The New World: Europe To America Map

Bugfatty300

Buddha Squirrel
This is a 156x262 map of North and South America, Western Europe and West Africa.

Like my 190x190 Europe Map, this one is another conversion of an existing map. El Mencey's 362x325 map to be exact and give credit.

NOTE: The Continents look compressed in the mini-map, but as you know, this is due to having the mini map always forming a rectangle. This I think it gives the Mini-map the look of 1500th century charts which adds a little to the type of scenarios that this map is intended for.:cool:

Anyway, I never liked the map used in the Age of Discovery scenario that came with C3C.

It seemed too small to represent the vastness that North and South America offered to the early European exploreres and colonists.

This map is much, much larger than the original Age of Discovery map. I think it really gives a sense of vastness that the other didn't offer.

For example, it takes ships alot longer to reach North And South America and rounding cape horn should truly give you the same sense of accomplishment that Megellan and Drake must of had.:D.....Well maybe not but you get the idea. Plus it also gives European Civs alot more room to move around and develope.

Enjoy

Attachments

• New World Mini.JPG
    New World Mini.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 2,093
And here is the download.

Attachments

• The New World.zip
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,650
Rambuchan said:
Now we can have the Africans properly included in the Age of Discoveries! Hoorah!

I'll probably have 2 or 3 African Civs in my own AoD scenario. The Zulu and maybe Mali or Songhai.

Cool, make sure you cats release your revised AoD scenarios when they're finished, eh?

There is a certain someone around here Bugfatty, not me, who had plans to plump the Kongo down in that scenario. It's a good idea in my book. You know Heart of Darkness and all that did exist before Conrad wrote the book. But such a kingdom they should be impenetrable and unreachable for the time period of the AoD of course.

Ah! Yes. I think Kongo would be the obvious choice of African civs to put in for an Age of Discovery scenario, since that was the first major civilisation to be encountered in Africa. It would make more sense than Mali or Songhai, who were in the interior and therefore more remote. Then you might put in Dahmoney or Benin, plus Angola. These are the civs that actually interacted with the Europeans ("interacted" being perhaps a bit of a euphemism here!).

Really good ideas Rambi and Plotinus.

What would be a good noun/adjetive name for the Kongo civ? Kongoese maybe?

Congolese is what they refer to themselves these days (previously it was Zairians of course as it was not the Congo.)

EDIT: The other thing which is of course missing from the official AoD was the north African Islamic empires. Fez, Sultanate of Egypt etc etc etc.... :shakehead like they weren't a massive part of the birth of the Age of Discovery. :rolleyes:

Rambuchan said:
Congolese is what they refer to themselves these days (previously it was Zairians of course as it was not the Congo.)

EDIT: The other thing which is of course missing from the official AoD was the north African Islamic empires. Fez, Sultanate of Egypt etc etc etc.... :shakehead like they weren't a massive part of the birth of the Age of Discovery. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I think the game AoD subsitutes them by making the Sahara deserts impassible. Total Suckage.:rolleyes:

Edit: And who could forget the Iroquois having mounted warriors in 1490!:lol:

Btw I wanted so bad to include all of Africa and the West coast of India to make more complete AoD/Colonial expansion map. But I figured it would have been too big with too many civs to include. Eastern Europe, Ottomans, countless sultinates and caliphates ect.

Bugfatty300 said:
Btw I wanted so bad to include all of Africa and the West coast of India to make more complete AoD/Colonial expansion map. But I figured it would have been too big with too many civs to include. Eastern Europe, Ottomans, countless sultinates and caliphates ect.
I was actually going to edit in a point about how it would be good to have some kind of lure to the Horn of Africa, indicating the desire to get round to India and China. Europeans were actually trying this before they were striving for the Americas.

And nice one on TLC for the old Kongo info. Dunno if it is correct but sounds good.

could you upload this as a worldbuilder file? I have a mac so i need the specific file type

Cadbro, the thread is almost 5 years old. From looking at his profile, Bugfatty has not been on in quite a while. The file type is likely to be .biq, since he/she is mentioning the Age of Discovery scenario that came with Civ3 Conquests. If you want, I will toss it into my Windows editor and send it you to, once I know the file type for certain. I am on Macs for the most part as well. What program do you have for mapmaking, by the way?

Top Bottom