Best civ4 mod to download?

ginge51

Chieftain
Hi all :)

I really enjoy playing the civ games, always have done.
But what is the best mod to download and install for civ 4?
I have all the expansions :)

The best add on mod has to be RevolutionsDCM by glider1. Over time empires might become unstable and if improperly managed they might have some cities revolt, possibly even go into civil war. There are other included mods in it such as better AI, Dales Combat Mod that adds ranged attacks and stack combat, and Influence Driven War-basicaly borders are influenced by combat.

The best total conversion mod has to be Fall from Heaven, its a complete fantasy conversion of Civ and the FfH dev team was hired to work on Beyond the Sword. If your more into history, try Rhyes and Fall of Civilizations, its alot like revolutions but things happen close to the historical time.

There are alot of other awsome mods out there, just go to the Modpacks and Projects sub-forums in the Creation and Customization forum.

Depends on what you're looking for, here's my picks:

BUG (BTS unaltered gameplay) improves the UI, makes lots of intuitive little changes without altering gameplay

Better BTS AI makes the AI smarter and less buggy.

Varietas Delectat, Diversica, and other graphic modpacks give you unique unit/city graphics for the different civs (that are comparable to the originals in quality IMO).

RevolutionDCM adds a revolution component + DCM (dale's combat mods) which make combat make more sense IMO.

If you're looking for a totally new experience, try Fall from Heaven, the most popular total conversion mod.

If you just want a single .exe without worrying about integrating various mods, try

Quot Capita (includes the first four things above + Next War)

or

BAT

Legends of Revolution. Incorporates RevDCM and the Wolfshanze mod in one efficient package.

Thanks for the suggestions all :)
But I'm after a mod that is historically accurate?
Like the original but with more stuff if that's possible?

Like the original but with more stuff if that's possible?

If you are after more units, techs, civilizations, wonders, etc., I would suggest the Rise of Mankind mod. While it adds quite a few new features, it is a lot like an expanded version of the standard game. Here is what it contains:

* 288 Techs in tech tree
* 300+ Units total
* 189 Buildings
* 88 Wonders
* 36 National wonders
* 54 Civic options
* 29 Unit categories, modern units are superior to ancient units
* 28 New resources
* 26 Pre made maps included
* 18 New Improvements for terrain/resources
* 5 New Civilizations (55 with extra civ addon pack)
* 5 New Projects
* 4 New Citizen types
* 4 New Religions
* 2 New Civic categories
* 2 New Map sizes: Giant (54% bigger than Huge), Gigantic (50% bigger than Giant ie. 134% bigger than Huge)
* 2 New Gamespeed: Blitz 215 turns, Snail 3000 turns
* 1 New terrain type: Marsh

You would struggle to find a mod out there that adds more quantity to the game than Rise of Mankind. ;)

Mods have their various visions.

Rhyes and Fall of Civilization went for more chronological accuracy/ historical realism.

Wolfshanze set out to improve both gameplay and historical realism ( He has an advanced degree in history). He no longer frequents CFC, others were trying to keep it going, but it may not be 3.19 compatible.

Legends of Revolution tried to make an unofficial expansion, and stayed true to the series. It incorporates much of Wolfshanze's work
( like coal navies), adds some really fun things like legendary units( which are sort of like world wonders& great generals rolled into one), and the super spies mod( which allows spies to gain promotions).

History in the Making tried to offer more of everything, including game speeds, map sizes, civics, 2nd UUs and buildings, wonders, corps, resources, religions, random events, victory types, special forces, air units( Grave is active duty USAF), and of course civs and leaders. It also changed a lot of things including traits & tech requirements in a re-balancing effort. It's a lot of extra stuff, great gameplay, but it's different from the original/official. ( and no, it doesn't add as much stuff as Rise of Mankind )

BUG is an Unaltered Gameplay mod, which improves the interface without changing the game. Influence Driven War is a mod in which combat affects control of a tile. Dale's Combat Mod affects bombardment ( Dale was an artilleryman ). These are popular inclusions found in many modpacks, including Legends of Revolution and History in the Making ( the two modpacks I play more than the official version ).

I hope this helps.

Yes, you definitely want the BUG mod. It's a must have as far as I'm concerned. So much so that many mods are incorporating into their own.

Yes, you definitely want the BUG mod. It's a must have as far as I'm concerned. So much so that many mods are incorporating into their own.
True but BUG is unaltered gameplay. I doubt anyone asking for advice on a mod is looking for that. (unless they specifically are asking about interface improvements).

You would struggle to find a mod out there that adds more quantity to the game than Rise of Mankind. ;)

quantity != quality

Personally I found RoM to be a bit incoherent, and not properly balanced. Just too much, and a bit confusing. Which is why I started working with the Wolfshanze mod.

