Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I am new to Colonization and can't seem to generate FF Points.
I started on "Revolution" and I am wondering if maybe they are just not available at the highest level? Any thoughts?

You started playing on Revolutionary? Good luck :)

All FF points are available at all difficulty levels. You get Exporation points by exploring, Religion pts by producing crosses, Trade pts by trading with Europe or the natives, Military pts by building military buildings or by combat and Political pts by producing liberty bells. There is also the option of switching a Colony's production to FF points.

I've loaded 4 horses on the merchantman. 4x150, in the trade screen i can only sell 600, can i choose to sell only a part of it?

Unfortunately, no. You can only sell the entire cargo.

There are a couple of ways to work around this problem. You can load your ship with a mixture of goods (150 horses, 150 guns etc) and just sell those that give the best profit at each stop. Another alternative is to carry an empty wagon aboard your ship. When you reach the settlement you want to trade with, unload the wagon then load 150 horses into it and sell from the wagon.

You can also use this method to trade with inland villages your ship can't reach. Unload the wagon, fill it with goods then send it off to trade while your ship returns back home or to Europe for more supplies.

I'm on my sixth game of colonization and I find some elements of the User Interface to be lacking. Especially during mid-game when my colony's infrastructure is growing and the expertise of the colonists is developing, there are lots of adjustments needed to maintain a steady flow of raw materials in order to meet the growing demands of industry. I enjoy running an efficient production pipeline but the need to constantly open up adviser screens and city screens every turn goes from tedious to down right frustrating.

• I'd like to see nationwide surplus and deficit values for each of the materials (without having to use an adviser screen)
  • I'd like to see the same values for a city without having to open the city screen. The overlay that appears when I mouse over a city only shows surplus (not deficit) of goods, and is very tiny at my screen resolution.
  • I'd like to see the European trade value in the tooltip for goods whenever I mouse over a stack or quantity. This is especially handy when trading with natives, but requires me to check the Military Adviser of all places to get the value before conducting business.
Inventory levels, prices, production rates, and more are all visible in one screen or another, but NOT very convenient to access.

Are there any mods that adjust the user interface, making some buried info easier to reference?

1. What´s the difference between a scenario, custom game and custom scenario in the vanilla C4C? I can´t spot it
2. What released mod is the most historical for this game and its original timeframe? (I dl:ed AoDII and Ozzy´s americas map to start with)
3. Being the nice guy that I am I like to build and trade so in that regard do you have any tip on building order, priorities etc?
4. I´ve sporadically played a couple of games and it seems that I need ships, ships and even more ships to maintain the trade or....?

Thx in advance

1) You can configure your game's settings to variing degrees. Also determines whether you get a predefined scenario map or a randomly generated one. I like to customize my game so that f.e. there's no Australians instead of the English rivalling me in America.
2) I wouldn't know any better, unfortunately. If you play any nation other than the Portuguese, be ready to sail north to the appropriate landing position. For some stupid reason, all player-controlled nations start at the height of Brazil.
3) I won't answer that for you. You seem to be the historical player, so just play the way it seems right to you. If you want to manufacture more goods, enhance the appropriate facilities. If you want your own ships, build a shipyard. And so on - it's not rocket science. :) If you want to dig into the topic, if you are the kind of player who can sit over some spreadsheets for hours, check out the strategy articles section, where you can find lenghty discussions about which way to play is the most efficient etc.
4)...or wagon trains, you mean? At least in AoD2, they are cheap enough and do the job. I don't need that many ships, a few galleons for the Atlantic voyage and some smaller ships for coastal trade.

You can configure your game's settings to variing degrees. Also determines whether 2) I wouldn't know any better, unfortunately. If you play any nation other than the Portuguese, be ready to sail north to the appropriate landing position. For some stupid reason, all player-controlled nations start at the height of Brazil.

That is not my experience. I have started by both the northern and the southern Arctic.

