Altered Maps 3: The rise of the Basque Empire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the capital is Zaragoza!

But the capital is Zaragoza!

The crown of Aragon had an itinerant capital, which means that wherever the king was or the courts were celebrated, there was the capital. And yep, the kings of the crown used to live in Barcelona. So the de facto capital (and only capital because it never had an official one) of the crown was Barcelona.

LOL! Madrid is under our control!!!

BTW, why didn't you say "Aragó l'any 1429"?

Simple. No hablo Catalán. :p :lol: (As per forum rules, for those who don't comprehend that, I merely said, "I don't speak Catalan." )

I guess it's a minor inconvenience that I don't know Catalan to sound more authentic.. :lol: Though I intend to transform the story into a Spanish(or Iberian, rather, given the epic pwnage of Portugal) AAR, so I suppose it makes more sense to use Spanish throughout the whole thing.

But yes, Madrid is under Aragonese control! ..And a large part of Portugal. How I managed to utterly own both of the main powers of the Iberian Peninsula I do not know. And now that I own Toledo as of the latest play, Spain is just 30 years away from formation, in the 1460s.

Though if you think the fact Aragón owns Madrid is messed up, just wait until you see uber-Navarre in the north. :lol: Or the fact Galicia is independent now.

@ Huyana: Very dubious indeed. Large swathes of China etc have no religious affiliation at all. Is Asthrakhan really buddhist?

Australia is just plain weird. Why is Eastern Arhnemland "native" both major settlements are former Christian mission stations and to the best part of my knowledge they're still practicing or at least nominal Christians. It gets even weirder when you consider that the areas which are nominally "native" are marked Christian. Someone was being silly.

Australia is just plain weird. Why is Eastern Arhnemland "native" both major settlements are former Christian mission stations and to the best part of my knowledge they're still practicing or at least nominal Christians. It gets even weirder when you consider that the areas which are nominally "native" are marked Christian. Someone was being silly.

I think what they might have done for Australia is colour all of Australia as Christian, since that is the majority religion, then to colour areas which some sort of research showed there was a high population of people following native religions. Little attention would have been paid to actual proportions/percentages.
Although I think mixed would have been more appropriate than solid tribal.

PiMan said:
I think what they might have done for Australia is colour all of Australia as Christian, since that is the majority religion, then to colour areas which some sort of research showed there was a high population of people following native religions. Little attention would have been paid to actual proportions/percentages.

That makes no sense. If that were the case why wasn't New York or Amsterdam colored solid Islamic Green? They both have a relatively large population of Muslims. It's simply poor demography or laziness on the part of the creator/s.

PiMan said:
Although I think mixed would have been more appropriate than solid tribal.

No, it isn't. If you did that you might as well mark Sulawesi Protestants as mixed "tribal-Christian" and Catholic Timorese as the same. Both of those groups have very tribal specific idioms and beliefs most of which pre-date Christianity and exist in opposition to it - the veneration of ancestors, the construction of houses of the dead and the invocation of pre-Christian deities and protector spirits are all common. This kind of melding of traditional beliefs with new beliefs is endemic in the peripheral territories of Islam and Christianity. Western Javanese Muslims are heretics the closer you get to Mecca, they worship pre-Buddhist protector spirits, Buddhist Bodhisattvas and Hindu Gods. Now explain to me why they're any different to Aboriginals? (Indonesia doesn't recognize its fourth largest religion btw).

That makes no sense. If that were the case why wasn't New York or Amsterdam colored solid Islamic Green? They both have a relatively large population of Muslims. It's simply poor demography or laziness on the part of the creator/s.

No, it isn't. If you did that you might as well mark Sulawesi Protestants as mixed "tribal-Christian" and Catholic Timorese as the same. Both of those groups have very tribal specific idioms and beliefs most of which pre-date Christianity and exist in opposition to it - the veneration of ancestors, the construction of houses of the dead and the invocation of pre-Christian deities and protector spirits are all common. This kind of melding of traditional beliefs with new beliefs is endemic in the peripheral territories of Islam and Christianity. Western Javanese Muslims are heretics the closer you get to Mecca, they worship pre-Buddhist protector spirits, Buddhist Bodhisattvas and Hindu Gods. Now explain to me why they're any different to Aboriginals? (Indonesia doesn't recognize its fourth largest religion btw).

It is clear their research wasn't very good. I think there is still some logic to my suggestion though.

And by mixed, I was referring to how places like east Asia are marked as mixed. I think it is supposed to represent where no single religion is in majority, but where a plurality can be determined.

Huayna Capac357 said:
Here's a religious map of Indonesia, while we're on it.

That map is terrible. Western Java is the antithesis of what they seem to define as "Traditional Islam".

taillesskangaru said:
You mean Animism? Indonesia does recognize Hinduism and Buddhism though, despite it being technically against the "One God" clause of Pancasila.

No I don't mean Animism. Your going to have to look deeper than that. I also suggest you brush up understanding of what exactly the first principle of Pancasila constitutes. Tuhan translates into Almightly One which is not necessarily the same thing as One God. This is what Muhammad Hatta had to say on the matter in 1956:

The leaders of all groups hoped that in an Independent Indonesia everybody would not only have religious freedom, but also that there would be religious peace. Therefore on the instigation of Bung Karno, who had formulated the Panta-Sila, the principle of Almighty God was accepted as the fifth pillar and in this way the state ideology came to consist of two layers, namely a political foundation and a moral foundation. After the formulation of the Piagem Djkarta of 22 June 1945, which was to be included in the text of the Proclamation of Indonesian Independence... a change was made in the order of these principles... the result of this change... is that without changing the state ideology itself, the state had been given a strong moral basis. The expression "Almighty God" does not only lead to mutual respect between various religions as was at first argued by Bung Karno, but it became the basis which leads to truth, justice, goodness, honesty and fraternity.

Anyone who claims that Tuhan is somehow discriminatory against Buddhism and Hinduism is a fool. It was not intended as such and as Hatta notes it was originally intended to put the state on a moral footing, regardless of creed, something that was emphasized repeatedly and continues to be. This is backed up in the legal judgments of the Constitutional Court as well. The constitution also covers this:

Chapter XI. Religion

Article 29

1. The State shall be based upon the belief in the One and Only God.

2. The State guarantees all persons the freedom of worship, each according to his/her own religion or belief.

(I also hate that translation!)

Huayna Capac357 said:
According to Wiki, Catholicism is the #4 religion.

Catholicism is number #3. After Islam and Protestantism. Depending on how you count this faith it might easily scrape in third although it is commonly counted as the fourth most common religion knocking Hinduism out of that spot. It's also counted in the census under the auspices of a larger religion for which it has nominal ties.

PiMan said:
It is clear their research wasn't very good. I think there is still some logic to my suggestion though.

O Hai. Lets arbitrarily mark the map whenever we feel that a large population of group A exists in some region without regard to the actual proportion of the population that it makes up! A million Muslims in America lets mark it Muslim because there's no shortage of them there!

PiMan said:
And by mixed, I was referring to how places like east Asia are marked as mixed. I think it is supposed to represent where no single religion is in majority, but where a plurality can be determined.

The majority religion is some denomination of Christianity... the census recorded no significant proportion of "tribal religion" responses.

I frankly don't see how that works, Confucianism is measured in the census data and no matter how you force it, it wouldn't reach #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom