Aeterna Civitas III

I'm happy to report that the new 1st & 2nd Illyrian / 1st Macedonian / 2nd Punic War events have been tested and they work perfectly. Rome now has enough Transports to get to Rhizon and when it takes that city (which is renamed Epidaurus) the three veteran Forts allow it to hold out, despite every barbarian and Macedonian in the Balkans making a bee-line to the city to have a scrap! Holding on to Rhizon blocks an event that would see Philip V of Macedon send a large army of Epirote Phalanxes to reclaim Magna Graecia, the last thing you need when trying to fight off Hannibal's invasion! The same is true of Pharos. Capture it and the event, allowing Demetrius of Pharos to send hordes of Illyrians's to Hannibal's aid, is blocked.

Without the Macedonian and Illyrian allied assistance, Hannibal's invasion of Italy is devastating, but survivable. With all three armies on your case the situation is dire!

The dilema I'm facing now is the end of the Second Punic War. Historically Rome wore down Hannibal's troops in Italy, whilst simultaneously taking the fight to the Carthaginians in their Iberian power base. That is easy enough to replicate in the game. However, one of the most famous battles in Roman history, Zama, took place in North Africa. The Carthaginians were defeated and Rome raigned supreme until the Third Punic War when Carthage was finally captured and destroyed.

How is it possible to replicate this in my scenario? If the Romans do land in North Africa as they do now there is no way to force a peace treaty on Carthage as there is no negotiations. Do I just skip the Third Punic War altogether? It would be the simplest solution and would give the player the freedom to finish off Carthage once and for all during the 2nd Punic War. Trying to force every historical event into the game may just be too much, and a simpler solution seems to make sense.

Any ideas would be welcome!

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the Carthaginians paid Rome money every year for 50 years as part of the treaty at the end of the 2nd Punic War, so you could give the Romans money (or a trade unit or other reward) each turn as long as they don't take any cities in North Africa.

The Carthaginians were not allowed to have an army after the 2nd Punic War and were not allowed to make war without Roman permission, so you could argue that in terms of the Civ 2 engine this is best represented by having Rome take over all the Carthaginian cities. In that case, the player would be expected to take all the Carthaginian cities in the 2nd Punic War, and the 3rd Punic War would be set up as a "rebellion," perhaps set at a random time instead of at a historical date. If the Romans don't take the Carthaginian cities, then Carthage was only marginally defeated and might be able to make war on the Romans again (perhaps at a random time instead of a particular date).

Another option would be to have a flag that would turn off your training camp events. If the player takes Carthaginian cities after the Senate made peace, it could set the flag, and prevent the player from raising more troops, perhaps with a message like "The Senate refuses to supply more troops to the rogue generals." This might work in other places you want to stop the player from advancing.

Q & A WITH McMONKEY
I. When you say you conquered the last Carthaginian city, does this include the ones in Spain?

I think that if the Carthaginians still held Iberia then the Second Punic War events would still be valid. In the updated version Carthage should, hopefully be a lot harder to capture at such an early date. From my own play test I can confidently say that I would be unable to take out all of the Carthaginian cities this early, I'm not even close!

In my opinion there is not a problem, especially when the updated scenario is considered, but I'm willing to listen.

Puhleeze Drew, I'd like to continue to think that I'm not a complete noob at this game. Here's what happened to the Carthaginian Empire during the last 18 years of its existence.

Around Turn 9, with all homeland cities captured as far north as Clusium, the Romans went into a defensive shell in Italia. History has repeatedly shown that offensive fighting on multiple fronts is not the best of strategies. Consequently, all newly formed units were assigned to the Carthaginian campaign.

You might be surprised how fast the Romans can move if they have enough transports to transport assault units and to continuously freight in fresh replacement units from Rome and Carthage. With this approach, spearheads don't have to wait for damaged units to heal before resuming their advance because replacement units are always available to continue the campaign.

The following shows how rapidly and relentlessly the Romans advanced. The numbers in brackets are the number of slaves captured after the city was taken.

TURN 13 257 BC CARTHAGE (3) UTICA (4) HADRUMETUM (4) CAPTURED
TURN 14 255 BC THAENAE (2) HIPPO REGIUS (2) CIRTA (2) MELITE (0) CAPTURED
TURN 15 253 BC ALERIA (2) SALDAE (2) CAPTURED
TURN 16 251 BC CARALIS (5) JOL (6) LEPTIS MAGNA (6) CAPTURED
TURN 17 249 BC CARTHAGO NOVA (4) CAPTURED
TURN 18 247 BC BALEARES (3) RUSSADDIR (3) MASSILY (0) CAPTURED
TURN 19 245 BC VOLUBILIS (0) TINGIS (3) MALACA (2) GADES (0) CAPTURED
TURN 20 243 BC HISPALIS (5) CORDUBA (4) CAPTURED
TURN 21 241 BC LILYBAEUM (0) PANORMUS (0) CAPTURED

The campaign was over 90% amphibious. Only a few cavalry and other units actually moved along the coastal road, west or south from Carthage.

