To the Creators of Better Bat AI, BAT, BUG, Etc

Makonnen91

Chieftain
Thank you.

I've been into to the Civ series since I was 15. 8 years now. I know that pales in comparison to some.

I went from Civ 3 to IV and eventually to V with all expansions. Loved the first 2, and tried my darndest to love V. With 3 and 4 there was no trying needed.I spent all my Civ V trying to love the game I stopped playing V a few months ago after it just never clicked with me.

Recently I had an itch for more civ and thought I'd throw in the 'ol Civ IV complete disc. I boot it up and change the opening menu so that 'Baba Yetu" plays and then quickly boot up a game just to re introduce my self to the games aesthetics and feel. Insta-Magic. It just clicked.

Before I left for V a while back I was loving a combo of the mods in this threads title and then found Better Bat AI which was my favorite. Now I come back a few years later to find it's still being updated. Incredible.
It seems Civ 4 was made with so much passion and that same passion is taken on by its players and especially the modding community.

Thanks guys and gals.

On behalf of all of us. You're welcome and thank you for using our mods. :)

Try K-mod as well... it incorporates a bunch of these along with much better AI and a whole raft of minor tweaks that make the game more balanced and fun to play (Serfdom being actually useful, for example). It's the ultimate version of Civ 4, without altering the essence of the gameplay.

Yeah, I would like to add my thanks as well. I use BUG and it really makes the game less tedius. I appreciate things that work well and it is a very nice piece of software.

Try K-mod as well... it incorporates a bunch of these along with much better AI and a whole raft of minor tweaks that make the game more balanced and fun to play (Serfdom being actually useful, for example). It's the ultimate version of Civ 4, without altering the essence of the gameplay.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll def be looking into it.

I'm kinda late to the party but BUG is awesome. I just wish someone could give me a few bullet points on what to do to get BUG to have an auto end turn like in A New Dawn or Caveman2Cosmos. I did well enough to actually put a check box in the options for it but it doesn't work. The tutorial page only links me to download BUG 4.4 again.

Just my two cents but if some guy is making a thread like this and congratulating people on a job well doen its kinda rude to recommend another mod in the same thread. yeah, kmod is good and all, but this thread is about BUG and other stuff and kudos to those who make it.

Just my two cents but if some guy is making a thread like this and congratulating people on a job well doen its kinda rude to recommend another mod in the same thread. yeah, kmod is good and all, but this thread is about BUG and other stuff and kudos to those who make it.

OP is thanking "the Creators of Better Bat AI, BAT, BUG, Etc"... so that is 3 distinct mods, plus similar mods, and all the people responsible. I am sure K-mod falls within the definition of "Etc" in this context. Particularly since BUG is part of K-mod, and BBAI is the basis of K-mod's AI, so those creators can take credit for it.

OP is thanking "the Creators of Better Bat AI, BAT, BUG, Etc"... so that is 3 distinct mods, plus similar mods, and all the people responsible. I am sure K-mod falls within the definition of "Etc" in this context. Particularly since BUG is part of K-mod, and BBAI is the basis of K-mod's AI, so those creators can take credit for it.

Absolutely. I did some reading and saw K-mod includes BUG and Better AI, but with further enhancements and game play tweaks.

Its crazy though because I have yet to start a full fledged game. Civ 4 has always been my most intimidating game to come back and play after a long absence.

Particularly since BUG is part of K-mod, and BBAI is the basis of K-mod's AI, so those creators can take credit for it.
I dunno about the rest of the BUG team or the Better AI guys but I think you'll hvae a real hard time getting Lemon Merchant to take credit for anything in k-mod.

Are the mods that different?

The mods are different, but I don't think that is Gurn's point. It doesn't matter that Karadoc used BUG components or BAT components, or parts of BetterAI. The point is that in addition to that, he rewrote the DLL to do more things and be better at them. The only person that can take credit for k-mod is Karadoc.

Modders (usually) don't take credit for another modder's work. In fact, if you use a portion of another's mod, you often need permission, and at the very least must give credit. It's just good manners. I make the BAT Mod and Better BAT AI, but I assemble them from other mods here and there, and add a little bit of my own material and code. If you look at the credits page, you'll see the sources. In fact, both BAT and Better BAT AI have a splash panel when you start a new game with the copyrights in it like this:

BBAI0000.JPG

This is meant to acknowledge the main contributors to the mod, and to give them credit in a prominent way. That being said, Better BAT AI is MY mod, just like k-mod is Karadoc's. If he uses a chunk of BAT in his mod, I would expect him to acknowledge where he got it from, but I can't claim any credit for k-mod because of it. It's his work, not mine.

Do you see the distinction?

The mods are different, but I don't think that is Gurn's point. It doesn't matter that Karadoc used BUG components or BAT components, or parts of BetterAI. The point is that in addition to that, he rewrote the DLL to do more things and be better at them. The only person that can take credit for k-mod is Karadoc.

Modders (usually) don't take credit for another modder's work. In fact, if you use a portion of another's mod, you often need permission, and at the very least must give credit. It's just good manners. I make the BAT Mod and Better BAT AI, but I assemble them from other mods here and there, and add a little bit of my own material and code. If you look at the credits page, you'll see the sources. In fact, both BAT and Better BAT AI have a splash panel when you start a new game with the copyrights in it like this:

View attachment 380115

This is meant to acknowledge the main contributors to the mod, and to give them credit in a prominent way. That being said, Better BAT AI is MY mod, just like k-mod is Karadoc's. If he uses a chunk of BAT in his mod, I would expect him to acknowledge where he got it from, but I can't claim any credit for k-mod because of it. It's his work, not mine.

Do you see the distinction?

I do. I read his response as "Lemon wouldn't have her name associated with the mod" I took it as negative. Misinterpreted.

I do. I read his response as "Lemon wouldn't have her name associated with the mod" I took it as negative. Misinterpreted.

Oh goodness, I wish I had helped Karadoc in even some small way. It's one of the most successful mods out there. :lol:

I think Gurn just sounded negative because he's upset with this thread. He's my friend in r/l, and my beta tester for BAT and BBATAI, and he was a little annoyed that someone would bring up another mod when you were using a thread to congratulate the BUG team. I've spoken to him at length about it, and I've decided that he was just being a little protective (over-protective :p ) over the whole thing. He's like the big brother I never had.

Personally, I don't care what mods people talk about. It's not worth getting anyone's knickers in a twist. ;)

BAT cannot get enuf praises, the balance between pretty and useful improvements of the base game but also not changing too much..you can be very proud of that ;)

Agreed. I've had my best memories with this mod.

Top Bottom