Better BAT AI

Not really. I mean, sure, everyone hopes that there are no bugs. The Better BUG AI and now the Better BAT AI mods have been sheltering much fewer of them than most (if not all) other mods, so I've always been very happy with it. And the missing diplomacy text didn't really affect the gameplay (plus it was evidently an easy to find problem... the really annoying bugs are those that are hard to notice and harder to fix).

So, while I understand that you are a bit of a perfectionist and that you of course want your work to be as flawless as possible, I have to say that I wish that all the games and mods out there were even remotely as bug-free as your mod. Kudos to you, Fuyu and all the others that worked on one of the many mods this is based on.
Why, thank you. I do aim to please. [/curtsy] :D

Actually, this wasn't very hard in terms of bugs. It was just a lot of work merging all of the files. The DLL was a little strange, too. I wound up with a formatting error that took over a week to find. (I'm not the best debugger in the world, can you tell? :lol: )

Disclaimer: I haven't actually played the final version yet and now that I said all the above, it will probably be horribly bug-ridden just to prove me wrong. ;)
:trouble:

:lol::lol::p

I'm getting that annoying moving cloud layer in the strategy layer. Can this be disabled?
I forgot to answer this one, sorry.

The short answer is "No", and the reason that I say that, is that it probably requires fiddling with the graphics engine itself, which I either can't do, or don't know how to do. :(

There are a few things that the game doesn't allow you to change, and I'm not sure if that is one of them. If any modder is reading this and knows...

I'll take a look. Thanks! :)

Hey.
Was thinking about integrating the Better Bat AI into my VIP mod, but noticed a huge memory usage (with low res) at about 444MB on a standard size map in the first turn. Why so heavy? AFAIK it doesnt add any content (?)
Also all (or almost all) the BtS icons are "broken" in low res. Thats kind of strange since they havent been visibly modified.
And a last first impression was the wide citybar. It's not centered and hangs to the right of the city.

I know this is just a merge, but I think you know the proper channels better than I, and can inform of the "bugs" the right places to the right people.

cheers
Vincentz

Hey.
Was thinking about integrating the Better Bat AI into my VIP mod, but noticed a huge memory usage (with low res) at about 444MB on a standard size map in the first turn.

<snip>

Also all (or almost all) the BtS icons are "broken" in low res. Thats kind of strange since they havent been visibly modified.
And a last first impression was the wide citybar. It's not centered and hangs to the right of the city.

cheers
Vincentz
Hi.

The huge memory usage is likely due to the high number of unit graphics that are loaded. Each civ has its' own distinct art set. On my machine, BAT tops the 1.5 GB mark on a standard map. Keep in mind, that the collective poly count on the unit graphics is large...

I have no idea why the icons would be broken. You're right in that they haven't been touched. What happens if you use hi rez?
I know this is just a merge, but I think you know the proper channels better than I, and can inform of the "bugs" the right places to the right people.
I suppose it depends on what kind of "bug" we're talking about, and which specific part of the merge it is. If we're talking about BAT or Better BAT AI, then I'm the person that takes care of it. If it's just the Better AI component, which doesn't sound likely in this case, then the Better AI team is whom to contact, or perhaps Fuyu.

Why so heavy? AFAIK it doesnt add any content (?)
BAT itself adds about 700 MB to the Better BAT AI merge. Fuyu's Better BUG AI is quite small in comparison. Maybe that would be a better choice to put into the VIP mod?

yeah ofcourse. its the VD that takes up ram. :)

the icons are usually like this if they get saved with MipMaps On. They look fine in high res.

When i wrote "bugs" with "" it was because they are not breaking anything or making the game unplayable, its purely aesthetical. But even aesthetics should imho count, especially when its quite easy to fix.

The icons should be opened with DXTBmp and saved with MipMaps Off.
The citybar is a bit more complex, and I cant remember excactly how I got it centered, but you can steal the one from my VIP mod.

I found a tiny little bug. Unfortunately it was gone quickly, so I don't know what exactly it said.
The great person (scientist?) Jane Goodall was born in a different civilization and I got a message like "SOMETHING_IN_CAPITAL_LETTERS_JANE_GOODALL was born". Probably not really worth it doing extensive debugging for this but if you feel like it... ;)

Would it be possible to get Better BAT AI with all the extra civs together with one download? Maybe with an installer? :please:

Hey this is great mod, nice and simple. I was wondering if there are any plans to also make this compatible with unofficial bug fixes. Or is that not necessary?