II. My current play-test shows to me that the reduced number of Merchants forces the player to rely on Slaves from conquest for expansion. I have got up to 221 BC and there has not been a dull turn yet. I think the fact that there were so many Merchants in the version you play-tested is a contributing factor in your rapid victory over Carthage. (Sorry to contradict you. That was pure skill. ;) ) Reducing the number has made the scenario much more challenging!

Before seeing the consequences of the Romans destroying the Carthaginian civ, I must admit that I was wondering about what you were talking about. Now I understand. You could either decrease the number of Merchants or deactivate the Caralis and/or Lilybaeum events. I'm going to undo the Lilybaeum event which doubles payouts. Rather than mucking around with RANDOMTURN, why not eliminate the source of the problem? As a player, I think that regular spawning with smaller payouts is much fairer than randomized spawning with larger payouts.

Here's my analysis of Roman income and expenditures so far in the scen.
Roman income has come from the following sources:

(Taxes – Costs) ~ -150
94 Slaves captured @50 gold = 4700
Merchants ~ 16,000
City Capture ~ 6,200
Sale of improvements = 2,150
-------------------------------------------------
Total ~ 29,000 gold

Approximate expenditures have been

RB 52 Transports ~ 10,000
RB 16 Workshops ~ 8,000
RB 15 Law Courts ~ 2,400
RB 23 New Legions ~ 3,700
RB Miscellaneous Improvements ~ 2,000
-----------------------------------------------
Total ~ 26,000 gold

The totals are close enough so that the numbers are probably in the right ballpark.

The key units, New Legions, were built by disbanding either 4 or 5 Slaves. Disbanding 5 Slaves RB'd a New Legion while, with only 4 Slaves, 105 or 210 gold were needed for the RB. Of course, the Romans need the Law Courts to combat the terrible corruption. The Later Republic tech will help but the final solution, Imperium, is still ~30 turns down the road. Similarly, the Workshops were the only way to provide support shields for a very large military which numbered 400+ units by 241 BC.

It was my intention to create an empire builder scenario which would be guided along historical lines by the events. I didn't want to make a scenario where the Romans just go into overdrive and conquer the map in a fraction of time it too historically!

III. I disagree about Envoys. I find the knowledge they buy very valuable indeed when planning to assault a key city. I would not use them in every attack, hence their high cost, but when it is vital to know what you are up against 50 shields is a price worth paying!

OK. Let's agree to disagree. :D

IV. Glad you found the overstrike!

Me too.:goodjob:

V. Checking for city walls is vital if you want to gain a decisive victory! Using CivCity is pretty quick and easy. Save, launch CivCity, find the city in question, tick City Walls, save city and then reload the game and continue playing.

I have not seen any cities come close to destruction in my play-test. Which two AI Ptolemid cities were size 1? I just checked my 221 BC save and all the Ptolemid cities are a healthy size. In the versions I have been playing the AI nations don't fight one another, unless instructed to via events. Is this the same in the version you are playing?

I guess I could add a couple of Germanic heartland cities as objectives to give the player a little leeway!

Every little bit helps.:)

The dilema I'm facing now is the end of the Second Punic War. Historically Rome wore down Hannibal's troops in Italy, whilst simultaneously taking the fight to the Carthaginians in their Iberian power base. That is easy enough to replicate in the game. However, one of the most famous battles in Roman history, Zama, took place in North Africa. The Carthaginians were defeated and Rome raigned supreme until the Third Punic War when Carthage was finally captured and destroyed.

How is it possible to replicate this in my scenario? If the Romans do land in North Africa as they do now there is no way to force a peace treaty on Carthage as there is no negotiations.

Any ideas would be welcome!

You could use the 'Negotiator' event to enable Carthage to negotiate with Rome. It also could then negotiate with all other civs, so you'd have to take that into account. You could then take away it's ability to talk to other civs the following turn by reversing the process, if that fits. Let me know if I can help with it.

Thanks for the constructive feedback and ideas guys. I don't have much time to reply fully now, but all three posts have valuable data which I will make use of!

@Prof G
Allowing Rome to take over all of the Carthaginian cities seems like the natural way to end the Second Punic War. Carthage's power was crushed after Zama and they effectively became a Roman client state, so Rome controlling all of their cities makes sense. The Third Punic War as a rebellion localised to Carthage itself also seems like the most viable option.

@Agri
Those figures will really help me balance things out. I don't think I have to be too savage in reigning back Roman development, I just need to tweak a few things.

