Most WTF Civ IV moment?

2 for me.

First was when I was playing my first OCC on Deity. I was stuck between Shaka and Nappy so I wasn't completely ignoring defensive concerns like I usually do. When the inevitable happened, I barely fended off a slightly feeble attack from Nappy, and then Shaka's really huge late-medieval stack appeared. My handful of surviving rifles were doomed. I think the stack was about two squares away when it suddenly disappeared. It took several seconds to realise that it was the cavalry, Sitting Bull's to be precise (he had been in WHEOOHRN mode for a while). Since then, I haven't hated Sitting Bull quite as much.

Second was Monty. I was going for a culture victory in quite a tough spot, not doing very well, and bordering Monty as well. Luckily I had him wrapped around my little finger diplomatically. Unfortunately he went culture himself, long before I was ready to turn up my slider, and completely swamped me. I probably could have fought back, but I couldn't be bothered. Well played Monty I guess.

Maybe not my MOST WTF moment, but still big enough to post it.
All my combat units are down S.E. fighting the japanese, when Justy decided to DOW me, despite we just made a trade, and he was kinda friendly towards me...
15 galleons carrying 4 units each = 60 units!!! Thats maybe 2-3 times what I have on the mainland... Im so dead unless AI screws this one up.

edited for racial slur (didnt know)
Spoiler :

Years, and years back when I lost three workers in the same turn (!!!) to animals, just because I didn't know that animals use roads too.

Not just barb animals. I've lost a few workers from that also.

The barb horse event really surprised me once that way.

I was building tanks to capture some of Monty's cities. After the first tank rolled off the assembly lines, his ugly face popped up and he told me that I would pay for my "insults". Two cavalry and a rifleman crossed the border. I know that's normal behaviour for him, but I was surprised at how advanced he was!

I was America and had conquered all my continent and started to build a spaceship, hoping that my science was going to beat German power which was in the other continent. However, Germany did just that and attacked my cities and to top it all off, Bismarck even made a spaceship first by surprise. .. i thought i was first in science. ..

In my best rounds, I give my units names.

In one round, I named them after famous warriors, like "Vitaly Klitschko" , "Shaolin Monk" or "Ranger" , but also after how some people call themselves in MMOs, like "Roxxor" or "Farm0r" a.s.o.

It's hard to describe, but while those units actually performed so well, that I conquered the complete map in the BCs with a number of less than 40. Statistics later told, that those below 40 units, killed some hundreds of enemy units, I actually think that my "win-rate" in the fights was significantly above 90%+ for most of the game.

Still: Roxxor died 3 times in a row because he was a low-skiller, while the "Shaolin Monk" walked into the woods right beside a Phalanx, which he slayed with having 1% chances. Vitaly Klitschko got a lvl 7+ Great General (or was it Vladimir? Don't know) and "Lightbringer" I later renamed into Clark Kent, in order to "convoke" the "metor-random-event" with renaming 2 Workers as "Martha and Jonathan Kent" while renaming the city into Smallville. ^^

I'm sure Lemon Merchant or some Mathematicians but maybe also a priest could make something out of this ^^ .

Well, the above obviously has to do with statistics and then either spiritual experience or being neurotic.

You wrote at least a few times in these forums, that you got knowledge about humans and that specific sort of thinking, you play CIV yourself, and you got your own personal view, so I thought you had a lot of opportunities to react :) .

Of course, this wasn't ment to discourage others from doing the same :) .

Don't take it too personally, I just thought it'd be easier for the people mentioned, than for people having less bias, and ofc, I say that with being biased myself ^^ .

Shaka founding Buddhism was quite surprising.

This just happened in a Next War game. In which I had a WTF moment consisting of a city guarded by eight well-promoted Infantry getting overrun by a Carthaginian Cavalry deathstar :(

If I'd gone Railroad rather than Electricity, I'd have had some CGIII Grenadier > Machine Gun units to weather the Cannons and cut down the chargers -.-

Well, the above obviously has to do with statistics and then either spiritual experience or being neurotic.

You wrote at least a few times in these forums, that you got knowledge about humans and that specific sort of thinking, you play CIV yourself, and you got your own personal view, so I thought you had a lot of opportunities to react :) .

Of course, this wasn't ment to discourage others from doing the same :) .

Don't take it too personally, I just thought it'd be easier for the people mentioned, than for people having less bias, and ofc, I say that with being biased myself ^^ .

I wasn't taking it personally, I was just confused.

Yesterday while playing my current game as Alexander of Greece I shared a fractal map continent with Gandhi of India and Darius of Persia. Went to war with India and acquired copper in my victory over Gandhi. Sent a stack of phalanx to make war with Persia, and popped a great general...Leonidas. If I had internet access to my PC, I would have posted a screen shot to the funny screen shot thread.

Lol, I am always ripped off my tits when I play so its hard to remember any wtf moments. I am sure there have been many. I can vaguely remember something like the epic defense golden age happening once as mentioned previous. If it did that would have been awesome.

I've recently noticed that Isabella in my games keep getting running over by barbs. By 900 bc she is usually gone and her cities are up for the taking. Generally with two religions in them. I don't know, perhaps if you had that much of a barb problem, those beakers in religion might have been better spent in researching archery. I don't know if this is a common thread in anyone else's games but it is becoming one in mine.

I've recently noticed that Isabella in my games keep getting running over by barbs. By 900 bc she is usually gone and her cities are up for the taking. Generally with two religions in them. I don't know, perhaps if you had that much of a barb problem, those beakers in religion might have been better spent in researching archery. I don't know if this is a common thread in anyone else's games but it is becoming one in mine.

For me it's the Dutch, until recently I would always play raging barbarians which would seem to roll right over the Dutch cities. Like Isabella, the Dutch leader is preoccupied, focusing on things other than defense. In my current game the Dutch and Aztecs share a continent, Monty repeatedly going to war. The only thing keeping the Dutch in game is a military tech lead over Monty.

I'm in the middle of one at the moment with half the Civs on my planet declaring war on me during the 1400s... I think my AI has an attitude problem.

Top Bottom