Napoleon Scenrio?

There's a better way:

Start with the French Revolution! And let the French build or get a wonder called NAPOLEON and an advance named the same, which provides better troops and spoils diplomatic relationships and so on, new government, too (maybe Fundamentalism to allow the French to build a huge army). Then you could cover the whole period from the French Revolution to imperialism perfectly - and you would have different "chapters" in the game (Revolution, Napoleon, Imperialism). I mean, Napoleon himself was only a side-effect of the revolution.

And maybe you can rename wonders and turn them into historical people, like Fouché, Goethe and so on.

Very good indeed! I will think on this for sure!

As far as I understand your project, there's only an intro missing. It would be nice to introduce the main character after a dozen of turns and not from the very beginning. You could start with a loyal royal city (barbarians) which has to conquered first, if you want to trigger the Napoleon advance!
And maybe you could create some special goody units to trigger events, e.g. a unit called "battlefield/hero of Marengo" (to make him emperor) or "Expedition to Egypt"which you could create after activating Napoleon. Or a French unit ("Trafalger") for the English to destroy and trigger sth. different.

Metro Polis,

I may well use some of those ideas for my attempt. It would be good to start from the very beginning. I like the idea of introducing Napoleon later into the scenario and having to build up from revolutionary chaos to empire.

I think the problem I have always had with Napoleonic scenarios is that I have always seen the French and Bonaparte as the enemy that was vanquished at Waterloo. Watching Waterloo and Sharpe as a youngster I always felt of myself as one of the red coated ones, never the blue of the French. Perhaps having to start from the revolution and take a nobody and elevate him to Emperor, building the Grande Armée along the way would immerse me in the French Imperial mindset in a way that starting with the fat Napoleon with all the might of the Empire immediately at his disposal just doesn't!

I'm not going to get distracted from the SCW, but I'm going to keep a notepad of my thoughts and your ideas for use at a later date!

I tend to keep things quite close to regular CIV2, and allow the player to develop the story as they see fit.
:)

@CS: I don't intend to only replay the original historical comeouts. But a little bit of extra-info would lead to a more intense atmosphere. I'd simply like to - at least - read about some historical incidents (which could easily be triggered in the event files by special units after destruction). There don't have to be many - I think Trafalger and Marengo would do, maybe also Egypt (only worth a textbox). You could use an "Austerlitz battlefield unit" to force immediate peace with Austria and Russia once for example (and Jena/Auerstedt for peace with Prussia). I mean - if you really want to start with the French Revolution, then France is at war with everybody else in Europe. And units triggering a peace event could help France to take a breath at the beginning of the game. I'd also make an event in case Paris falls - exiling Napoleon and forcing France to return to the "ancien régime" and forcing all kings into an alliance.

@McMonkey:
Odd, I never looked at him the way you did. I always had the impression absolutism was the real enemy of the people, which means the European kings. Napoleon (and the Revolution) were severe threats, that's why they hated and wanted to get rid off both. Funny: They could take defeat after defeat and still remain kings, while Napoleon - as an usurper - always knew he would be removed as soon as the tables would turn.

Or maybe...

Spoiler :
... I'm just a little bit too much into the topic - I had to analyze his rule and its effects on other countries in my final exams at university - and got an 'A' :king:

Last edited:
Top Bottom