Unpopular Opinion Thread

I hate 1UPT
Wrong sub forum
Anywho, Cavalry <3.
I enjoy watching them charge into battle and hack their enemies.

Cavalry are incredible! I spam them :p

Cavalry and mounted units in general are actually rather popular. A lot of AZ:s games and other games here are cuirassier/cavalry rushes. They are quite fun until you overdo it. First you develop a strong econ with careful micro then get the shiny cuirs and kill AIs with medieval units, it has some building and some warring, nice balance imo.

The best corporation is Jewellers Inc. Or at least it is the only corporation that gives me a net profit for domestic spread. Too bad it clashes with Mining Inc. Generally, unless the city is military city I go with Jewellers Inc. Sid's Sushi Co I spread everywhere.

Hippodrome is the most powerful UB.

I like everything about the modern era, especially the music.

I do not believe an Industrious+Philosophical leader would be overpowered.

It would be easy enough to try. Take any leader and change his/her traits by editing the Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.XML file, like this:

This is Zara's original traits:

Code:
<Traits>
	       <Trait>
			<TraitType>TRAIT_CREATIVE</TraitType>
			<bTrait>1</bTrait>
		</Trait>
		<Trait>
			<TraitType>TRAIT_ORGANIZED</TraitType>
			<bTrait>1</bTrait>
		</Trait>
	</Traits>

Change it to this:

Code:
<Traits>
		<Trait>
	        	<TraitType>TRAIT_INDUSTRIOUS</TraitType>
		         <bTrait>1</bTrait>
		</Trait>
		<Trait>
			<TraitType>TRAIT_PHILOSOPHICAL</TraitType>
			<bTrait>1</bTrait>
		</Trait>
	</Traits>

Easy peasy. :)

I must admit that I didn't think I would really get the chance to try it, but if that's all there is to it then it might be worth doing. Thanks, Lemon. Now we just have to pick a suitable leader to use. What techs and uniques would compliment a wonder building, GP birthing leader? I'm thinking we would want to have Mining and The Wheel to get marble and stone hooked up quickly. Though Mysticism, not generally a crowd pleaser, starts you down a wonder path as well.

An early and resouceless UU could free us up to settle early cities near Stone and Marble instead of needing to claim Horses or metals. Bowman? Jaguar? Holkan? Hwacha? Quechua? Skirmisher? Fast Worker?! Fast Work seems like a great fit conceptually, fast chop those wonders, fast road those stony resources.

India starts with Mysticism and Mining, not bad in this context, the great Fast Worker, but has an irrelevant UB in the Mausoleum. Mali, with The Wheel, Mining, and a Forge based UB (Industrious makes it cheaper) and Skirmishers, is very attractive as well. The Maya have Mining, Mysticism, Holkan and Ball Court, quite reasonable. The Romans are either a great fit with the Forum, or simply stupid. Mining, Fishing and Praetorians don't hurt matters, you know you want the GLH anyway. Korea is surprising, Mining and Mysticism yet again, the resourceless Hwacha (not going to replace a strategic resource defense unit though) and a university based UB that is cheaper due to the Philosophical trait. Sumeria would be strong with The Wheel, Agriculture, Ziggurat and Vulture, but not a particularly special fit to the Philosophical and Industrious traits, just a strong civ anyway. The Babylonians offers The Wheel, Agriculture, Bowman, and Garden, which would boost and compliment things nicely. The Aztec would give Jaguars, Sac. Altars (never bad) and the underwhelming Mysticism and Hunting combination. The Inca come loaded with Agriculture and Mysticism, the Terrace and the infamous Quechua.

The best would seem to be Mali, India, Rome, Maya, Babylonia, Inca and Aztec. I would discard Rome and Inca for being too much of a good thing, though they would be fun to play and that was my original goal. The Babylonians and Mayans would provide a somewhat neutral but appropriate set of tools to enjoy the traits without distracting from them. India would be strong, so very strong. But, I'm leaning towards a test with Mali.

Mali is just a complete package of traits, starting techs and uniques that all work together in a harmonious way to strengthen the idea of playing a Philosophical and Industrious leader. Mali appeals to my desire for focus on the conceptual commitment to a wonder building, GP birthing empire. Dreams of settling Stone and Marble while taking Metal Casting from the Oracle are already forming in my head. Add the Parthenon and start counting GP jumping over a fence. I will sleep sweetly tonight . . .

Any other favorites?

Mali is just a complete package of traits, starting techs and uniques that all work together in a harmonious way to strengthen the idea of playing a Philosophical and Industrious leader. Mali appeals to my desire for focus on the conceptual commitment to a wonder building, GP birthing empire. Dreams of settling Stone and Marble while taking Metal Casting from the Oracle are already forming in my head. Add the Parthenon and start counting GP jumping over a fence. I will sleep sweetly tonight . . .

Any other favorites?

Damn, you just made my mouth salivate. I can't think of any better combination.

For the record, in Legends of Revolution Pericles is Ind/Phi.

So, is he over powered?

No, he isn't.

Fishing, Hunting, Odeon and Phalanx. Doesn't sound too scary even with Philosophical and Industrious. But he is fun to play, right?

Why don't you try yourself? ;)

I hate the early game, because the first 100 turns matter the most in victories.

Me too ... I hate early game because it is mostly uterly boring for me - especially the first turns after starting.... nothing but end turn, end turn, (....) end turn aaaaaand .............
oh my worker just finished a farm ... end turn, end turn, end turn and suddenly :eek: !!!!!!

.... nothing happens :D

Top Bottom