@Tech
I would be interested to learn more about how the 'Negotiator' event works as it would be good to allow some limited diplomacy through the game. In AGRICOLA's first play-test he was able to ruthlessly exploit the AI for gifts and tributes. It's something I would like to have more control over. The 'no negotiations' solution I have implemented does work, but some dialogue with the other nations would be good. I will check out some ToT event files and the ToT Macro at work this evening to see if I can get my head around it, but any tips would be welcome!

@Tech
I would be interested to learn more about how the 'Negotiator' event works as it would be good to allow some limited diplomacy through the game. In AGRICOLA's first play-test he was able to ruthlessly exploit the AI for gifts and tributes. It's something I would like to have more control over. The 'no negotiations' solution I have implemented does work, but some dialogue with the other nations would be good. I will check out some ToT event files and the ToT Macro at work this evening to see if I can get my head around it, but any tips would be welcome!

Have a look at the Red October and Frederick the Great events for the use of the 'Negotiator' event. You would need to select a trigger for the event (which could be a flag based trigger, with the Roman capturing multiple Carthaginian cities), and be sure the Carthaginian AI would agree to a treaty once it's triggered. Afterwards there's no guarantee that Carthage wouldn't re-attack, since a new alliance would be up to the AI and very unlikely. Once playtesting showed that Carthage would agree to a peace treaty, you could use a 'Delay' modifyer to restore the no negotiation state between Carthage and other civs, by reversing the 'Negotiator' event.

If you decide to pursue this direction, I'd be happy to assist.

I have decided to make a few more important changes after researching the Roman conquest of the Po Velley. I decided to put the Celtic cities there under Barbarian control so that the Romans have a better chance to conquer them before the start of the Second Punic War. It would be rash to start a war with the Celts when there are already wars with Carthage, Macedon and the Germanics in Illyria!

I'm also considering swapping the Illyrian cities to Barbarian control so that Rome can take them without having every Germanic unit in the Balkans heading there for a scrap! The Macedonians give Rome enough trouble as it is!

I won't have time to do any work this weekend as I'm off to the Download festival on Saturday and then the 02 arena on Monday to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Rock and Roll baby, yeah! :D

I won't have time to do any work this weekend as I'm off to the Download festival on Saturday and then the 02 arena on Monday to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Rock and Roll baby, yeah! :D

Fully off-topic: I just checked the line-up of Download festival, and I have to say it's impressive! I bet you had a great time (I saw Iron Maiden, again ;), last week-end in Milano and they've still got it! :goodjob: ).

More on-topic: your scen seems really promising, and I'll definitely have to find the time to play it once it's released! :)

Thanks Cyrion. Hopefully I will get the thing finished soon, though I have a bit more playtesting to do to check everything works as intended. Hopefully the wait will be worthwhile.

Download was a blast. They had a Spitfire buzz the crowd at the start of Iron Maiden which was excellent. I drunk way too much smuggled JD and my head is still a bit fuzzy now! :goodjob:

Attachments

• 946680_588982671133315_2047262066_n.jpg
    946680_588982671133315_2047262066_n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 425
It's 233 BC, Turn 25.

Carthage is a long forgotten memory. Rome just became a Later Republic – a much easier way to make a living than the much-cursed Early Republic. The previous turn, a massive Roman force of 24 Transports carrying 140+ units landed and captured the 3 westernmost Ptolemid cities. Alexandria and the Nile are next on its agenda.:)

Western Africa is 99% explored – no surprises in the desert. Roman recce teams have also been exploring the Atlantic coast of Europe. The coasts of Iberia and Gaul and Iberia have been explored to a distance of 6 squares inland - interesting. Britannia has been located, but not explored inland.

But a most amazing discovery was made when the recce teams entered Germanic territory. Unbelievably, the Romans encountered a race of mounted Aryan super warriors – somewhat surprising to find a horse dependent civilization in a forest-covered land. The poor legionaires felt like frightened A/D=12/5 midgets in a land of A/D=18/10 :wow: pugnacious giants. Chance encounters confirmed their worst fears – their chances of defeating one of these monsters are somewhat less than a snowball has in hell. A few judicious bribes and some good undercover work by Roman Envoys shows that there are 160+ of these monster meandering around in the northern forests – and 30+ more in training. Maybe the soothsayer has it right when she says "Adolf Hitler will be born two thousand years too late. With these blonde Aryan supermen, even he could conquer the world. :evil: "

Perhaps the Barbarian Chieftain unit is just a mite over the top? :hmm:

Giving Generals amphib capability worked very well at Malta and Sicily.
With the elimination of the Lilybaeum event, freight payouts are reasonable. With the Early Republic, the payout for Rome to Syracusae was 576 gold; with Later Republic this has increased to 672. That is not enough for 1 tech/turn or to make the Romans filthy rich when they are about to start building Engineers as well as city improvements needed as their empire undergoes rapid expansion.