Would it be possible to get Better BAT AI with all the extra civs together with one download? Maybe with an installer? :please:
Um... no. But I have been considering putting all of the civ packs into a single installer, for those (like you) that want to have all of the BXP packs at once. It would mean two installs, rather than just one, but what the heck? :)

The reason is the already huge size of BAT and the resulting download (not because I'm a meanie. :lol:) Adding the BXP packs to the installer would make it quite large. I'm currently working on a new BAT release, which will probably exceed 900 MB (uncompressed), so it would be even larger with the BXP packs added.

Hey this is great mod, nice and simple. I was wondering if there are any plans to also make this compatible with unofficial bug fixes. Or is that not necessary?
Thank you for the compliment. The version of BAT that is included already has the Unofficial Patch 1.6 applied to it. I have to check if there is a new one. If jdogg5000 releases a new UP, it will appear in the next revision.

yeah ofcourse. its the VD that takes up ram. :)

the icons are usually like this if they get saved with MipMaps On. They look fine in high res.

When i wrote "bugs" with "" it was because they are not breaking anything or making the game unplayable, its purely aesthetical. But even aesthetics should imho count, especially when its quite easy to fix.

The icons should be opened with DXTBmp and saved with MipMaps Off.
The citybar is a bit more complex, and I cant remember excactly how I got it centered, but you can steal the one from my VIP mod.
Hi vincentz.

Could you post a screenie of the problem, please? I want to show EF and ruff. This looks like a BUG problem. I haven't touched any of the icons, or the city bar, so I'm not sure how this is happening. :confused:

But thank you for the heads up. We'll look into it. I might be able to release a patch for the problem.

@ Todd Hawks:

Thank you for the bug spotting, Todd. It's just an XML hiccup. I'll alter the necessary file and post it here soon. ;)

Try to set graphics on low and go through the civilizations in the pedia.
Many of the leaderheads are small size. Also other icons get quite blurry. This is a common problem when the DDS are saved with mipmaps on.
The citybar just hangs a bit to the right as shown on the pics. Cant remember if I made it larger or did an actual xml/python modification, but I got it centered a bit more than the "original" wide citybar.

The mobile sam and antitank are blurry, so are the flags and the leaders which in the civ pedia and the foreign advisor are small sized.

The citybar is longer on the right side.

Two installers sounds like a good solution....and no one thinks you're a meanie. :)

What do you have in store for the new BAT? snafusmith's new units, I hope.

Another tiny bug: Sometimes I get a pink square instead of a picture when there is an event... I don't remember which events, though.

Two installers sounds like a good solution....and no one thinks you're a meanie. :)
Hee hee. You'd be surprised. :D

What do you have in store for the new BAT? snafusmith's new units, I hope.
I did get permission from Smitty to use his units a while ago, but never got around to it. NikNaks is lending a hand with some new unit packages. We're still talking about things so far, but I think we both like the idea of moving away from Varietas Delectat and bringing in some of the new creations that have been made for BTS. Maybe he can add a comment to this thread.

Another tiny bug: Sometimes I get a pink square instead of a picture when there is an event... I don't remember which events, though.
I must have really borked something when I unpacked the event images. :(

It looks like I have a days work ahead of me. I'll whip up a small patch and put it on SF in the next couple of days. I really appreciate you poking me in the ribs over these bugs. Perfectionist Lemon, you know. :)

@ vincentz:

I'm pointing EF at this thread to see the screenies. I've never heard anyone using BUG having this issue, but maybe he has. I haven't touched the icon routines, or the icon art, and I'm pretty sure that Fuyu didn't, so this leads me to think it's coming from BUG itself. It's just weird that no one has reported it...

Anyway, the BUG team is on the job! :goodjob:

BUG doesn't add any unit/leaderhead art at all. Does the plain-old BTS game do this too?

As for the citybar, I would love to have a centered bar. Even more, I'd kill to have the whole thing clickable/hoverable. Kudos to the developer that made the code handle the full width of whatever graphic happens to be there. :clap: Shame on them for not taking two minutes to center it. :nono: :lol:

I guess I'll be going through the art tomorrow...

I really thought it was something else. :(

Thanks for looking EF.

I just loaded up BUG at home and set first Low Detail Textures and then Low for Graphics Level, and I could never see the above results. Sorry, Lemon. :(

Its the Beyond_the_Sword_Atlas.dds that has been saved with mipmaps on. Saving it again without mipmaps in DXTBMP should fix both the flags, leaderheads, and a bunch of other icons. (i think/hope ;))

About the citybar. I got it more centered, but its only the left part that is clickable, which is actually a feature (;)) coz then a city can be both selected and deselected easely.

Top Bottom