After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

I've re-discovered that I suck quite badly at the game, and still get angry at my own mistakes, and not least the game's faults. I suspect it may simply not be quite up my alley any more. Absurd combat results and the game's horrible UI with following "WTF-ness" annoy me way too much for comfort.

Does that count? :(

Other than that, when firing up the game yesterday, for the first time in yonks, I found out that China is the only way to get both Mining and Agriculture as starting techs. Those are very nice.

(Yeah, you can play unrestricted I guess, but that isn't for me).

I discovered that a super-woodsman unit and a super-medic unit both heal an extra 15% in the same square.

I discovered that a super-woodsman unit and a super-medic unit both heal an extra 15% in the same square.

LincolnOfRome, are you talking about Woodsy III vs. Medic III? Or maybe a unit with Medic I and Woodsy III?

By sheer accident I learned today that in the diplo glance (?) screen you can order the relations by good/bad if you click on a column or a leader's head. Never knew that.

This is probably well-known, but if you right-click on stuff you often get up info about it. For example by right-clicking on a tech in the tech tree, you get the Civilopedia entry for it.

The hints window in the loading screen is movable. Drag with mouse to move it, not sure why you would do it though.

Last Week I won what should have been a 'lazy huge map domination' game via diplomacy by nuking every city in the world I didn't own and than using my secretary general seat to vote myself king of the world.

Never done that, didn't ever occur to me to depopulate the Earth for the sake of diplomacy.

This year, I have developed some maps for the game of the month. I created BOTM67, BOTM71, WOTM54, and WOTM56.
My process had been:
  1. Enter WorldBuilder
  2. Yes, I want to Enter WorldBuilder
  3. Look Around
  4. no, that's not what I want - Exit Worldbuilder
  5. Regenerate Map
  6. Repeat
Tonight I noticed there is a Regenerate Map button within Worldbuilder! :cool:
I may have noticed it before, but I haven't been using it. :mischief:
Now, that's going to save some time!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0308.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0308.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 459
In the city screen, when you right click the unit/building/wonder/project, you get to go to the civilopedia section of that thing.

Sounds trivial but I think it helps for beginners.
---

Btw, you can also rotate and zoom the "UI model" of the building or unit in the production queue or in the civilopedia section.

LincolnOfRome, are you talking about Woodsy III vs. Medic III? Or maybe a unit with Medic I and Woodsy III?
Woodsy III vs. Medic III.

They both heal other units 15% extra in the same square. Unlike the Woodsman III, the Medic III does provide healing for adjacent squares as well though.

Unlike the Woodsman III, the Medic III does provide healing for adjacent squares as well though.
While true in practice, Medic III does not provide healing for adjacent squares; it's the Medic II promotion that does that. But you're not going to get Medic III without Medic II.

Now the best is to get a super-duper medic by having a unit with both Woodsman III and Medic III; that one will heal 30% in its square (and surrounding squares).

Even if I'm reasonably conservative with mine I'll usually lose a 96% before I get them that high.

Even if I'm reasonably conservative with mine I'll usually lose a 96% before I get them that high.

And that, my friend, is why I always play with New Random Seed on.

It's nearly x-mas so let's treat ourselves with reloading goodness ^^

And that, my friend, is why I always play with New Random Seed on.

Since the majority of my victories are domination losing 1 or 2 GG units isn't that big of an issue because you can always make more. I limit my reloads to when I screw up because of the crappy UI. Which happens at least a few times a game. Or when I DOW the wrong civ by accident. This happens much more frequently than you'd think. :crazyeye:

Now the best is to get a super-duper medic by having a unit with both Woodsman III and Medic III; that one will heal 30% in its square (and surrounding squares).
Can you use 2 units instead for this? Like you have a unit with WM III and another warlord unit with Med III?

Can you use 2 units instead for this? Like you have a unit with WM III and another warlord unit with Med III?

General with Medic III is classic ;)

It shouldn't work from what i've read in the code, that is that only the best healer for the job of healing that tile is used. In short, both promotions have to be one one unit.
rah said:
For anyone who ddn't know, you can give a GG led unit up to 10 more XP from another GG, by having the existing one staning

Yeah but you need more than 10. But yes, I've tried that but have gone back to just making a new one since then I won't get tou mad when I lose one or two.

Huh? So if you have a GG and blow another one on him you only get 10XP instead of the usual 20?

Top Bottom