unbalanced empire stability

Chiyochan

King
my empire stability is always worsening even when I have 5 very bright things on the good side and one very dull thing on the other, I love the revolutions aspect but this is broken, If this is supposed to be WoD then how do you change it?

well, it depends on a few things, but let me give you some tipps:

build the pyramids and get representation! this is even more useful in LoR than in normal civ, because it also eliminates a big factor of instability.
use garrisons to force some stability in endangered cities. this works also well with monarchy which then gives an extra happiness stability effect.
do not overexpand early on. distance penalty can accumulate. prioritise distance techs (though it is not fully clear which ones they are).
be careful with attacking. conquered cities are automatically very unstable.
watch out for slavery. although useful and even essential for some play styles ( I think), with LoR there is an added instability price tag. for starters, maybe refrain from it.
religion: can be good, but if you have more than one and a state religion, it can get messy. you may want to consider inquisitors.
in war, loosing a critical food resource can lead to starvation either directly or indirectly. same for happiness resources. you may need to play a bit more careful and leave happiness buffers. otherwise, endangered cities can become rebellious.
avoid a bad financial situation. this is if you are at or below 50% gold and are still negative. such things can also get very ugly.
avoid the initial revolution at all cost! once you slip in, it is very (!) hard to get out again. this imo is a real weakness of the package and should be addressed at some point.

lastly, when you are at the level, use revolutions to your advantage. your biggest competitors are often also large empiries, sometimes borne of conquest. look in the statistics graphs whether they have bad nationwise stability. if yes, use spies to sabotage some potentiall critical cities, e.g. via food poisoning, forment unhappiness or destroying resource improvements. if you keep it up, you may be able to launch a chain reaction that tears the empire apart. which leaves you to pick up the weakened, warring pieces :D.

in general. there is a learning curve connected to it. but if you make it through, a really great addition awaits you.

In my opinion the revolutions aspect is very balanced. I usually play on emperor difficulty and after sorting the mechanism out it seems very rational. I also go by the suggestions of shadowhal.

Some more:
Always have some successful fighting going on. You don't have to actually conquer cities, but successful warring keeps your people happy.
Only expand massively in the late game, with Representation and Rifling. Don't expand too fast. Do it slowly and consolidate your new cities.
Invest in culture. Any city with lots of foreign culture and few own culture means trouble.
Instigate rebellions in fellow civs. If successful sponsor them as a valuable thorn in your rival's empire.

Good luck!

PS Don't run a deficit economy. Loosing money, even with a large treasury makes people nervous.

............. are you people even listening to me? why are you wasting your breath giving me beginner tips, my civilization is not HAVING any visible problems, I have FIVE BRIGHT GOOD things going for it, and in the negatives, one tiny petty dull problem. and it is STILL worsening despite this. that is BROKEN.

What exactly is "financial trouble"? I have 24k in the bank, making over 500 a turn, and it's still there.

It's a concept intended only for the AI, it should basically make the computer player try to cut the empire expenses a bit. I can only assume jdog didn't really know what it was when he decided to use it for empire stability.

Top Bottom