done for Civ4 and could be used.

I like the idea of having new founding fathers.

In TAC the KI produces points very fast and therefore the FF are assigned very fast after the beginning of a match (I "feel" that it works like this :) )

Is it possible to increase the necessary points for the FF that we will geht new FF at a later point of time in the game?

A few ideas for the developers to consider:

Exploration

Pedro Menéndez de Avilés

Spanish Admiral and Explorer, commander of the Spanish Treasure Fleet based in the Caribbean, founder of St. Augustine.

Provides 2 or 3 galleons, (switch Da Verrazano back to caravels?) or +1 movement for galleon?

Francisco de Orellana

Spanish explorer, discovered Brazil, led famous expedition all the way up the Amazon river, founded Guayaquil.

+1 Line of site/movement for caravel?

Military

Pedro de Valdivia

Spanish explorer and conquistador, explored and conquered Chile, founded Santiago de Chile, notorious for miraculous defenses against relentless attacks by Chilean natives.

Free Garrison promotion for veteran soldiers? +1 strength for all units when defending?

Piet Hein

Dutch Admiral, first vice-admiral of the Dutch West India Company, leader of many successful raids on Portuguese Brazil, famous for victory over a huge Spanish treasure fleet at Battle of Matanzas, off the coast of Cuba, considered one of the first privateers before the concept was created.

Makes Frigates (or merchantmen) capture cargo like privateers or
+1 strength/ +1 movement for merchantmen

Religion

Miguel Hidalgo

Mexican priest that declared independence from Spain, incited the Mexican Revolution.

Get Lord Baltimore's effect, + Liberty Bells for Churches and Cathedrals

Lord Baltimore gets + Crosses for political buildings.

Tomé de Sousa

Portuguese soldier/governor of Brazil, tasked with re-establishing order in the colony at a time when it was largely neglected by the Portuguese government which was focused on the East Indies, known for bringing the first Jesuits to Brazil.

Provides 2 Jesuits and 2 Veteran Soldiers

Economy

Jean Talon

French administrator of Quebec, known for 'rescue' of New France when it was weakened by mercantilist policies, Indian wars, and declining population. When appointed as intendant of New France, he brought with him to the colony a large number of settlers, as intendant, he reduced reliance on the fur trade, introducing large scale agriculture and shipbuilding.

Provides 2 expert farmers and 4 free colonists

Samuel Blommaert

Dutch merchant/naval officer, first director of the Dutch West India Company, led the Dutch colonization of Zwaanendael, modern day Delaware.

Provides 2 or 3 merchantmen?

Tiradentes

Worked for Portuguese government overseeing precious metal/stone production in Minas Gerais in Brazil. Saw abuses by the government, became leader of Brazilian revolutionary movement, known as one of the fathers of Brazil.

Increases gold, silver, gems, production by the tax rate?

Hi guys,

I would like to talk about our Founding Fathers again,
since I really believe, we should add some in Release 1 for reasons of balancing. :)

I have 6 major goals:

1. Balance out Founding Fathers which I believe to be too weak.
2. Bring balance to our new Productionlines compared to the old.
3. Make use of our new Features and Units.
4. Try to pick up the ideas already posted in this thread.
5. Keep the bonusses of the FFs different / unique.
6. Keep the implementation efforts relatively low.

So here is what I suggest:

1. Changes to existing Founding Fathers

John Jay --> Improves relations to all Europeans and all Kings

2. New Founding Fathers
(current list of the ones not implemented yet)

not sure how to use them

Jean de Brebeuf
Walter Raleigh
Michiel de Ruyter
Benjamin Rush

---------------

Red: Programming needed.

---------------

Possible distribution:

Spoiler :

Economy: 6

Gabriel de Clieu
John August Sutter
Jakob Fugger
Jean Talon
Samuel Blommaert
Michiel de Ruyter

Exploration: 6

William Barents
Jacques Cartier
Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada
Ferdinand Magellan
Piet Heyn
Pedro Menéndez de Avilés

Military: 6

Francisco de Orellana
Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben
Paul Revere
Benjamin Lincoln
Pedro de Valdivia
Walter Raleigh

Religion: 6

Charles Caroll
Junipero Serra
Jean de Breboeuf
Tomé de Sousa
Miguel Hidalgo
George Fox

Politics: 6

James Wilson
Thomas Jefferson
Robert Morris
Charles Gravier, comte de Vergennes
Nicolas de Villegagnon
Benjamin Rush

---------------

Comments:

Increasing the total number from 55 to 85 (or even more) might seem a lot, but

1. We would not need to do all of that in Release 1. ;)
2. Our mod really plays in other dimensions (Mapsize, Economy, Immigration Speed, ...)
3. AI is pretty smart and will pick many FFs from that list.

---------------

Feedback or Ideas ? :)

I agree!

I have not checked all consequences of your ideas, but I trust you that you have done a good job.

But...WOW! A lof of images of FF need to be created.:D Creating a picture of a FF in the game style needs some time. One picture in good quality might need approx. between 2 and 4 hours - assumed that already a good basis exists. But I like creating pictures of new FF.