Though, if your goal is mostly to find MAOR stuff! then RoM is definately what you are looking for. Also keep in mind that RoM is second only in popularity to FFH2, with over 100K downloads, so it must be doing something right.

Wolfshanze set out to improve both gameplay and historical realism ( He has an advanced degree in history). He no longer frequents CFC, others were trying to keep it going, but it may not be 3.19 compatible.

WolfRevolution is up to date (Wolfshanze + RevDCM). Though Wolfshanze has disapeared, so development has stopped. Because of this, I created LoR (found in my sig). And is the mod I recommend, not just because I am the main developer, but it really is a very coherent, and well designed mod. It's general feel and gameplay is like the change from Vanilla Civ4 to Beyond the Sword.

Though, currently RevDCM has a bug with events. This of course effects all the RevDCM based mods (Legends of Revolution, Rise of Mankind, Quote Capita, History in the Making, Dune Wars, etc, etc. In my opinion RevDCM based mods are the only ones worth playing, except FFH2, but FFH2 is really it's own game). Anyway just want to be upfront about this issue since every bug report I've gotten so far relates to this. Other then that LoR is pretty much one of the most stable mods around. Though Quote Capita is likely just as stable as LoR.

In addition to the mods mentioned, if you're into sci fi, you might want to check out Star Trek 2.0, which includes multiple scenarios.;)

Rise Of Mankind is GREAT!
It really gives you much more, if you get bored to normal CIV experience.
...and it is easy to go back if that is too much for you.

BUG and BAT, both are excellent mods.

I don't see as many recommending FfH2 here as I thought... probably they're all too busy playing the mod. I'd recommend that if you want a totally awesome fantasy conversion.
On the other hand, I'd also recommend Rhye's and Fall of Civilization (the latest version, found in their development forum) if you want lots of historical accuracy. Both of the mods I recommended however have very steep learining curves.

EDIT: Dang, I can't believe I forgot about THE HISTORY OF THE THREE KINGDOMS. Definitely one of the greatest historical mods out there. You don't even have to be interested in that period of Chinese history to love the mod. Heck, it even inspired me to buy a few $30 books (and I'm really stingy). It really adds new features to the game, like the Legion system. It's really polished too, despite it's relative recent appearence compared to the other mods.

Yeah, if you like fantasy you might like Warhammer Fantasy Battles, or if your into sci-fi, theres the Star Trek mod, and Masters of Orion 2. I haven't played that one much so I cant comment on it.

Fall from Heaven II.
For total conversions, Mars Now! and History of the Three Kingdoms are great too.

Just getting back into Civ4. What essential mods are there that don't change the fundamentals of the game?

BUG

Also BetterAI merged with BUG is unaltered game rules, and could be considered essential. (alot of stuff in the 3.19 patch comes from BetterAI).

I really consider IDW essential though as well, but that definatly alters the game (IDW makes battles effect borders).

CIV Gold adds a ton of civs, including UUs, UBs and leaders. (V. 5.0 is imminent, but that'll still be 3.17.)

Hi all :)

I really enjoy playing the civ games, always have done.
But what is the best mod to download and install for civ 4?
I have all the expansions :)

Just getting back into Civ4. What essential mods are there that don't change the fundamentals of the game?

Hi.

I can make a few suggestions for you, ive tried most of the mods mentioned and they really do bring increased loading times between turns, errors and lag. I only play using a few mods that do not cause these problems. The below mods have really increased my gaming experiance and dont change the fundamentals.
  • Varietas Delectat v6.1 - Changes the graphics of units to be ethincally diverse. Example would be all fighter jets are unique and accurate to their respective civilization. There is a small extra content mod included in this one that can be chosen to be installed, it brings a few extra units for modern era. You could always install the modern unit expansion and if you dont like the few units it adds you can always reinstall and choose not to have it.
  • BUG 3.6 - The best mod out there. It changes absolutely nothing but helps you play the game more efficiently. ( Do not download the mod BAT 1.2 inside this link)
  • King Kong's Flags & Colours Mod - Makes all flags accurate and real. Example would be you get the star and stripes flag for USA instead of the normal 1 star flag.
  • Blue Marble This makes all the terrain look awesome. The screenshots inside the link show how great this one is.

I recently put these four mods combined into my folders, they all work really well together. Its easy to combine them if your new to the mod section, simply install patch 3.19, install BUG 3.6, install Blue marble, install Varietas Delectat v6.1 and then to add the flags do this. Then to play just load the Varietas Delectat v6.1 mod.

I can suggest another MOD that will definatly bring increased loading times. It totally revamps the game and adds loads of new realistic features. Examples would be new resources, techs, units, promotions etc. Think of it as normal BTS on steroids. Out of the mods that do change a lot, i have found it to be the best one.

Enjoy.

Top Bottom