Do You Want XCOM Squad in game?

Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters
I would bet that most people who follow civ 5 close enough to nitpick one unit being added are probably big enough fans to buy the expansion regardless of one unit. I am thinking this unit won't affect sales in any noticable way.

I suppose it depends on what other units they have added, oh and if the Zulu or in or not. Otherwise I will be quite content with GnK. I will buy BNW later when on sale or cheap. I've always been the first to say I'd buy the new version of civ since Civ III came out. This time I don't feel the same. I am not as an enthusiastic about it.

One thing that makes me feel that way is how they give us only a dribble of info even less than with GnK. They never really took any questions during PAX. To tell you the truth it was rather lame. Then the XCOM squad was very unexciting, They took someone elses idea and added it into this game instead of using their own imagination and building something new and interesting. I know it does not sound pleasing, but I am being honest about how I feel.

Can we have a poll on whether we're tired of all these polls?
I'll start a poll to ask if we should have a poll on that. :lol:

Honestly though, it's a unit that comes in so late in game it shouldn't really matter. It's no worse than the GDR. I'm surprised there's such a big fuss over it.

Does one usually make it that far in the game? My games are usually over before I can build GDRs...

People can make it that far into the game. That's like arguing that high performance cars could be banned without much worry as "people will be on the normal roads anyhow". It takes a personal set of circumstances of roughly applies them to the entire set, ignoring any other set of circumstances.

People can make it that far into the game. That's like arguing that high performance cars could be banned without much worry as "people will be on the normal roads anyhow". It takes a personal set of circumstances of roughly applies them to the entire set, ignoring any other set of circumstances.

I'd say it's more like setting a speed limit. Cars can go faster (and those who can lose a bit of enjoyment) but it's better overall. People don't usually make it that far but here's a unit to use against GDRs if you don't have Uranium.

It's gameplay at the slight cost of flavor. And ultimately the name can be easily changed.

Unless of course a 1/3 of the people didnt buy the expansion because a useless unit was added in when so many other things need attention. Then their would be an uproar.

If 52 people constitute 1/3 of the people who would buy this game, Firaxis has bigger problems than this unit.

One thing that makes me feel that way is how they give us only a dribble of info even less than with GnK. They never really took any questions during PAX.

The game was announced 10 days ago. If I recall correctly, at this point last time, PAX hadn't even happened. So we actually have more information earlier than we did then. We also got three civs both times. Your memory is better than mine if you remember if they revealed everything about the civs when they showed them.

Yes indeed my friend! Far better! :lol:

Next maybe they'll give us the Battlestar Galactica or the USS Enterprise NC-1701. Why not? How about the Death Star! :lol:

Firaxis should have used the time adding in an XCOM unit to making sure each civ gets its own great people. Instead of Patton being spawned as German, or Chinese, or Russian general (In a previous game of mine he was Spanish). I think he would be apalled by that. Especially, a Russian general. He could not stand the Russians. In any case, there are so many things they have made better. They certainly could add some depth to espionage for one thing.

Getting random GPs 'out of place' is a large part of the character of GPs, and no sillier than getting them in entirely the wrong era.

Can we have a poll on whether we're tired of all these polls?

I second this :p. Some people seem to have sense of humour bypass when it comes to Civilization games - this tongue-in-cheek XCOM unit couldn't be less important.

Although I guess when it's this early in the game, what little information there is kind of makes it hard to keep a sense of proportion about insignificant parts of what looks to be a very interesting expansion.

If 52 people constitute 1/3 of the people who would buy this game, Firaxis has bigger problems than this unit.

The game was announced 10 days ago. If I recall correctly, at this point last time, PAX hadn't even happened. So we actually have more information earlier than we did then. We also got three civs both times. Your memory is better than mine if you remember if they revealed everything about the civs when they showed them.

We got more attention, let's put it that way. The thing is they are not as far ahead as they were last year. So, again, they did not have to rush the announcement until they had something more in depth to tell us. Not just some bugged demo. Why rush? It is annoying. Rush patches, dribble info, never talk to the community for months, overlook bugs some of which have been present since vanilla. New bugs are found and passed over. The AI is still rather stupid, and now it will deal with organizing tourism and culture, not to mention trade routes. It can't even do half of what it has on its plate now man. :rolleyes:

Now there are 57 people, sales are really skyrocketing for Firaxis since my last post. :p

Getting random GPs 'out of place' is a large part of the character of GPs, and no sillier than getting them in entirely the wrong era.
That I can live with it is rather comical. They could fix that though. I am surprised they haven't made a mod that corrected that. In CiIV I had one for a scenario I created. It worked out the generals at least.

GnK's PAX happened on April and they didn't reveal everything until the closing months, and even then we still didn't get to touch them until the game came out - rams, OP Austrian Marriage, all the religion choices and pantheons etc.