Öjevind Lång;8456918 said:
That is not my experience. I have started by both the northern and the southern Arctic.
That is interesting. Can we have a third opinion on this? :)

That is interesting. Can we have a third opinion on this? :)

Perhaps I should qualify my statement to say that I have (many times) started with tundra within the fat cross and the Arctic immediately to the north or south of my starting location. It seems to happen quite often with the English leaders. I have also seen Alexander start in an arctic area, and that one really was arctic.

Oops! I plain missed that this discussion is about Colonization. Forget what I said.

I wonder which game you were talking about...

I'm trying to play a custom single player game with an AI team mate and the Natives are missing. I don't see any option to disable/enable them. Is there a way to get the Natives back in a custom game?

Update: I figured out having to set the Natives manually as the other players, but they only start with one or two cities that way and basically have to expand from there. Is Native pre-population not available in custom games?

Why won't Take2 allow Steam users in Japan like me buy the English version of the game through Steam? Why are they locking out certain regions? Don't they want my money?

go to direct2drive, much less hassle is my exp....I hate totally dislike steam.

Very New User - to any Civ game - cannot figure out how to transfer goods from wagon train wagon (have two items of furs), trying to get them onto a boat (ostensibly to send to Europe and sell them?) Also, cannot seem to figure out how to get an item of Tools from Boat offloaded. Have tried right clicking, left clicking, dragging, not sure exactly what to do. NOTE: Background info - wagon is full with two items in it, but the boat had an item of tools and a person. I was able to successfully get the person off the boat, by highlighting and right clicking and dragging them off, whatever - but I don't seem to be able to discern what to do to move cargo from wagon to boat or land or anything.

I know that this is a very basic user help question - but this kind of simple stuff does not seem to be easily spelled out anywhere. Moving cargo, goods, etc.

Thanks in advance for reading and any insights, you can email me an answer direct to bob.williams.bristol.ri@gmail.com

Bob
Bristol RI, US

Very New User - to any Civ game - cannot figure out how to transfer goods from wagon train wagon (have two items of furs), trying to get them onto a boat (ostensibly to send to Europe and sell them?) Also, cannot seem to figure out how to get an item of Tools from Boat offloaded. Have tried right clicking, left clicking, dragging, not sure exactly what to do. NOTE: Background info - wagon is full with two items in it, but the boat had an item of tools and a person. I was able to successfully get the person off the boat, by highlighting and right clicking and dragging them off, whatever - but I don't seem to be able to discern what to do to move cargo from wagon to boat or land or anything.

I know that this is a very basic user help question - but this kind of simple stuff does not seem to be easily spelled out anywhere. Moving cargo, goods, etc.

Thanks in advance for reading and any insights, you can email me an answer direct to bob.williams.bristol.ri@gmail.com

Bob
Bristol RI, US

Or you could return to the board to see the response? :p

I hadn't touched the game since February, I just realized - wow. Anyway, open up the city screen for the wagon you're offloading. I presume the boat is already in town as well. Click the item and drag it from the wagon to the boat. If for some reason you can't do it directly (didn't have a boat handy to try that out and like I said, it's been months), drag it from the wagon to the city inventory, then from there to the boat. Probably works directly too I'm just going by memory. :)

HTH

Hi, I'm just wondering if it's normal for the game to end in the 1600s, and if not what I can do to extend the game-playing time.

It seems silly for the game not to extend until the 1776 or even the early 1800s and I find it not worth the effort of building up colonies only to have the game come to an arbitrary end.

Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

Also, if anyone knows how to get the Indian tribes to be in their correct positions in the Age of Discovery mod I'd be forever grateful. Cheers.

Hi, I'm just wondering if it's normal for the game to end in the 1600s, and if not what I can do to extend the game-playing time.

It seems silly for the game not to extend until the 1776 or even the early 1800s and I find it not worth the effort of building up colonies only to have the game come to an arbitrary end.

Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

Most of my games extend well into the 1700's and my latest finish is 1792. What Victory conditions are you using, and what do you mean by an 'arbitrary' end?

Top Bottom