After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

Found out today that you can't paradrop from forts of civilizations that you have open borders with. You can paradrop drop from their cities though.

I'm pretty sure Lemon is Boudica re-incarnated. Appropriate she plays the Celts.

boudicca_0064_web.jpg

183135.jpg

not seeing the resemblance really, but thier both feisty

Culture generating UBs, which normally don't in their generic counterparts, double their culture automatically at 1000yrs even on capture. For example, Mansa built a colloseum at 300 bc and you, playing as Alexander, conquered it at 1000ad. If the building survives, it is converted to an Odeon that is producing 6 culture points!

What do you mean "If it survives?" Every time I conquer a city, the only things that survive are the wonders. I have to rebuild everything else from scratch. IIRC.

You've just been unlucky then LM. All culture buildings are destroyed automatically, but other buildings have a chance of surviving. Wonders, shrines and academies are kept but no longer produce culture. The only time you can capture a city with a building that produces culture is when your UB produces culture when the normal building doesn't.

I vaguely remember that if you have the most culture in the city you are capturing then all the buildings are kept, but I'm not sure if this is actually true.

That's true. Even foreign national wonders survive and the captured city has no turns to come out of resistance.

When a wonder splash pops up, you don't have to wait until near the end, to find out the benefits of building that wonder. If you click on the bar next to the title of the wonder, and drag towards the middle of the splash, the cultural information and other benefits pop up. The wonder splash continues to run in the background. I found that out by accident today, don't know if that has been posted before...

You've just been unlucky then LM. All culture buildings are destroyed automatically, but other buildings have a chance of surviving. Wonders, shrines and academies are kept but no longer produce culture. The only time you can capture a city with a building that produces culture is when your UB produces culture when the normal building doesn't.

I vaguely remember that if you have the most culture in the city you are capturing then all the buildings are kept, but I'm not sure if this is actually true.

Chiming in... IIRC, culture buildings and military buildings (barracks, walls, stable, etc.) are destroyed, and all other buildings (except wonders) have a 2/3 chance of surviving.

But if your civ has a UB that generates culture but who's normal version does not (Inca Terrace or Greek odeon), then the non-culture producing building (granary or collossium) might survive city capture and be converted to your culture producing UB.

When a wonder splash pops up, you don't have to wait until near the end, to find out the benefits of building that wonder. If you click on the bar next to the title of the wonder, and drag towards the middle of the splash, the cultural information and other benefits pop up. The wonder splash continues to run in the background. I found that out by accident today, don't know if that has been posted before...

Actually, just click on the splash. The description will appear, overlaying the splash.

Just yesterday: Found out that Spain's Conquistadors can actually Fortify, and it's not a bug. -_-

They can?? That would have been very nice to know.

Religions founded and shrines built while a city is in rebellion after conquest produce no culture. I conquer Berlin and leave Frederick with only a small island city off the coast of Berlin. Berlin will be in rebellion for nine turns. During those nine turns I found Confucianism and Taoism. They are both founded in Berlin. I send two great prophets to Berlin to build a double shrine city. When Berlin comes out of rebellion, it is producing 0 culture.

If a city containing max number of aircraft builds more planes, they are automatically rebased to the nearest safe location even if it is a fort. Apparently not a carrier, but a city or fort.

If a city containing max number of aircraft builds more planes, they are automatically rebased to the nearest safe location even if it is a fort. Apparently not a carrier, but a city or fort.

And what happens if you don't have any other cities or forts?

Does anyone know whether buildings required for world wonders always stay when city changes hands?

Top Bottom