I definitely agree that it was a tad bit too short this year, but that just means that they'll show off more stuff in the coming weeks

I split your quote mid-sentence because you're talking about two very, very different things. The first is about info for the expansion, the second is not.

We got more attention, let's put it that way. The thing is they are not as far ahead as they were last year. So, again, they did not have to rush the announcement until they had something more in depth to tell us. Not just some bugged demo. Why rush? It is annoying. Rush patches, dribble info,

Why do you want everything at once? To me, it seems better to give us the opportunity to discuss everything before we move on to something else. Otherwise, the information really will be blink and you miss it. Some of us enjoy dissecting screenshots to get all possible information ;)

never talk to the community for months, overlook bugs some of which have been present since vanilla. New bugs are found and passed over. The AI is still rather stupid, and now it will deal with organizing tourism and culture, not to mention trade routes. It can't even do half of what it has on its plate now man. :rolleyes:

See, this complaint has absolutely nothing to do with how quickly they give us new information. Although, for what it's worth, they could stop right there and have three civs and both your complaints about dribbling out info and working on new things would be resolved. Would you buy that expansion since it satisfies your complaints? :p

I don't see the big deal. Yes, it's fictional, but so are other parts of the game that are more important (there is no Utopia Project irl, and the world won't bow before you because you sent someone to space). Yes, it's cross marketing, but so what? I want the Civ franchise and the X-Com franchise to succeed commercially, because I want more sequels and continued game support. If these series can find funny, trivial ways to scratch each others' backs, I say they go for it.

This is a slippery slope. Let them put XCOM in the game and the next thing you know there will be giant bipedal nuclear robots in the game.

I don't care, but voted yes because I find people are getting way too crotchety about something that ultimately doesn't matter.

This is a slippery slope. Let them put XCOM in the game and the next thing you know there will be giant bipedal nuclear robots in the game.

Slippery slope arguments go both ways. For example: If they take XCOM units out because of a few complainers, the next thing you know, they will just remove every thing a few people complain about and all that will be left is a game with two civs with one warrior each.

I split your quote mid-sentence because you're talking about two very, very different things. The first is about info for the expansion, the second is not.

Why do you want everything at once? To me, it seems better to give us the opportunity to discuss everything before we move on to something else. Otherwise, the information really will be blink and you miss it. Some of us enjoy dissecting screenshots to get all possible information ;)

See, this complaint has absolutely nothing to do with how quickly they give us new information. Although, for what it's worth, they could stop right there and have three civs and both your complaints about dribbling out info and working on new things would be resolved. Would you buy that expansion since it satisfies your complaints? :p

The info and demo we saw at PAX was lame dude. With a whole new expanxsion they could have told us some more and spent more time with the community. Other games get hours of coverage. Why not civ? They dont need to tell us everything but certainly more than they did.

On your second part. My comment never focused on how long it takes them to give us info. They don't do some things at all. I will say that now that you mention it. I was just stating other things they do which are annoying is all.

This isn't actually the first Civ/XCom crossover, Civ II: Fantastic Worlds had an Xcom scenario, and XCom aliens appeared in Civ II's wonder videos.

Slippery slope arguments go both ways. For example: If they take XCOM units out because of a few complainers, the next thing you know, they will just remove every thing a few people complain about and all that will be left is a game with two civs with one warrior each.

I think you missed the joke behind Gort's comment.

And they have already started removing things because a few people complained...the Pueblo civ. :D

I would love the xcom unit to be removed, and add a more realistic 40 range predator drone unit (as another thread suggested) to the game. I would rejoice if those large bipedal nuclear robots did go too.

I think you missed the joke behind Gort's comment.

And they have already started removing things because a few people complained...the Pueblo civ. :D

I would love the xcom unit to be removed, and add a more realistic 40 range predator drone unit (as another thread suggested) to the game. I would rejoice if those large bipedal nuclear robots did go too.

Oops, I think I did miss the fact that bipedal nuclear robots are already in the game. I wasn't serious about what I said either. I was just giving an example of an opposing extreme slippery slope arguement.

I think the whole Pueblo thing was out of respect for the way the Pueblo people want their culture portrayed. That's a whole lot different than listening to a few whiney gamers. (I'm not excluding myself from the whiney gamer group. I wanted to see a lot of civs over Brazil :cry:)

As someone who likes having the GDR and Xcom units in the game, I still would prefer more realistic units like the drone and even more realistic fictional future units... if that makes any sense. However, if the only future units I get are giant robots and marketing tie-in infantry, I'll take them over nothing. I think they serve a good purpose of helping conclude any game that managed to get that far.

I still want full blown future eras though.

Top Bottom