@Drew
Is it OK with you if I playtest the scen as the Germanics? I give the rest of the world less than 100 turns.:D

In the latest version I stopped the Germanics from being able to build Barbarian Cheiftains as I also noticed how much they liked building them! Now they are event created only!!

I'm having a slight problem. For some reason that I can't fathom the Carthaginians are able to 'shoot down' my New Legion units. The New Legion units are air units and none of the other units have the fighter (can shoot down enemy aircraft) ability. The New Legion units are event created on mountains with no stackable terrain (airfields) so its not like the Carthaginians are catching them on the runway! I have tried all different settings and they are still vulnerable!!!

I just tested the original Test of Time game and was able to shoot down a Fighter with a Chariot! I guess this must be a ToT bug, right? Is there any way around this?

I just tested the original Test of Time game and was able to shoot down a Fighter with a Chariot! I guess this must be a ToT bug, right? Is there any way around this?

That can be done in MGE as well. I suggest giving your New Legion unit a "range" of 2 and see if that helps.

What are the new A/D values for Barbarian Chieftains? Surely not 18/10 when the Generals of all other civs are 16/2 and they have half the hit points of the Chieftains.

General, nil, 0, 6.,0, 16a,2d, 2h,6f, 1,0, 1, nil, 000000001000111
Barbarian Cheiftain, nil, 0, 6.,0, 18a,10d, 4h,6f, 14,0, 1, nil, 000000001000011

I think I can solve the New Legion problem by adding a few ocean squares for them to spawn on. They are air units so I think this should work.

It looks like I may have overdone the Barbarian Chieftain's stats a little. Though they should be fairly rare they could well be too hard to destroy! Should have reduced their defence stats as I did with the Generals!

I think I can solve the New Legion problem by adding a few ocean squares for them to spawn on. They are air units so I think this should work.

It looks like I may have overdone the Barbarian Chieftain's stats a little. Though they should be fairly rare they could well be too hard to destroy! Should have reduced their defence stats as I did with the Generals!

Did you check the range? If the range of an air unit is '0', then it's treated as a helicopter and can be attacked by any unit.

Yes, the range was set to 1. Its Ok though, the lake (ocean square) solution works perfectly. The plunder gained (money and slaves) from the Iberian campaign allows the Romans to go over to the counter attack in Italy. I still need to do a bit more balancing, but it does make for a hell of a Second Punic War!

Another oddity has reared its ugly head! I have got to 199/197 BC (turn 41/42) and all of the events that have triggered so far are re-triggering!!! If I go back to 201 BC and end the turn everything is Ok, but when I skip the units movement and go onto 197 BC it all goes to pot!

Can anyone suggest a possible cause for this? I have been using the cheat menu extensively during my testing, but I would have thought the only thing that can set off these TURN=? events would be the scenarios game year and I have checked that is set to Turn 41!

As ever, your help would be appreciated.

On another note, I'm coming towards the end of the Second Punic War and it has been a real fight for survival. One thing that doesn't really work well it the Battle of Zama events. Rome cannot capture more than one or two North African cities before the counter-attacking Carthaginians wipe their forces out. This is not the historical outcome of Scipio's campaign! Would it be better to skip this element altogether and assume the war is over when the Punic armies are expelled from Spain and Italy? I think that trying to shoehorn in a historical battle like this can do more harm than good, especially as historically the North African Punic cities survived the Second Punic War anyway.

Rome really wasn't built in a day!

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the scen going haywire. I've had it happen to me when playing but I cannot recall either the name of the scen or whether it used Ely's TOT Unlimited. All I know is that, try as I might, I could not fix the crash.

I assume that you have debugged events once more, that everything is OK, and have reloaded them into the saves.

On the offchance that a hex editor check for turn to turn changes might do some good, could you please send me your end of turn saves for 203, 201,199 and 197 BC. I'm not at all hopeful because we do not understand entire sections of a saved game. Frankly, I'm scared to death that the problem may prove unfixable. Give me a day or so to try a few things.

Meanwhile, you can start in on my beta test. :)

Completely forgot to ask if you could please include your current events and rules files.

Apologies for the late response! After the latest setback I felt like I needed a few days rest from Civ2 to recharge my batteries. I'm hoping the issue has been caused by my use of the cheat menu and using multiple events files / delevent. I will get back on the case soon and see if I can't fix this problem. When scenario creation starts feeling more like a job than a hobby I find it is best to have a breather before the project becomes stale. Sometimes going back with a fresh set of eyes can reinvigorate me!

I will try and start your beta test as well soon Agri!

Attachments

• Rules.txt
    51.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Events.txt
    102.4 KB · Views: 176
Top Bottom