I need a victory shortcut

I like to have some sort of 'record of accomplishment'. In other words, quitting just because I know the game is won doesn't really do it for me, I want that entry in the log.

If I was a conquest guy the domination shortcut would do just fine. When you hold this much of the world there is no doubt that you would eventually mop up the rest, so the win is given and recorded and you move on. Unfortunately I find the whole war making aspect of not just Civ 4 but Civ games in general to be among the least entertaining parts.

So where's the shortcut for the science guy? If you are five techs ahead and teching faster than anyone else at liberalism there's no doubt you are going to win. You'll be off to Alpha Centauri while your opposition is pondering the miracle of flight. If they try to attack you your modern military will crush them like bugs, with the occasional freakish spearman killing one of your tanks, of course.

By the time I play that all the way out I have invariably sworn to never do it again. But I always do. I need a 'crushing tech advantage' victory condition. Like 'if you progress out of an age before anyone else even progresses into it, you win. Doesn't that seem definitive enough?

hmmm I'm not sure in 100% but hitting the "retire" button in the options menu should give You a log entry ;)

But that goes down as a loss.

Yep. I tried that once.
Well ... but at least You see score, the timeline, the title and all that stuff hehe ;)

Mybe someone could make a mod where You can research instant-win technology which requires like 2 future tech's or so ... ;)

Just what would be a big enough lead?

All the people here that have posted how they were just edged out on space by a culture victory.

Or being beat when all your parts are sabotaged.

It ain't over till it's over.

victory shortcut? Nukes. When getting way ahead, beeline nukes, and claim a conquest victory easily. When you have nukes and others don't, a couple of nukes can cause capitulation (just im for their big stacks. Capitulate them, then move onto the next one. Quick and easy.

Just what would be a big enough lead?

All the people here that have posted how they were just edged out on space by a culture victory.

Or being beat when all your parts are sabotaged.

It ain't over till it's over.

It ain't over til it's over...except when it is. I'm not talking about a shortcut for when you have some opponent to race against...but you know as well as anyone that those cases are hardly universal. They may not even be the norm.

@Traiaus...that's an option. I have a hard time playing the entire game not aiming at domination and then just shifting to it to get out of playing it out though. Gives me pretty much the same 'don't want to do that again' feeling either way.

There is a couple of mods that have a Sci vic (as well as a few other victory options), maybe give one of them a try?

There is a couple of mods that have a Sci vic (as well as a few other victory options), maybe give one of them a try?

Might do that. Particularly if the right person PMed me some hints on what mods offer what. Actually playing my first mod now (other than BAT/BUG?BetterAI, which I consider more vanillaplus than modded). In fact it is while grinding along towards whatever end awaits humanity in Planetfall that I thought 'there has to be a better way'.

Ever tried a culture victory?

AP cheese?

AP cheese?

I did that once just to prove I could. I pretty much started from ground zero with that as a target though. I have been playing 25 civs on a huge map for quite a while and I suspect the AP cheese might be tough to pull off. Might try it again.

The game gets boring really fast (at least my games) when Astronomy is in (foreign trade routes).
The economy gets a huge boost (more income than costs) and this is the main problem in the early game (expansion costs).
Most of the land tiles have been improved.
The relations between the other AIs are also clear and in most games you can't win diplomatic.
So, what is left? Repetition!
Checking the tech trade screen, city management focus on production for the space race and press end of turn. (It's almost like playing civ 5.)
Now, the worst part of the late game is turn times. More waiting than playing.
Hours go by fast when going for a space victory.

Top Bottom