I have not checked all consequences of your ideas, but I trust you that you have done a good job.

Thanks. :)

But...WOW! A lof of images of FF need to be created.:D

As I said, we do not need to create all of these FFs for Release 1.

- assumed that already a good basis exists. But I like creating pictures of new FF.

Some images of FFs are in the transfer folder.
Maybe they are useful. :dunno:

But I like creating pictures of new FF.

Great. :thumbsup:

Edit:

I will try to link the FFs I suggested to Wikipedia-Articles.

Yes, they are usefull.

A usefull picture (basis for my work) should fulfil some requirements:

- the bigger the better (if possible not smaler then 300x300 pixel)
- coloured
- frontal or sidewise illustration
- only little pixel mistakes / good quality

Here is a very good example (Paul Revere):

Every team member is invited to upload examples into the transfer folder :)

@Schmiddie:

Maybe we should wait a little for more feedback and ideas, before you put too much efforts into the graphics. :thumbsup:
It would really be a pitty, if you spend hours on a graphic for a FF and we later on won't use them in our mod ...

I will not start work on new FF in the next months!;) As I said, I will be on vacation the next 3 weeks and after that I will be very busy until October...

@team and community:

I have linked the Founding Fathers in this post with wikipedia articles.

It would really be great if somebody could help collecting high quality images for the ones we don't yet have graphics (DDS). :thumbsup:
(example of perfect quality, see here)

It would of course be fantastic if somebody could even create the DDS needed. :)

Further suggestions for other Founding Father candidates are welcome too, of course.

Ray,

If you need someone to do bio's for founding fathers let me know, I'll try to squeeze them in while continuing to work on improving and adding text.:)

If you need someone to do bio's for founding fathers let me know, I'll try to squeeze them in while continuing to work on improving and adding text.:)

I think it will not make sense to try adding new FFs for Release 1. :dunno:
We should have more graphics first but Schmiddie and KJ are busy.

Improving and adding texts for Release 1 is currently much more important. :thumbsup:

But if you want to, you could start collecting bios for FFs after Release 1.
We also need to collect good graphics as base for the DDS then.

Hi guys here are some pictures I found of founding fathers.

Thomas Jefferson
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/T_Jefferson_by_Charles_Willson_Peale_1791_2.jpg

Thomas Jefferson by Charles Wilson Peale.jpg

Sir Walter Raleigh
http://indianapublicmedia.org/harmonia/harmonia-time-capsule-1618/
http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Bios/WalterRaleigh(Sir).htm

TC-1618-Sir_Walter_Ralegh_cropped.jpg Raleigh,Walter(Sir)02.jpg
Jacob Fugger
http://withpics.com/keyword/jakob+fugger

untitled.png

Michiel de Ruyter
http://members.chello.nl/cvpopering/nl/berg%20op%20zoom/tismewat.html

m%20de%20ruyter.jpg

Great!

I think more are welcome, how many FF do you plan to create?
55 to 85 (or even more) might seem a lot, but

1. We would not need to do all of that in Release 1.
2. Our mod really plays in other dimensions (Mapsize, Economy, Immigration Speed, ...)
3. AI is pretty smart and will pick many FFs from that list.
For me it's ok to do that number, the biggest thing will be the implementation. So it's your decision which images you want to do first. All are great images with high quality to work with them, so I have no preference.

I do think that political FF should take less priority than the rest since political points are needed for all FFs and therefore you will not take so political FFs than others...

Thanks a lot for your willingness to help us here. :bowdown:

I think more are welcome, how many FF do you plan to create ?

I think, going from 55 to 85 should be enough for a while. :)

For me it's ok to do that number, the biggest thing will be the implementation.

I would like to do the implementation.
Maybe colonialfan can help with bios and historical data (Colopedia).
Some of our partners might help to collect further good graphics.

So it's your decision which images you want to do first. All are great images with high quality to work with them, so I have no preference.

Ok. :thumbsup:

I do think that political FF should take less priority than the rest since political points are needed for all FFs and therefore you will not take so political FFs than others...

It is probably better to mix the "disciplines" considering order of creation. :think:
(Will probably result in better gameplay for the partners that test with SVN revisions.)

Would you like to start with these ?

Paul Revere
Michiel de Ruyter
Jakob Fugger
Thomas Jefferson

Otherwise I suggest to create DDS of the Founding Fathers we already have images in:
...\transfer\Founding_Fathers\Images

In the meantime, we can continue looking for good images for the other Founding Fathers.

You can simply commit the DDS to our SVN in this folder when you are done:
...\transfer\Founding_Fathers\DDS_ready_for_use

Thanks again. :)

The proposed 85 founding fathers looks awesome!
Will definitely spice up the game when all of them are implemented :goodjob:

Yes, they are usefull.

A usefull picture (basis for my work) should fulfil some requirements:

- the bigger the better (if possible not smaler then 300x300 pixel)
- coloured
- frontal or sidewise illustration
- only little pixel mistakes / good quality

Here is a very good example (Paul Revere):

Every team member is invited to upload examples into the transfer folder :)

But what's Jack Black doing with that tea pot??

Top Bottom